Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/o do you actively remember what you were taught?

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 6:02 pm
or is it just a general sense of feeling indoctrinated in a specific way?
do you recall actual lessons on torah, tznius, the value of supporting a learning husband, Hashem's love or lack thereof for us?
I see this constantly here and I wonder how much do you actually remember or it's a vague sense of "I must have been taught thing in school if I believe this now"?

yiddishmom

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 6:07 pm
12 years since I graduated.

I do remember some focused points.

Example: I remember learning that one of the ways to explain the words "v'romamtonu mikol halashonos", can mean to say that we are so special, we are above what words can describe.

Different such things throughout tefilla, tehillim, tanach, etc.

I did realize that I don't remember all that much, so I started listening to more shiurim and want to start some sort of learning program after the yom tov season, beH.

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 6:08 pm
I recall many lessons in vivid detail. Many things that are fuzzy I’ve looked up as an adult.

Why do you think anyone is indoctrinated. We follow the Torah and Halacha because we believe it’s the truth and the way we are supposed to live. We should be forever learning and growing and not relying on our childhood memories.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 6:12 pm
Of course I remember specifically being taught these things.

amother
Caramel

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 8:06 pm
I remember certain things in detail and I know there are also things that I don’t recall.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 8:10 pm
Nearly zero memories of elementary and high school .. for better or worse

amother
Cobalt  

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 8:18 pm
I'm confused. You think anyone who goes through years of yeshiva education is indoctrinated?

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 8:21 pm
I remember a lot of things
Graduated 2013

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 8:50 pm
I remember things that had an impact on me or something I found fascinating. I don’t remember every lesson but if you remind me I will remember. If you ask about an idea/ topic I will be able to give you a solid response without knowing which teacher or class I learned it in but I do remember that I did learn it.
Some things my elementary teachers made me memorize I still remember or I’ll be reading about it somewhere and it will come back to me.
I have an awful memory these days and I lost a lot of my memory during one of my pregnancies but I still remember the important things I learned.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 8:52 pm
Graduated in 1982 and remember lots.

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 9:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
or is it just a general sense of feeling indoctrinated in a specific way?
I remember hating our tznius police lady but I never challenged her like some girls did. I went thru many phases of tznius and I mostly learned by copying those who I admired spiritually …not by being indoctrinated although I was grateful for 8th grade rebbe who taught us to cover our legs with tights/pantyhose. (Outreach school—otherwise kinda weird to be taught by a man)
do you recall actual lessons on torah,
I remember finding themes in Torah and then same theme in English and science and being enthralled. It felt like hashem was lacing them together. I saw His oneness.

tznius, the value of supporting a learning husband,
I was never taught this bec didn’t go to Beis Yaakov but in seminary it maybe come up a little. I never really valued it until I experienced it. My feminism made it harder for me but I overcame that bec of my love for Hashem

Hashem's love or lack thereof for us?
I was taught this indirectly thru the study of chassidus. Mostly in seminary.

I see this constantly here and I wonder how much do you actually remember or it's a vague sense of "I must have been taught thing in school if I believe this now"?

A lot is taught thru role modeling.

amother
Magnolia

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 10:10 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
Graduated in 1982 and remember lots.

Same

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 11:22 pm
I remember hilchos shabbos classes quite well, but everything else, specifically hashkafa, I don’t want to remember bc it doesn’t align with who I really am. I now listen to classes which align with who I really am.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:29 am
I didnt mean to say we are indoctrinated. I formed my own value system as an adult. I think very little of it was formed by lessons in school.
I see threads often where posters say they were indoctrinated with a certain belief that isn't true or isn't serving them well now so that's why I'm asking.

amother
  Cobalt

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:37 am
amother OP wrote:
I didnt mean to say we are indoctrinated. I formed my own value system as an adult. I think very little of it was formed by lessons in school.
I see threads often where posters say they were indoctrinated with a certain belief that isn't true or isn't serving them well now so that's why I'm asking.

So I think what most of us are telling you is that actual facts, halacha or chumash or navi or anything like that which e spent a lot of time memorizing, we probably remember. Hashkafa and the likes? We might remember but we choose to filter based on what works for us now.
It's true that in some sects certain ideas are stressed on a lot and made out to be the Truth but I still wouldn't call it indoctrination based off my own experience with realigning these ideas and seeing how other do so.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:52 am
I graduated in 94. There are some teachers who I remember lots of their lessons. There are some boring teachers who I didn't even know what they were talking about when they taught me. There are some teachers who were so passionate about specific topics that I remember what they said on those topics. Most teachers are somewhere in between.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics