Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
18 month old threw up 3 times tonight - what to do?

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 11:46 pm
Once was earlier around 6, I thought it was a fluke cuz he was jumping around, was a little bit like spit up
Tonight he threw up a lot at 10:30, gave him a bath and changed everything, gave him a bottle and put back to bed. At 11:30 he woke up and threw up again! He doesn’t have fever. What should I do? I gave him a bottle with water now

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 11:53 pm
Stomach bug going around now. Nothing. Keep him hydrated (ices if needed) and just keep an eye on him.

calvinhobbs

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 11:55 pm
Don’t do water. Ginger ale or tea to soothe the stomach. And see a Dr tom just for your nerves to be calm over yt yk

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 12:06 am
Thank you!

giftedmom

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 12:11 am
No bottles. 5 oz of pedialite every half hour or so.

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 12:16 am
giftedmom wrote:
No bottles. 5 oz of pedialite every half hour or so.

I don’t have pedialite and I’m already in bed, he’s sleeping. Can I get in the morning or is it urgent to do electrolytes?
I have Gatorade - since Yom Kippur is tomorrow! Not sure if a baby can have that

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 12:36 am
amother OP wrote:
I don’t have pedialite and I’m already in bed, he’s sleeping. Can I get in the morning or is it urgent to do electrolytes?
I have Gatorade - since Yom Kippur is tomorrow! Not sure if a baby can have that
my toddler just had this…I gave him a little bit of water before bed and he was fine. Don’t want to give medical advice and don’t know your kid but I think you could wait til the morning

amother
Yellow  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 12:47 am
Wow interesting, my toddler had this last shabbos! I don't know anyone else he could have caught it from. No fever. A few rounds of vomit until he was good and empty (you could tell at the end it was coming up dry) and then a couple of hours later he was ok to nurse. He's still not eating great and his poops are loose so I started mixing probiotics into his food yesterday, it's helped in the past with leaky diapers.

Like you, I had an adult electrolyte drink available and no Pedialyte. I gave him a little. I figured if there's something in there he shouldn't have, a small amount probably won't be enough to cause harm. And if he does need it, a small amount is better than nothing. He's a tiny little thing who had just barfed his guts out and I was worried.

amother
  Yellow

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 12:49 am
amother OP wrote:

Also if he's sleeping then let him sleep. If he's willing to nurse when he wakes up, do that. No water, plain water on an empty stomach could cause electrolyte imbalance - it would take a whole lot of water to do that to an adult which is why we're not generally familiar, but babies are little so it's more sensitive for them.

dena613

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 2:10 am
Don't give food or drink at least a half hour after he throws up. Better to wait an hour.
The new food or drink triggers stomach to throw up again

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 3:39 am
If you have 7 up or sprite you can use it diluted instead of pedialite.
After throwing up they need the sugars and salts in it.
Water doesn't help once dehydration has started setting in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics