Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
$1.60 in my bank account
  Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 13  14  15  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:20 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Also, your income is pretty low, but still doable in Cleveland. With your income, you likely are not paying any tuition for children Kindergarten and above due to EdChoice income expansion. Even if you are not eligible for Medicaid insurance for you and your husband, you could go on United Refuah which is $349 a couple, I believe. You should be Medicaid eligible for your children.
You said your mortgage is $1600, I believe. You should still have plenty left for utilities and food, if you are careful.

Me and my husband's combined salary is not much larger than yours, though my family may be smaller. (and that is only due to a large raise this year. Last year I was making significantly less than you.) I do not consider myself poor at all. I never have to worry about putting food on the table. We have everything we need, and many things we want.
Something is not adding up...
Have you worked with an organization like Mesila?

How many kids do you have? Ages?

I have big kids, so many expenses. Uniforms, car, insurance, mortgage, utilities, childcare, debt to pay back, and more…

amother
  Ginger  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:20 pm
According to Gesher's website you would qualify for food stamps with a family size of 8.

amother
  Ginger  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:22 pm
Also, I assume you qualify for day care vouchers?

amother
  OP  

Yes that is correct

amother
  OP  

amother Ginger wrote:
Also, I assume you qualify for day care vouchers?

No…

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:26 pm
OP I know you're running 2 businesses but maybe it's time to take a full time job that runs all year and provides a steady living wage.
Hashem should send you parnasa b'revach quickly and much menuchas hanefesh.

amother
Camellia  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:15 pm
You mentioned a three year old child- do you get WIC?
Have you tried heap, pipp and other utilities programs?

amother
  Coral  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:21 pm
People have said I'm being harsh. I'm truly not trying to be harsh, just realistic. OP needs to be realistic about their finances. Someone needs to be working more. Instead of waiting for this raise to materialize, the husband needs to work more. Perhaps he can train for a different career, but someone needs to be making more money to solve these issues. How do I know? I also work in a highly specialized career, my husband too, and every time we've had a child or moved and needed to increase our salaries, we took on unpaid trainings or extra certificates to earn more/get hire paying jobs. I get it, it's not easy to constantly apply for jobs, take on trainings, but in the long run, that's how you get higher incomes.

The husband, I get it. Truly I do. My husband is a successful man but every time we have a new child, the salaries don't cut it. He gets mad and argues and fights when I say it, but again, I'm trying to be realistic and trying to get him to understand the numbers. It causes some drama between us but he always relents eventually. For me, the financial security of my children always comes first. I don't enjoy fighting with my husband, but he has to be pushed to see reality, and then he's happy he made changes for the benefit of his family. Again, not trying to be harsh. As a BT, I don't relate to the FFB mentality of money. One of my FFB friends asked what I'm always saving and earning for and why I don't spend every dime I have. Because one day the dimes may not come in, what to do then?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:33 pm
Have you reached out to Gesher? They are a great resource regarding eligible programs and they can provide you with specific information and help you apply.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:39 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
OP I know you're running 2 businesses but maybe it's time to take a full time job that runs all year and provides a steady living wage.
Hashem should send you parnasa b'revach quickly and much menuchas hanefesh.

Yes but in the long run a business will be better, I gotta start somewhere. I do work now also, but can’t work full time because of childcare

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:40 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
You mentioned a three year old child- do you get WIC?
Have you tried heap, pipp and other utilities programs?

Yes we get wic. B”H it gives milk, cheese, yogurt, cereal, eggs. Lasts about 2 weeks maximum.

We get heap. Pipp doesn’t make sense for us because it would make our payments more (gesher helped us figure that out), and we are on water and sewer reduction

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:40 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
Have you reached out to Gesher? They are a great resource regarding eligible programs and they can provide you with specific information and help you apply.

Yes. They’re the ones who told me that we make too much for Medicaid and snap

amother
  Coral  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes but in the long run a business will be better, I gotta start somewhere. I do work now also, but can’t work full time because of childcare

It's not true that businesses are always better in the long run. It's a gamble. Sometimes the gamble is worth the risk, but gainful employment can also pay dividends in the form of promotions and raises.

amother
  Leaf  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

Don't mean to be harsh, but working 26h a MONTH with $1.60 in the bank and no food for Yom tov, cc debts, and mortgage arrears might not be the time to start a business as opposed to working more hours, even at a different job, from home, etc.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:02 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
Don't mean to be harsh, but working 26h a MONTH with $1.60 in the bank and no food for Yom tov, cc debts, and mortgage arrears might not be the time to start a business as opposed to working more hours, even at a different job, from home, etc.

Good so what can I do from home? (I can’t tutor or teach, not home the right hours to babysit)

amother
  Leaf  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:02 pm
https://www.snapscreener.com/guides/ohio
OP, are you sure you aren't eligible for SNAP?
Is your 50K+15K income gross or net?
Please check the income guidelines here and do the screening.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:04 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
https://www.snapscreener.com/guides/ohio
OP, are you sure you aren't eligible for SNAP?
Is your 50K+15K income gross or net?
Please check the income guidelines here and do the screening.

Yes we are not eligible.

amother
  Forestgreen

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:11 pm
You could make $40 from this

Hi everyone,

I’m an occupational therapy doctoral student at YU, and I work in the research lab. Our research team is conducting a study to develop tech-based tools for children play experiences. We’re looking for parents with a child ages 1-6 to participate in the study.

It’s only 30 mins of your time, your personal identification is strictly confidential, and you will receive a gift card as a token of appreciation. It truly makes a difference with understanding child development and play!

If you are interested, please pm me for more info: Chani

You can also click this link: https://yeshiva.co1.qualtrics......AR66y

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:11 pm
You don't have to answer this question, you don't owe me anything , but I'm curious to know where is your money going??
Yes, your income is not high, BUT
You're not paying tuition, your heating bill is covered. You're getting help with food.
Your mortgage is very low, but you still can't pay it.
So, what ARE you paying for? Where is the $ going?

And to the posters who keep bashing her husband about Tomchei Shabbos. You're making it seem like that's the make it or break it in her life. Yes, it's helpful and necessary in her case for her family to be able to eat, but it's not like she's getting a mortgage payment worth of food. It's not the $70/week worth of food that's putting her over the edge. Her sholom bayis is worth more than that.

amother
  Leaf  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Good so what can I do from home? (I can’t tutor or teach, not home the right hours to babysit)

Are there frum sites with job postings in your area? Job Whatsapp groups?
Maybe medical billing? Bookkeeping?
What kind of remote jobs working for American companies do newly married in Israel get?
Page 9 of 15   Previous  1  2  3 8  9  10 13  14  15  Next Recent Topics