Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Are you fasting today?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

hodeez

Post Yesterday at 12:58 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Were you ok? I did this once at least and paid it for weeks.

I'm doing fine so far. Like someone else said it's more of a chizuk for Yom kippur

UQT

Post Yesterday at 1:11 pm
Yes I’m fasting. I’m as litvish as they come and my Rav is very makpid on fasting if you’re not nursing or pregnant

amother
Azalea  

Post Yesterday at 1:15 pm
I fast every fast. B"H I fast well, maybe because I'm a bit heavier than fashion and the medical community think I should be?

amother
  Lemon

Post Yesterday at 1:35 pm
amother Black wrote:
Not judging but genuinely asking..why are u fasting..?

It’s important to me. BH I try to fast every fast, long and short. So far, so good, thank you Hashem
I feel it’s the least I can do for my sins and our Jewish history

amother
Buttercup

Post Yesterday at 1:48 pm
Not fasting and not pregnant or nursing and youngest is 2 years, 2 months. If it wasn't a nidche I would.

amother
NeonGreen  

Post Yesterday at 1:53 pm
Not a great faster and I can't do 2 fasts in a week. This fast is always nidche but this year it's a nidche nidche so not even feeling guilty.

amother
  Tiffanyblue  

Post Yesterday at 1:56 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:
Not a great faster and I can't do 2 fasts in a week. This fast is always nidche but this year it's a nidche nidche so not even feeling guilty.

Why do you think this fast is always a nidche?
A nidche refers to a fast that is pushed off because of shabbos.

amother
Bergamot

Post Yesterday at 1:57 pm
I'm currently fasting but I'm starting to feel like I'm coming down with something. DH was sick last week so it's definitely possible I'm developing whatever he had. It's only a few more hours until the fast is over and I'm planning on having soup to break my fast. Hopefully that will help. My kids are old enough to entertain themselves this afternoon so I can lay down a bit if necessary.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Yesterday at 1:59 pm
Not fasting, not pregnant or nursing. My youngest is under a year but honestly it’s the toddler that I find so hard to deal with, on a regular day but especially on a fast day. And I woke up with a migraine today, so there was just no chance.

amother
Pewter

Post Yesterday at 2:13 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Ok… obviously most pregnant and nursing women will not fast. They don’t have to respond here.
This is a question for women who are not exempt due to nursing or pregnancy.

Or other medical exemptions like I qualify for. I'm not allowed to fast on Yom Kippur either Sad
First year with this chronic diagnosis and it sucks because I'm young still.

amother
Thistle

Post Yesterday at 2:19 pm
Usually I fast. My Rav is makpid that I try.
This year, we're dealing with some stuff that I was told not to try fasting.
It feels very weird not to fast.

shabbatiscoming

Post Yesterday at 2:29 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:

No it is not.

amother
Taupe

Post Yesterday at 2:31 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Why do you think this fast is always a nidche?
A nidche refers to a fast that is pushed off because of shabbos.

When was Gedalia Ben Achikam killed?

amother
Linen

Post Yesterday at 2:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it less serious because its pushed off?
So far I am fasting but I find it so hard when taking care of kids. I dont have the excuse I used to have. Not pregnant, not nursing. But my youngest is 2 and a few months.
Its not like I feel sick or anything. Just really hungry and weak and didnt take a caffiene pill.
Curious what other women in simar situation are doing.
No chassidish for reference.

Ask a rav. I’m not pregnant or nursing but my rav said only yom Kippur and Tisha bav bc I can’t function without eating

amother
  Blue

Post Yesterday at 2:33 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
No it is not.

Ge dalia was killed on beis Tishri but we can’t fast then bec it is rosh hashana

Motherhood

Post Yesterday at 2:33 pm
amother NeonGreen wrote:

For those asking:
I read these halachos today:
Some commentators (Radak Yirmiyah Perek 45, Rabbeinu Yerucham brought in the Bais Yosef Siman 549, and others) say that Gedaliah was actually killed on Rosh Hashanah, but as not to institute a fast on Rosh Hashanah, it was pushed off to the next day.

Many Poskim , therefore, are more lenient on this fast day regarding nursing and pregnant women, mildly ill people, fathers making a Bris etc., as they maintain that this fast day always has the status of a "fast that was pushed off". (See Mateh Ephraim Siman 602:3)

amother
Lilac

Post Yesterday at 3:29 pm
I’m happy to join in with the rest of klal Yisrael, even if it’s for a fast day. Yeshivish here and always fast (unless instructed by doctor not to). B”H, I’m a pretty good faster.

amother
Brunette

Post Yesterday at 3:39 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
No it is not.

Really he died on rosh Hashana and the fast is pushed off until after rosh hashana
Per many rabonim in has the halachic status of a nidche and they are much quicker to give a heter not to fast

amother
  Tiffanyblue

Post Yesterday at 3:39 pm
Just ate. Bad headache. Was in bed all day.
Dh just yelled at me that I shouldn’t be a martyr and Halacha states that one should eat if they aren’t feeling well.
So I’m sitting here with my coffee and protein bar deciding what else to eat now.
And my head still hurts…

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Yesterday at 3:57 pm
I did not fast today, I usually do but I spent most of RH in bed with a virus, I'm feeling a bit better but still sick. Didn't even ask, I decided myself (and dh agreed with me) that I'm not fasting, especially as I need to get my strength back for YK.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note