Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Do you make a donation if you daven at a shul?

Do you give a donation?
Yes  
 68%  [ 15 ]
No  
 31%  [ 7 ]
Other, please explain  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 3:56 pm
If you are staying somewhere away and you/DH daven at another shul, do you give a donation?
On vacation?
Staying at relatives?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:07 pm
Dh usually buys an Aliyah

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:08 pm
Yes. I'm sure there have been times when I forgot, but generally yes. DH and I believe in doing this. Our parents do the same.

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:11 pm
My father always taught me this. He went to Miami for business twice a year and we kids occasionally joined him (he travelled many other places but this was a trip we joined because it was one of the closer ones).

He gave a sizeable donation to the shul he davened shachris and shabbos by and more token donations anywhere he went for mincha.

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:11 pm
Yes we usually make a donation and then many times we buy Aliyah’s, sponsor a kiddush etc. one year we bought Chosson Bereishis for a few thousand. Depends where and what time of year and what they ask for.

I think it’s only mentshlich to pay to a Shul or Chabad that hosts you.

The only place I’ve ever been more hesitant and we did end up giving just not as much as usual was a Chabad house where we already paid a lot for room and board (close to 2k just for Shabbos for 5 people with 2 bedrooms that weren’t private)

amother
DarkOrange

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:12 pm
Yes. DH always leaves a donation at shuls he davens at when we're on vacation.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:18 pm
If for a shabbos probably buy an Aliyah. If for a random weekday minyan here or there, no. It literally never crossed my mind…

Molly Weasley

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:19 pm
Yes. Unless it's a weekday Mincha/marrive.

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:23 pm
We have an Airbnb near us that is booked with multiple families weekly. We are a small shul. Host a small hot kiddush. Always invite guests to join. Aliyas are free. rarely to never do ppl give after Shabbos.

amother
Gardenia

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:26 pm
If we went on a vacation. Definitely.

If husband got an important aliya while away at family and still there after shabbos/ Yom tov. yes.

If we stam go to family for a shabbos no probably not unless there is a specific campaign going on and husband was asked to give

Golde

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:26 pm
No. I didn't know it was a thing. We have done on occasion if we had a particularly nice welcome, the shul was just starting up, or other, but we don't do it as a regular thing.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 4:30 pm
I am part of an upstate NY summer community that has a shul. Unfortunately,many people come up for a Shabbos,a week,a month or even the entire season and don’t give a penny towards the shul or eiruv or the men’s mikvah. It creates a terrible feeling of resentment.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 6:12 pm
To daven once now. To go to a kiddush or something yes

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 6:52 pm
Ive never thought about it as a thing. When we go to family for shabbos and DH goes to shul he doesn't give a donation.
Is this expected?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics