Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Book recommendation on why to believe
Previous  1  2  3

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 6:32 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
ITS DEFINITELY HER! the way she answers each time exactly the same way.
Ppl please report her .

Excuse me??? I have never started a thread like this before. This is so offensive.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 6:34 pm
amother Moccasin wrote:
I don't know if this will help you because it's not really a good reason to believe, but it is my thought process:

I believe that there is some kind of First Cause entity that we refer to in English as "God" and we will never be able to understand it, like microbes trying to understand Einstein. Period. All the explanations of relationships and whatnot are just our microbe-level human rationalizations trying to cope with that.

I believe that absent supernatural intervention, it is extraordinarily unlikely that the Jews would still exist, in the sense of a cohesive people who have maintained (more or less) a culture, traditions, texts, and group identity across multiple millennia and a worldwide diaspora. I don't know of any other group that has achieved this to the same degree, although I'm sure there could be.

Basically, I believe in the Jewish people and I believe in God. That's enough for me.

I like this. It’s not enough. But it’s the most convincing so far. I do believe in the Jewish people too.

PinkFridge  

Post Today at 6:34 pm
Midnight, why don't you contact a moderator and voice your concerns?

amother
Feverfew  

Post Today at 6:36 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
Your the op of the previous threads questioning God. STOP OPENING THREADS! We all believe in hashem and have a loving relationship with him! We are living beautiful and meaningful torahdiga lives! We love doing mitzvos and davening to hashem!

She isn't that OP, because I am one of the others. You'd be surprised just how many of us there are out there, just going about our day either like OP, who is happy as she is, or like me, trying to make do with balancing a deep fervent wish that it would be true, with the knowledge that I've done a ton of research and none of it makes sense. I spend my time going about my daily routine (including scheduling and arranging shiurim for my shul) feeling a tremendous chasm between me and the people around me, doing things with them while my brain yells "It's all crazy! It's made up!".

None of us are doing this because it's fun. No one says. " I think people who believe are stupid cultists who have their head in the sand, let me have some fun." It hurts, it really hurts. Sometimes I wish I hadn't had the mind to want to know things and just stay in my blissful cocoon where all is good and Hashem loves me despite all the bad that happens etc. There is a reason why threads like this are opened. It's because women want to talk about their feelings and sometimes, as is the case with OP, ask for advice on how to relate to the idea of Hashem. You want us to shut up? That wouldn't be fair to us. There is a private forum for women whose husbands are struggling with Yiddishkeit, but none for women who are struggling themselves. Until there is one, we will have to open threads that are visible to everyone. Telling everyone who voices their feelings on this issue that they are just looking to stir things up is invalidating and hurtful.

honey36

Post Today at 6:40 pm
OP, you came on here asking for book recommendations. A lot of good books were listed. Why don't you start with those, and then if you still have questions you can come back here and ask.

PinkFridge  

Post Today at 6:43 pm
amother Feverfew wrote:
She isn't that OP, because I am one of the others. You'd be surprised just how many of us there are out there, just going about our day either like OP, who is happy as she is, or like me, trying to make do with balancing a deep fervent wish that it would be true, with the knowledge that I've done a ton of research and none of it makes sense. I spend my time going about my daily routine (including scheduling and arranging shiurim for my shul) feeling a tremendous chasm between me and the people around me, doing things with them while my brain yells "It's all crazy! It's made up!".

None of us are doing this because it's fun. No one says. " I think people who believe are stupid cultists who have their head in the sand, let me have some fun." It hurts, it really hurts. Sometimes I wish I hadn't had the mind to want to know things and just stay in my blissful cocoon where all is good and Hashem loves me despite all the bad that happens etc. There is a reason why threads like this are opened. It's because women want to talk about their feelings and sometimes, as is the case with OP, ask for advice on how to relate to the idea of Hashem. You want us to shut up? That wouldn't be fair to us. There is a private forum for women whose husbands are struggling with Yiddishkeit, but none for women who are struggling themselves. Until there is one, we will have to open threads that are visible to everyone.

I feel for you ladies. This month means a lot of work and absent meaning, it might just seem like so much drudgery.

I don't think Yael would be thrilled to give you your own forum. It's one thing if people want support to deal with husbands when they're not on the same page. But presumably, they are with the program and believe. To give people unmoderated space to vent to each other (and maybe have some constructive conversations) to me doesn't seem to be part of her vision and not something her advisors would recommend hosting.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 7:02 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I feel for you ladies. This month means a lot of work and absent meaning, it might just seem like so much drudgery.

I don't think Yael would be thrilled to give you your own forum. It's one thing if people want support to deal with husbands when they're not on the same page. But presumably, they are with the program and believe. To give people unmoderated space to vent to each other (and maybe have some constructive conversations) to me doesn't seem to be part of her vision and not something her advisors would recommend hosting.

Side point but I actually love chagim. I enjoy the traditions and rituals, the time spent with family and friends.

PinkFridge

Post Today at 7:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Side point but I actually love chagim. I enjoy the traditions and rituals, the time spent with family and friends.

But not hours spent in shul or fasting? Wink

amother
Pewter

Post Today at 7:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I currently don’t feel any need to connect to or believe in G-d. I feel like my life is very full and busy and generally happy and I don’t see how believing in G-d will help it be better. I keep the basics and I’m fine with keeping those basics because I enjoy them and think they are good for me as a person. I don’t have a problem being “frum” but not believing. It feels fine to me. The only reason I see to believe and connect to G-d is if something bad happens, but I absolutely do not want to do it for that reason because that sounds like anxious thinking to me and I don’t want to connect to G-d just because I want something from him.
Anyways, I decided that I should really see if there are any very convincing arguments before I totally give up. Anyone have any really good books that explain why my life would be better if I believed in G-d?

I don’t think anyone can convince you to choose to want to believe.
I lived similarly for years, until I had a wake up call which led to a major turnaround. Let me tell you, there is nothing sweeter than the feeling of being a part of Hashems chosen nation, and having the privilege of keeping the Torah. Meditating and talking to Hashem daily is such a gift.
You say “believe”, but really it’s “knowing” that Hashem exists. Once you know you know.
I’ve read the Ramchal’s sefarim , Derech Hashem and Daas Tevunos.
Also read R’ Avgidor Miller’s history book series (Behold a people is one of them)
Meditated daily for months and months.
I can sit and cry for hours over the lost years of taking life for granted and not knowing Hashem.
So, again, no one can convince you to want to believe, but as a fellow sister I can tell you it’s worth it.

amother
Crocus

Post Today at 7:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
No I don’t feel empty at all. As I said my life is very full and I also have many other things I’m interested and passionate about. I’m very intellectual and read a ton of literature. I love travel and learning about different kinds of people. I’m super interested in history and philosophy. I love nature.
I just don’t really connect those things to God.

I think I always felt this way but would kind of delude myself when I was younger.

My parents are Chabad baal teshuvas who are very into connection with god and are mystified as to why I am not.
My husband knows and isn’t bothered by it. He feels somewhat similarly.

If you are intellectual and read a ton of literature, give our very own Tanya a chance.
Likutei Torah/Torah Ohr- have you ever learned the parsha of the week with these maamorim? They are mind blowingly inspirational.
Sichos in English has so many published sefarim, translated.
Our Rebbeim sacrificed so much to pass our heritage on to us. Let us not take it for granted. "Taste it and you will see the G-d is good."

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Today at 7:49 pm
OP, kudos to you for opening this thread and trying to seek help even though you seem to be indifferent. As someone whose husband is involved in both Kiruv Rechokim and Krovim and deals with many intellects such as yourself, trust me that you are not alone.

The way I see it and the way my husband guides people is that acknowledging and affirming G-d’s existence is the very basic premise of incorporating Him into your life, understanding His ways (at a human leve) and actually appreciating His existence. That may take reading several books or speaking to several knowledgeable people; both which may ultimately challenge you to be open to the fact that not all of your questions may be answered with logic because our human minds are extremely limited in understanding the concept of G-d. That may sound simple but this is actually an extremely difficult concept for many people to accept. Not everyone can go along accepting something that cannot be concretely proven. However, this very idea is often the framework needed in believing in the Higher Power to begin with. When we understand that we as humans can accept the fact that we simply cannot fathom the idea of a Supernatural Power creating everything in the world from the vast seas to the tiny atom, you and me included, it opens up the window for us to believe that such a Being can exist.

I’m not sure if that makes sense. I’d love to hear your feedback. Good luck on your journey and I hope you find the answers you are seeking.

amother
  Feverfew

Post Today at 8:52 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

I honestly love Yom Tov. I don't get spiritual connection from it but I love the tradition and the family time.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational