Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Don't fasting pills need FDA approval? Anyone else nervous?

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 6:22 pm
I've always been nervous about taking some fasting pill that has no markings on it other than a hechsher. I have no idea where these things are made and how, and what's really in them. Doesn't a pharmaceutical like tylenol need FDA approval to be sold? I can't just make my own tylenol and sell them, can I? Does this concern anyone else?

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 6:30 pm
I won't touch them. Without ingredients, you can't know if it will interact with your medication, if you might be allergic to something (as simple as something like chamomile which is a problem for people allergic to ragweed), etc. And if you do have a reaction or medical issue that's unrelated and they ask what's in your systeem, you don't know. I'm not against the concept, but ingredients should be mandatory.

Mandelmaker

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 6:34 pm
The Toronto kollel fasting pills were developed by a reputable compounding pharmacist as a fundraiser for them and they are legit. They say what they have in them on the package. I don’t know about any of the others.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 7:04 pm
Nope
Not nervous
Trust them more than the FDA

amother
Zinnia  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 7:12 pm
The slow release Toronto pills make me ill. I'm fine with the kal tzom supplements.

smss

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 7:19 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
The slow release Toronto pills make me ill. I'm fine with the kal tzom supplements.

How do you know that they made you ill and you weren't just ill from fasting?
Unlike the kali tzom, the Toronto fasting pills only start releasing 12 hours after you take them.

amother
  Zinnia

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 7:24 pm
smss wrote:
How do you know that they made you ill and you weren't just ill from fasting?
Unlike the kali tzom, the Toronto fasting pills only start releasing 12 hours after you take them.

Because I compare it to how I fast on kal tzom. My mother also got crazy headaches anytime she took it and she couldn't sleep. The slow release was messed up.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 7:40 pm
Mandelmaker wrote:
The Toronto kollel fasting pills were developed by a reputable compounding pharmacist as a fundraiser for them and they are legit.

Legit according to whom? Shouldn't we expect some sort of pharmaceutical "hashgacha" before we put potentially dangerous chemicals into our bodies?

miami85  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 7:43 pm
Most vitamins and herbal supplements have no FDA approval.

Since what we've come to know about how effective and legit the FDA was with regard to the covid vaccine (yes it was helpful for many, but also downplayed many side effects and no long-term research on others) what does the FDA's approval really mean?

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 7:46 pm
Acetaminophen is otc. Are there actually any laws about compounding and selling otc drugs?

I personally wouldn't take anything that doesn't list ingredients and I don't take unbranded supplements either but that has nothing to do with the FDA.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:00 pm
miami85 wrote:
Most vitamins and herbal supplements have no FDA approval.

Since what we've come to know about how effective and legit the FDA was with regard to the covid vaccine (yes it was helpful for many, but also downplayed many side effects and no long-term research on others) what does the FDA's approval really mean?

We know the fraudvax FDA approval was political. I still trust the FDA's approval with ordinary non-controversial stuff

amother Nasturtium wrote:
Acetaminophen is otc. Are there actually any laws about compounding and selling otc drugs?

I dunt know, but see target brand advil: https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/d.....cef44 Says there was an abbreviated new drug application.

Molly Weasley

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:56 pm
Most of the world isn't controlled by the tyranny of the FDA

Ima_Shelli

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:16 pm
Compounded drugs do not require FDA approval.

amother
Oleander

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 9:28 pm
None of the vitamins have fda approval or checks. Are you afraid of those as well. Do you take vitamin c, iron. Who checks those?

They make me sick.

I take caffeine/Advil suppositories made at my local pharmacy. If I trust them to dispense drugs correctly I guess I can trust them with this.

miami85

Post Yesterday at 1:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
I dunt know, but see target brand advil: https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/d.....cef44 Says there was an abbreviated new drug application.

But I'm not familiar with anything that's in the realm of holistic medicine that has FDA approval. Not the "Toronto" pill but the kalizom and pelezom etc are a mixture of herbs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur