Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
This weeks Family First
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
  Molasses  

Post Yesterday at 8:00 am
As an abuse survivor, my ds niece does not trigger me... Story isn't so realistic.

foreverone

Post Yesterday at 8:52 am
Story still makes no sense

amother
Rose

Post Yesterday at 8:56 am
It made no sense to me either

amother
  Oxfordblue

Post Yesterday at 8:58 am
amother Molasses wrote:
As an abuse survivor, my ds niece does not trigger me... Story isn't so realistic.

Different people get triggered by different things.

amother
Apple

Post Yesterday at 9:06 am
My assumption was that she was abused at age 13 and never received help. For whatever reason, seeing someone so vulnerable made those memories resurface, and the negative emotions associated with her own past experience got mixed into her current day family situation.

I do think it could have been edited for better clarity.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 9:09 am
amother Apple wrote:
My assumption was that she was abused at age 13 and never received help. For whatever reason, seeing someone so vulnerable made thos6e memories resurface, and the negative emotions associated with her own past experience got mixed into her current day family situation.

I do think it could have been edited for better clarity.

She said first she was in attic, had lint on her, then she also said she was roaming the hallways. I'm so confused.

One second I thought abuse, the next minute I thought she encountered a spider or crawly creature.

And the connection with a ds niece, after such a long time, was strange.

amother
Babypink  

Post Yesterday at 9:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Did anyone understand the story
"It takes a village"?
I didn't grasp what she went thru to realize the ending...

I thought she had a down syndrome sibling that her parents gave up for adoption and never saw again

ladYdI

Post Yesterday at 9:43 pm
So who’s writing a letter to the editor for an explanation?!

amother
Raspberry

Post Yesterday at 9:59 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
I thought she had a down syndrome sibling that her parents gave up for adoption and never saw again

That makes a lot more sense.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:12 pm
amother Babypink wrote:

So who was it coming at her?

amother
  Babypink

Post Yesterday at 10:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
So who was it coming at her?

it would make sense that as a child she thought maybe her parents would give her up too.
the truth is, this makes the most sense but I don't think this is the case. its more likely some abuse story that was not written well.

amother
Seablue  

Post Yesterday at 10:51 pm
If the story was trying to excuse away unacceptable behavior towards a sibling who just had a ds child, and towards the ds child herself, because of some vague, unexplained trauma in the protagonist’s childhood, that’s problematic right there. As adults we’re sometimes triggered by something that takes us back to a traumatic event. That doesn’t make it okay to be mean to anyone, ds, neurotypical or whatever.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:05 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
it would make sense that as a child she thought maybe her parents would give her up too.
the truth is, this makes the most sense but I don't think this is the case. its more likely some abuse story that was not written well.

A 13 year old? It doesn't make sense.
The whole idea she couldn't accept this child until she was older is weird. It's not her child, and her sister clearly loved her.

amother
Dill

Post Yesterday at 11:07 pm
When I read it I thought for sure they left out a paragraph or a few sentences. There is no way they intended for the audience to understand the story as it was printed.

amother
Jasmine

Post Today at 4:42 am
To me it seemed like she had once encountered a child with down syndrome (maybe at a friend's house?) who was not cared for, loved, or protected, and that child had attacked her (possibly because she was neglected, and couldn't speak or express herself properly), and she had trauma from that.

As the mother of a beautiful child with down syndrome, I had mixed feelings about the story. I think the point that it takes a village to raise a child, and everyone needs to help out in some way, isn't bad. I do think that people relating in a positive way to both the parents, child, and siblings is important. I don't know if it really means that the grandparents need to shell out cash, as was implied. I think the way they related to Miri was over the top "cutie girlie" - if other children aren't related to in that way, please don't relate to the girl with down syndrome like that!

I also think that while it was hard for the aunt to accept the niece unconditionally immediately, realistically, she would have faked it until she was able to accept her for real. And taking over a year to accept the baby that she saw all the time is way too long, totally unrealistic. Also, she could have helped her very close sister in other ways even while she had trouble accepting to the baby, which was strange.

amother
Viola

Post Today at 5:26 am
Glad I wasn’t the only one who was confused.

amother
Banana

Post Today at 5:28 am
Can anyone summarise the article?

I only read the ami (not this weeks)
And there was an article about a woman with a daughter with DS.
im getting confused here.

UQT

Post Today at 8:34 am
Very hard to summarize as it completely made no sense. How does such an article get past the editors. Did they all understand it?

amother
  Molasses

Post Today at 9:05 am
This style of writing is super trendy .... I don't think it was a mistake

amother
  Seablue

Post Today at 10:01 am
amother Molasses wrote:
This style of writing is super trendy .... I don't think it was a mistake

It may be super trendy, and it’s always nice to know we’re being provided with the latest writing styles, but I’m curious if anyone enjoys it. Reading fiction is supposed to be entertaining. Does anyone find this entertaining?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room