Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O $150k a year- low food budget- how??
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
  Myrtle  

Post Today at 2:20 pm
amother Azure wrote:
Instant oats is more expensive than cereal and yogurt

(Which is fine, and I think I'm going to start introducing that because winter and hit breakfast sounds great. But being that this thread is discussing specifically from a price perspective, we must admit it's more expensive)

Not really. A canister of instant oats costs the same $4 as a canister of old fashioned.

If you mean the packets, yeah, but not by much. Going by Walmart prices here, but it's under $4 for a box of 20.

amother
  Lilac

Post Today at 3:06 pm
amother Azure wrote:
Instant oats is more expensive than cereal and yogurt

(Which is fine, and I think I'm going to start introducing that because winter and hit breakfast sounds great. But being that this thread is discussing specifically from a price perspective, we must admit it's more expensive)

Real life hack- pour boiling water on instant oats in a bowl. Add salt, maple syrup or sugar as desired. Let sit five minutes and mix. Just as good as instant oatmeal in the packet.

joker  

Post Today at 5:06 pm
I don't know one person that uses steel oats to save money or doesn't buy yogurtS due to expense . Not one. I think when most people get to that point they are getting government funding which includes yogurts etc
Personally I wouldn't advise making a big deal about the foods my kids eat As long as it's within reason I def wouldn't make them feel we can't afford for them to eat something . I can only imagine how scary that would be for a child to feel there isn't Enough food. You can refuse purchases and say "we don't need it" or snack bags are special for school. Trauma from the way you discuss money is real

amother
  Myrtle

Post Today at 5:45 pm
joker wrote:
I don't know one person that uses steel oats to save money or doesn't buy yogurtS due to expense . Not one. I think when most people get to that point they are getting government funding which includes yogurts etc
Personally I wouldn't advise making a big deal about the foods my kids eat As long as it's within reason I def wouldn't make them feel we can't afford for them to eat something . I can only imagine how scary that would be for a child to feel there isn't Enough food. You can refuse purchases and say "we don't need it" or snack bags are special for school. Trauma from the way you discuss money is real

We make too much to get SNAP. We don't make enough to spend $2k a month on food.

There is plenty of food. Maybe not the varieties they would prefer, but I don't think my kids are afraid they will be going hungry.

joker

Post Today at 5:52 pm
thats a tough place to be in. good for you for doing what you need to and living responsibly, it sounds like hard work but very impressive

dena613

Post Today at 5:58 pm
Another instant oatmeal hack.
Make in microwave!

amother
Moccasin

Post Today at 6:16 pm
We live in FL and spend less than that for the same size family. Kosher stores pricing is rediculous. We only buy a few items there.
Yogurts are luxury and buy infrequently.
Chicken in bulk. Meat for YT only.
Salmon, fruit, veg and pantry items: Walmart, aldi, Costco.
Some snacks from Trader Joes.

amother
  Emerald  

Post Today at 6:19 pm
amother Azure wrote:
A bagel and peanut butter or eggs and toast is more expensive than a bowl of cereal and a 70 cents yogurt

A pack of bagels from Walmart comes to .33 per bagel and a big peanut butter jar is .11 per serving. I did say eggs are not necessary cheaper now but two eggs from the Walmart near me comes to .54 so add toast or a bagel and it cheaper than yogurt and cereal.

amother
  Emerald

Post Today at 6:24 pm
dena613 wrote:
Another instant oatmeal hack.
Make in microwave!

Yes. I didn't even heat for long. Milk, quick cook oats, cinnamon and sugar. Microwave for less than a minute. Not too hot and takes very little time to make.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics