Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Vomiting a day after hurting head - related or stomach bug?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
  DarkGray

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 1:13 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
They can’t observe him at home they don’t actually know what they are looking for.

Right that's why I think they should take him to a dr, and they need a dr who will answer the phone after hours to discuss warning signs.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 1:22 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
I wonder if they would actually do an ct scan on a baby in this case, or if they would just admit him for observation... in which case, yes, the parents can keep him and observe him at home.

I would love for him to be under medical supervision though, so yes please take him to the dr at the absolute minimum.

And switch to a doctor who would be available to answer such questions last night.

So what did their observations mean if they try to misinterpret every symptom?
Why the need to wait for the next vomit if the child already vomited a few times? The amother above described the case where the child was taken in after the second vomit.

Ma3

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 1:26 pm
I'm not sure why some posters on this chat (and many times on other chats as well!!!) think it's ok to bash, shame, rebuke and take OP to task for not listening to advice of taking her child to the ER.

No, she isn't negligent because she didn't follow your advice. She is still a capable mother that is looking out for her child's health. If she raised a concern, doesn't mean she needs to follow the 'medical guidance' of all us here. I also advised that she go to the ER, but it isn't my position to berate and belittle if she doesn't follow through.

I actually googled and she might be correct for waiting iff no other vomiting, fatigue or other symptoms show up today.

I think it's time people learn some basic respect on this site. Answers to a post need to be respectful. Think a minute before posting your answer, reread what you wrote and think if that's what you would've wanted to hear if you'd be the OP.

amother
  Aquamarine  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 1:31 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
There are basic rules to follow, vomiting post hitting a head is one of them. And it’s 100% negligent to think you know better.

Yes vomiting after head injury is a trip to er, for sure!
However, if that wasn’t done and time has already passed, then it’s a different set of rules. At this point, based on op’s descriptions alone, there is no reason to run to an er.
People love to say to run to an er because it can’t hurt and better safe than sorry but as my er doctor family member has said many times, that is simply not true. The er over tests, over complicates and has so many germs. Is an er trip ever warranted? Sure. But most of the time, that’s not the best place for treatment. The er has its own set of dangers.

amother
  Trillium  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 1:44 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
However, if that wasn’t done and time has already passed, then it’s a different set of rules. At this point, based on op’s descriptions alone, there is no reason to run to an er.
People love to say to run to an er because it can’t hurt and better safe than sorry but as my er doctor family member has said many times, that is simply not true. The er over tests, over complicates and has so many germs. Is an er trip ever warranted? Sure. But most of the time, that’s not the best place for treatment. The er has its own set of dangers.

Of course there is reason to go to the ER. The child may have a brain bleed ch'v even if they're acting fine as of now. The least OP should do is head to the pediatrician for a neuro exam.

amother
  Trillium

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 1:46 pm
Ma3 wrote:
I'm not sure why some posters on this chat (and many times on other chats as well!!!) think it's ok to bash, shame, rebuke and take OP to task for not listening to advice of taking her child to the ER.

No, she isn't negligent because she didn't follow your advice. She is still a capable mother that is looking out for her child's health. If she raised a concern, doesn't mean she needs to follow the 'medical guidance' of all us here. I also advised that she go to the ER, but it isn't my position to berate and belittle if she doesn't follow through.

I actually googled and she might be correct for waiting iff no other vomiting, fatigue or other symptoms show up today.

I think it's time people learn some basic respect on this site. Answers to a post need to be respectful. Think a minute before posting your answer, reread what you wrote and think if that's what you would've wanted to hear if you'd be the OP.

I'm not one to run to the ER quickly. But vomiting after a head injury may be really dangerous & it is negligent of a parent to ignore it.

amother
  Maple

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 1:52 pm
Ma3 wrote:

THANK YOU!!
I'm not the Op but I appreciate you stating the obvious!!

amother
  Aquamarine  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 1:59 pm
Op, I hope you stopped reading this thread by now and consulted with your child’s pediatrician and followed his/her medical advice, as opposed to hysterical imas.
A child who fell over 24 hours ago, who presents with no current observable symptoms, (and vomiting coincided with bowel issues, and child never lost consciousness or had any other observable symptoms) will not be admitted nor receive brain scans, “just to make sure”, as the scans themselves are not risk free.
Can a child have a slow brain bleed? It’s possible I suppose, but until symptoms are present, no intervention would be medically warranted.
By the way, did you know that a child with a normal ct scan post injury can subsequently develop a delayed bleed?

And no one should be trusting this- or dismissing it- without medical oversight, unless they themselves have medical training.

I hope everyone’s kids stay safe and healthy!

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 2:24 pm

This is basically the summary. Going to the ER after the vomiting would have been warranted. But after the fact, being that I didn't know at the time that it was a red flag (I knew right away would be a red flag, I didn't know that a day later is still worrisome) and by the time I learned that it could be, he was already better - that adds new information.

I took him to the pediatrician today, after seeing to it that he had a decent breakfast and was alert in the morning, he listened to the story, examined the baby, and said he looked fine. He said to come back if he seemed *significantly* off balance, difficult to wake after sleeping, crying inconsolably, or other worrisome marked changes of behavior.

To be more specific, before I took him to the pediatrician I called to ask whether he wanted to see him in office or should I take him to emergency for evaluation. But after waiting twice for a return phone call, I gave up and showed up to the office in person. Bh worked out.

Next question is if it's worth switching away from what's considered a better insurance plan to one that is accepted by local pediatricians who answer their phone. This isn't the first such episode and each time I think it's the last straw. I think open enrollment season is finally coming up.

tweety1  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 3:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

Next question is if it's worth switching away from what's considered a better insurance plan to one that is accepted by local pediatricians who answer their phone. This isn't the first such episode and each time I think it's the last straw. I think open enrollment season is finally coming up.

I'll bite here and be quite harsh here.
You came on here asking for medical advice. Everyone told you to go to the er NOW. You had every reason in the book, but ultimately didn't listen. I just read this thread and quite frankly I'm appalled of your negligence. This is serious business lady. (Talking as someone who already sat in the er for 6 hours for a bad fall just for observation. Not fun but too bad).
Now you're asking another question, why would someone want to answer if it sounds like your just asking for the fun of it?

amother
  Wheat

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 4:36 pm
amother OP wrote:
Dh and I came to a mutual agreement that if he so much as burps one more time then we're at the ER immediately, but other than that he was acting normal enough to wait until morning.

Bh he did no more vomiting or any other symptoms. Because we all went to sleep so late, he just woke up and nursed a little while ago so we're about to see how he is today and will call the pediatrician in any case. So far he's acting normal but we're still in the bedroom, he hasn't taken any walks yet so I can't really judge his balance yet. He's standing and sitting normally though.

The reason I'm asking online instead of running to the ER is because I have a history of health anxiety that makes it hard to trust my own judgement. My mind plays tricks on me with questions like is my baby more wobbly than before the fall or is he just wobbly because he's a toddler who just learned how to walk and has been ricocheting off the walls already anyway. And Google provides some ambiguous advice, such as that repeated vomiting is a red flag but nobody specifies whether repeated means one after another once, or repeated a few separate episodes. After he recovered from the first episode he had juice, breast milk, bread, and soup last night and it all stayed down so far.

You have health anxiety and you had an actual situation with serious red flags and didn’t get him checked out?

amother
Bellflower  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 4:57 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I'll bite here and be quite harsh here.
You came on here asking for medical advice. Everyone told you to go to the er NOW. You had every reason in the book, but ultimately didn't listen. I just read this thread and quite frankly I'm appalled of your negligence. This is serious business lady. (Talking as someone who already sat in the er for 6 hours for a bad fall just for observation. Not fun but too bad).
Now you're asking another question, why would someone want to answer if it sounds like your just asking for the fun of it?

You are harsh, exactly as you said. She asked for advice, then made the decision with her husband to wait through the night. She didn't say, I'm asking for advice and then I'll follow what you say to the T or else I'll be given over the head for it. Can you please chill and not be harsh? If you don't want to answer her next question, you don't have to. Perhaps others have no issue giving their opinions and experiences even if she ends up doing what she wants and not when everyone advised.

amother
  Heather

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 5:09 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
You are harsh, exactly as you said. She asked for advice, then made the decision with her husband to wait through the night. She didn't say, I'm asking for advice and then I'll follow what you say to the T or else I'll be given over the head for it. Can you please chill and not be harsh? If you don't want to answer her next question, you don't have to. Perhaps others have no issue giving their opinions and experiences even if she ends up doing what she wants and not when everyone advised.

I don’t think it’s a matter of being harsh, but I think people got concerned. Many posters, including myself, are concerned to hear that a young child hit his head hard.
It seems that most of us would’ve taken our child to the doctor or the emergency room. It was concerning frustrating and scary to watch his mother first asked for advice and then at the end not take her child or take him after 24 hours.

It comes out of concern.

People may seem to be harsh, but I believe it comes from the frustration of watching someone ask for advice and being in a position that only they can help their child and then not take the advice. The child is helpless. He cannot take himself to the doctor. He is relying on his parents.

Then the Mother is asking another question. It is frustrating to sometimes give advice and then have it ignored and then have more advice being asked. It’s nice that you can be so patient .

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 5:13 pm
I understand your reactions.

My board certified pediatrician did not seem to think or feel that I acted with negligence.

Now I know if it happens again in the future that even a day after an injury, vomiting is still a red flag. I thank Hashem for the times He watches over children until their parents learn better. Having not known that at the time, and having learned that only after the child was back to acting normal, being watchful and reaching out to the regular pediatrician was appropriate.

I appreciate everyone who replied with helpful input. This wasn't my only source of advice and it can be helpful to have more than one perspective.

amother
Sapphire  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 5:38 pm
I think people are annoyed that they took time to write long posts and you just went around in circles with them. It is what it is but I have to say this was a very frustrating thread to read just as by the way.

amother
  Bellflower

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 5:50 pm
amother Heather wrote:
I don’t think it’s a matter of being harsh, but I think people got concerned. Many posters, including myself, are concerned to hear that a young child hit his head hard.
It seems that most of us would’ve taken our child to the doctor or the emergency room. It was concerning frustrating and scary to watch his mother first asked for advice and then at the end not take her child or take him after 24 hours.

It comes out of concern.

People may seem to be harsh, but I believe it comes from the frustration of watching someone ask for advice and being in a position that only they can help their child and then not take the advice. The child is helpless. He cannot take himself to the doctor. He is relying on his parents.

Then the Mother is asking another question. It is frustrating to sometimes give advice and then have it ignored and then have more advice being asked. It’s nice that you can be so patient .

Your concerned response, written with just that, kindness and concern, makes a lot more sense, even if you are both trying to say the same thing. She said she was going to be harsh and she was, and that isn't necessary. Real concern is a response written just the way you did. It's not that I wasn't concerned or have lots of patience. I was actually very concerned. But that wouldn't make me post the way some imas do.

amother
  Aquamarine  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 5:57 pm
Just to add, if Gd forbid child hits their head, and then within the 24 hours vomits, and otherwise seems ok, you still do not need to run to an er, but rather can go first to pediatrician for an evaluation. That’s all the er would do initially anyway. And even at er, if exam is normal, and behaviors continue to be normal, hospital will send you home. Parents who think hospitals will start running scans just in case, are mistaken.
So parents who run right away to the er, when there is no medical indication to do so, because better safe than sorry, are actually harming their children by overacting and possibly subjecting their kids to unnecessary germs, testing and stress.
In a true medical emergency, such as breathing issues or color changes or pupils unfixed or similar, yes, call hatzalah stat or head to er. Otherwise, don’t panic, seek primary care advice and proceed from there.

OP, you come across as a level headed, attentive, devoted mom and don’t let some of these judgy imas get to you.

(The above advice is based on actual medical advice and personal experiences. But obviously, ask your doctor)

tweety1

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 6:30 pm
Heather and sapphire, you couldn't have Said it any better.
I was harsh and I don't feel bad. I wasn't rude, I wasn't nasty. It was harsh and Sometimes harsh things need to be said even if you don't like it.

Goldie613

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 6:53 pm
OP, I am glad your little one is doing better!

In terms of the insurance question, here's a few questions that might help you make a decision...

- Do you need the "better" insurance for doctors that other household members use?

- If you stay with your current insurance, can you see the pediatrician you prefer as an out of network patient? If you do, how much will that cost you vs how much this new insurance would cost?

- Can you have a conversation with your current doctor about your concerns, and ask him what his advice is for situations where he is not available after hours? I don't know if he has a covering doctor, or could recommend a nearby clinic that you could use in a pinch.

- Are there other doctors who are in your insurance network that you might have better mazel with?

Hope these questions help Smile

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 6:56 pm
Op, I hope you stopped reading this thread by now and consulted with your child’s pediatrician and followed his/her medical advice, as opposed to hysterical imas.
A child who fell over 24 hours ago, who presents with no current observable symptoms, (and vomiting coincided with bowel issues, and child never lost consciousness or had any other observable symptoms) will not be admitted nor receive brain scans, “just to make sure”, as the scans themselves are not risk free.
Can a child have a slow brain bleed? It’s possible I suppose, but until symptoms are present, no intervention would be medically warranted.
By the way, did you know that a child with a normal ct scan post injury can subsequently develop a delayed bleed?

And no one should be trusting this- or dismissing it- without medical oversight, unless they themselves have medical training.

I hope everyone’s kids stay safe and healthy!

OP. This is the only response you need to listen to. Was clearly written by a medical professional ( as I am as well).

Repetitive vomiting after head injury is indeed a red flag for a cerebral hemorrhage. However, after 24h, the likelihood of a very slow bleed is miniscule. If no other symptoms are present and you came to the ER, we would tell you to come back if he develops any worrisome symptoms such as focal neurological deficits, agitated behavior etc...

In sum, you did nothing wrong by observing him.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics