Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Would you tell the mother about bullying
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 4:00 pm
My dd in grade 2 came to me to tell me that everyone is picking on one particular girl in her class. The thing is they had the same class last year and this was an issue she mentioned then as well. One of the girls pushed her today and the girl did tell the teacher so I imagine they are aware. Do I get involved and call the mother in case she’s not aware that this bullying is getting worse? Our daughters are friends, but I’m only friendly with the mother.

amother
Tomato

Post Yesterday at 4:02 pm
My kid was bullied and I wish other's had called to tell me about it. I only found out when it was out of control. I'd for sure tell her.

oneofakind

Post Yesterday at 4:03 pm
Of course

amother
Milk

Post Yesterday at 4:09 pm
I would phone her.
Even if the mother is aware, it may make her feel better to know that parents and classmates are sticking up for her child. It’s very lonely to be a bullying victim.

amother
Candycane

Post Yesterday at 4:22 pm
Had that with my son when he was 5. I didn't know the mom. I called the rebbi. He was aware of the issue but I told him what my son said the kids where doing when he didn't see. I also had my son invite him over one day to play. I hope it made a difference

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Yesterday at 4:39 pm
Yes. Even if she knows it will mean something to her to know kids and their mothers care.

shanie5

Post Yesterday at 6:46 pm
I am still grateful to the mother who told me about my dd being bullied. I spoke to the main bullys mom and she did get involved-teaching her daughter not to bully.
This was about 20 years ago and like I said, I'm still appreciative today.

amother
Sage

Post Yesterday at 6:51 pm
A second grader? Definitely.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:56 pm
Thanks all for your replies. I guess I was feeling like surely the mother knows it’s happening and it may feel like adding salt to a wound if I brought it up to her without even having a relationship with her. I will speak with the mother as soon as I can. Thanks!

amother
Heather

Post Yesterday at 6:59 pm
Yes!!! Please call ! My ds was bullied on the bus and wouldn't tell me about it . A lot of mothers knew and wouldn't tell me but one mother did and I immediately got the school involved . Its not easy for the victims to talk about it

amother
Lightpink

Post Yesterday at 7:00 pm
Another option is to call the teacher and tell her that you've become aware that there is a bullying situation going on in her class. Ask her if she is aware and what she's doing about it. It's not your daughter being bullied, but it's still an unhealthy and unacceptable environment. I think it would be good if it's not just the bullied girl's mom complaining.

amother
Red

Post Yesterday at 7:02 pm
When my daughter was saying that a girl in her class was being bullied, I called the teacher & the principal. Kids being bullied is something that breaks my heart.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 7:21 pm
amother Red wrote:
When my daughter was saying that a girl in her class was being bullied, I called the teacher & the principal. Kids being bullied is something that breaks my heart.

So I’m not opposed to doing that either but I felt like maybe the mother should have a say on if she wanted me to or not? Also my daughter was very worked up at the possibility of me calling the principal and didn’t want to be singled out as “the girl who told”. Even after I told her that wouldn’t happen she got very upset that I would humiliate her like that.

amother
Wisteria

Post Yesterday at 7:32 pm
This sounds like exactly what I’m dealing with now, as the teacher. I’m trying to address it but I don’t always have enough information about what’s going on. I would be very happy if the parent would share with me so I can help figure out what to do.

amother
Sunflower

Post Yesterday at 8:22 pm
My son (5/6 yr old) had this last year. He is a really sweet, good natured boy, and didn’t tell me for months… maybe even he didn’t realize to what extent it was going.

Suddenly, it all came spilling out and then he told me what was going on every day. I got the Rebbi involved, but it was too late to change those kids’ behavior.

One mother called the Rebbi at that point and I felt so validated when the Rebbi told me and asked how my son was doing… it helped him take it seriously again. I was so grateful to her.

The only thing that actually worked was changing my son’s class to another class that he already had friends in. I felt he was too young to really deal with it on his own at this point, especially because they simply just chose him for no reason. Bh he is so happy now.

But it did teach me to speak up if I’m ever in the situation to help another child.

flowerpower

Post Yesterday at 8:29 pm
Yes!!! Someone called to tell me that my dd was being bullied none stop by the same kid. I called the school immediately. To this day I appreciate that phone call

unexpected

Post Yesterday at 10:54 pm
When my child told me about a girl being bullied I called the school, principals, teachers etc and was basically told not to get involved. When the situation deteriorated I told the mother. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that schools will allow bullying to take place right under their noses and won't take action unless they see something. Girls who bully are very good at doing it in school without the teacher seeing. Often they are the children of parents who are exclusive themselves and teachers are too intimidated to approach the parents so they brush it under the rug and tell themselves that if they don't see it it doesn't exist.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Today at 12:09 am
How about when a kid is being bullied by the teacher?
Dc came home to tell me that a different kid is being bullied by a teacher. I called both the principal and kids mom. The mom was so thankful. She said her dc was coming home in such a bad mood but she couldn’t get out of dc what was happening. She wasn’t sure if it was just because of a long day at school…
(Unfortunately the principal told the teacher that I was the one that called in. The teacher then tried to butter up to me by sending home letters they had from a grandparent of mine,but I just ignored that)
But please call the mom because she might not know exactly what is happening. Just like this one didn’t.

amother
Watermelon

Post Today at 12:41 am
amother OP wrote:
My dd in grade 2 came to me to tell me that everyone is picking on one particular girl in her class. The thing is they had the same class last year and this was an issue she mentioned then as well. One of the girls pushed her today and the girl did tell the teacher so I imagine they are aware. Do I get involved and call the mother in case she’s not aware that this bullying is getting worse? Our daughters are friends, but I’m only friendly with the mother.

Absolutely tell the victim's mother.

Never bother with a bully's mother, she and her husband are probably bullies too. (Bully kids have bully parents.)

amother
DarkRed

Post Today at 12:57 am
My son was bullied. He would come home crying every day. I had meetings after meeting with the teachers and principals. Sometimes it helped but mostly it didn’t. I found that the rebbi backed the bully more than once because of my son’s extreme reaction(crying and screaming) last year, I actually think the rebbis approach enabled the boys to continue. He couldn’t stand my son to the point that after Pesach he told the principal he can no longer be in his class. They ended up skipping him a grade and it was a game changer for him. Bli ain hara chasdei Hashem he is doing so so well. I think if mothers would have called me and backed me it would have made me feel better though idk if it would have changed the situation. I did discuss it with my friends that are parents in that class but it didn’t do much. I thank Hashem every day that it’s history and iyh he will continue to succeed in a healthier environment.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics