Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How do you address a "morah"?

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 1:44 pm
In my daughter's school, they call English teachers Mrs. and Kodesh teachers Morah. For example, Mrs. Cohen might teach math, but Morah Cohen teaches Chumash.

When writing an email to a Kodesh teacher, should I write "Mrs. Cohen" or "Morah Cohen"? How about if I see her in school and want to get her attention ("Mrs. Cohen! I'm so glad to catch you, I wanted to thank you for...")? Or call her on the phone ("Hi, I'm calling for Mrs. Cohen").

I'm assuming Mrs., not Morah. My daughter (elementary school) groans when I do that.

I'm realizing I also find it weird to speak to my preschool child's morah, when my child isn't there. Do I say "Hi, Morah Chani"? Or "Hi, Mrs. Cohen"? Or just "Hi, Chani?"

Really not important to think about before Yom Kippur, but I'm just curious...

Moonlight

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 1:45 pm
I literally call them all "morah". No last name

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 2:01 pm
Moonlight wrote:
I literally call them all "morah". No last name

Even in an email? Like...

Morah,

I wanted to discuss something with you about my daughter, Elana. Can you give me a call when you have a chance?

Best,
Sara

Or on the phone...

"Hi, this is Sara Klein. Can I please speak to Morah?"

happytobemom  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 2:03 pm
I call them whatever they are called to their students

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 2:03 pm
I address them mrs. Cohen. I’m not calling them Morah it’s too weird to me. To make it easier I’ll say Mrs. Cohen the Hebrew teacher of class 602.

happytobemom

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 2:04 pm
Though I'm realizing if I was asking for them on the phone, I would probably ask for Mrs...

AlwaysCleaning

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 2:37 pm
When I talk about her to other people I say "Morah Shira" but if I were to call her house I would say "hi, is Mrs Klein there?"
If she picks up when I call, I would just say "hi, Bla Bla Bla" no name insertion lol

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 5:56 pm
And in an email?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 6:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Even in an email? Like...

Morah,

I wanted to discuss something with you about my daughter, Elana. Can you give me a call when you have a chance?

Best,
Sara

Or on the phone...

"Hi, this is Sara Klein. Can I please speak to Morah?"

Dear Morah Klein,

I hope your school year is off to a great start.

I would appreciate the opportunity to schedule a brief call to discuss Kayla's chumash studies. Please let me know your availability.

Thank you and Gmar Chasima Tova

amother
Mistyrose  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 7:59 pm
If it's the type of school that has email I would say Mrs. I'm thinkling of a very yeshivish school where the moros are all called Morah. But the teachers don't use internet at all.

amother
Hawthorn  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 8:08 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
If it's the type of school that has email I would say Mrs. I'm thinkling of a very yeshivish school where the moros are all called Morah. But the teachers don't use internet at all.

What's the connection with internet?

I'm a preschool Morah. Parents refer to me as "Morah Esti" when they reach out. If they know me from out of school, they will just call me Esti. I'm hardly ever Mrs.
But I wouldn't think anything of it to be called Mrs., either. Just more formal.

amother
  Mistyrose

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 8:13 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
What's the connection with internet?

I'm a preschool Morah. Parents refer to me as "Morah Esti" when they reach out. If they know me from out of school, they will just call me Esti. I'm hardly ever Mrs.
But I wouldn't think anything of it to be called Mrs., either. Just more formal.
Yes preschool is usually morah. And primary/kindergarten. I mean for older grades.

amother
  Hawthorn

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 8:27 pm
amother Mistyrose wrote:
Yes preschool is usually morah. And primary/kindergarten. I mean for older grades.

Still don't see why having internet has anything to do with being a Morah or Mrs?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 10:03 pm
Most parents address me as Morah ________ (my last name, same as the kids call me) in emails but I really wouldn't overthink it. Mrs. ________ is fine/normal too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette