Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Vomiting a day after hurting head - related or stomach bug?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 12:19 am
This will be harsh but…I literally don’t understand what is wrong with you? Your child has a possible head injury and you come on imamother to get reassured for being neglectful in order to save face if you were too cautious?! It’s your child for goodness sake.

amother
Maple  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 5:46 am
I would take him to my regular dr in the morning.
Don't take him to the playground today(or the next few days).
Look out for any signs of abnormal behavior.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 7:31 am
amother OP wrote:
What would constitute repeated vomiting? He vomited 4 times within one hour until he was empty. That was between approx 4-5 pm. Now it's almost midnight and he hasn't vomited again (he did drink, nursed, and more recently also ate). So he did vomit a few times but it feels like one episode to me.

I wouldn't say he's extra sleepy. He woke up to start vomiting shortly after he fell asleep for his long awaited nap, and also wore himself out from the vomiting and crying, so it doesn't seem strange to me that he slept soundly for a couple of hours once it settled down. I was worried about his consciousness, so I woke him up after maybe an hour and a half to two hours, at which point he willingly drank (I gave him an electrolyte drink because of the vomiting, I'm sure the sweetness helped with his willingness) and then nursed. After that he was totally active. He kvetched to nurse a few more times so I thought he was going to fall back asleep (he mostly nurses to sleep at this point and eats for food) but each time he seemed like he would fall asleep he bounced off and went back to playing. It's almost midnight and he's still not back asleep but that's not unusual for a day when he napped from about 5:30-7:15 (we've had a lot of that kind of inconsistency over the holiday)

So the question is if he's possibly clumsier than usual. He's a fairly new toddler so that is really hard to assess. I can't figure out whether I'm making something out of nothing because I'm nervous, or if I'm making nothing out of something because I'm lazy.

Is possible but not obvious clumsiness enough to make the ER scan for a brain bleed? Because if they're just going to write me off as an overly nervous mom then I'd rather save my time. But if they would do a scan then I'd want to go and do it and be reassured.

OP, you're trying to make a billion cheshbonos for what? These are all questions for a doctor, not for randos online who have no qualifications and if they did, they've never even seen your child.

Get your child to a doctor ASAP. Think of the risks if it's nothing and you went vs the risks if it's something and you didn't go.

And by the way, when you calculate those risks, add child services to the mix if something chv did happen and you hadn't taken him to the doctor for days. At a certain point it becomes neglect and if you could have prevented something by taking him to the doctor, they might start investigating. You and your kids could go through hell, all because you preferred to "save your time".

Sorry if I'm being mean to you, but I really want you to make sure your baby is okay.

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 8:44 am
Please get your child checked out ASAP. I wouldn’t take risks with a possible head injury, especially given what a previous poster mentioned about the risk of a brain bleed c”v.

Refuah sheleimah to your child and a g’mar chasima tova.

amother
Azalea  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 9:01 am
Take him to be checked out. Otherwise you are taking quite a risk and gambling with his health. So, maybe it's nothing. But maybe it is something, in the worst case it could be brain bleeding which could leave lasting damage and disability. Your toddler is too small to express symptoms clearly. Maybe with a 10 year old one could wait and see and ask him to report any changes. But not with a baby!
If you had a car where you know that 95% of the time the brakes work fine and there is only a 5% chance that they fail and you crash, would you leave it that way, to save the time taking it to the garage, and drive around in it?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 9:14 am
amother OP wrote:
That's kind of what I'm wondering. Also wondering what an urgent care would do.

A different child of mine took a dive off a surface around this age, a little older. Landed on top of her head and seemed definitely wobbly after. It was very scary. We took her to the ER where they basically said she took a hit to the head (we knew this) and should be better in a few days (bh she was). And laughed a little at seeing an alert, active toddler in the ER for no apparent reason.

So I guess I'm just not sure what to think at this point. I just don't know. Dh is very not a fan of spending all night and a huge copay in the ER when the baby looks fine. I wish I had a doctor to talk to who is careful but not alarmist.

We had this exact situation except mine was close to four and she fell backwards on her head on a hardwood hallway. She threw up almost immediately and the pediatrician (got a sick visit ASAP) said they said we had to bring her to the ER out of concern of internal brain bleeding cvs if she threw up even one more time again but otherwise to monitor her. She did throw up again after an hour or two so we took her. ER said they could do CT scans and it would be terrible for a little kid but guessed it either was a minor concussion, but then after a few hours they guessed she simultaneously was developing a stomach bug because she also got a fever after a few hours in the ER.

To clarify, Point in sharing this was about the urgency of needing to go based on vomiting For the risk of CVS leading in the brain. Obviously, do not rely on my situation

amother
  Azalea

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 9:36 am
amother Aubergine wrote:
We had this exact situation except mine was close to four and she fell backwards on her head on a hardwood hallway. She threw up almost immediately and the pediatrician (got a sick visit ASAP) said they said we had to bring her to the ER out of concern of internal brain bleeding cvs if she threw up even one more time again but otherwise to monitor her. She did throw up again after an hour or two so we took her. ER said they could do CT scans and it would be terrible for a little kid but guessed it either was a minor concussion, but then after a few hours they guessed she simultaneously was developing a stomach bug because she also got a fever after a few hours in the ER.

But in medical problems, one can't deduce simply from one case to another.
It's like, my uncle had chest pains on the left side, we took him to ER and it was only a pulled muscle. Therefore, if your uncle has chest pains on the left side, it's probably the same and you don't need to go. WRONG!

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 9:37 am
did u go?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 10:59 am
amother Stoneblue wrote:
did u go?

Dh and I came to a mutual agreement that if he so much as burps one more time then we're at the ER immediately, but other than that he was acting normal enough to wait until morning.

Bh he did no more vomiting or any other symptoms. Because we all went to sleep so late, he just woke up and nursed a little while ago so we're about to see how he is today and will call the pediatrician in any case. So far he's acting normal but we're still in the bedroom, he hasn't taken any walks yet so I can't really judge his balance yet. He's standing and sitting normally though.

The reason I'm asking online instead of running to the ER is because I have a history of health anxiety that makes it hard to trust my own judgement. My mind plays tricks on me with questions like is my baby more wobbly than before the fall or is he just wobbly because he's a toddler who just learned how to walk and has been ricocheting off the walls already anyway. And Google provides some ambiguous advice, such as that repeated vomiting is a red flag but nobody specifies whether repeated means one after another once, or repeated a few separate episodes. After he recovered from the first episode he had juice, breast milk, bread, and soup last night and it all stayed down so far.

amother
  Chicory  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 11:01 am
amother OP wrote:
Dh and I came to a mutual agreement that if he so much as burps one more time then we're at the ER immediately, but other than that he was acting normal enough to wait until morning.

Bh he did no more vomiting or any other symptoms. Because we all went to sleep so late, he just woke up and nursed a little while ago so we're about to see how he is today and will call the pediatrician in any case. So far he's acting normal but we're still in the bedroom, he hasn't taken any walks yet so I can't really judge his balance yet. He's standing and sitting normally though.

The reason I'm asking online instead of running to the ER is because I have a history of health anxiety that makes it hard to trust my own judgement. My mind plays tricks on me with questions like is my baby more wobbly than before the fall or is he just wobbly because he's a toddler who just learned how to walk and has been ricocheting off the walls already anyway. And Google provides some ambiguous advice, such as that repeated vomiting is a red flag but nobody specifies whether repeated means one after another once, or repeated a few separate episodes. After he recovered from the first episode he had juice, breast milk, bread, and soup last night and it all stayed down so far.

But this is crazy. This is the time you run and your husband is wrong. Just because you have health anxiety doesn’t mean you don’t need to know when it’s actually important to go. Maybe you have health anxiety because he’s way too chilled to a point of danger.

amother
Melon  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 11:07 am
amother OP wrote:

You can make whatever excuses you want but this is negligence. If your BABY hits his head and then within 24 hours starts vomiting you take him to the er. Chances are he's fine but no sane person takes that chance. If gd forbid something were to happen you can bet child protective services would be all over you because I repeat no sane person takes that chance with their BABY

amother
DarkGray  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 11:09 am
I wonder if they would actually do an ct scan on a baby in this case, or if they would just admit him for observation... in which case, yes, the parents can keep him and observe him at home.

I would love for him to be under medical supervision though, so yes please take him to the dr at the absolute minimum.

And switch to a doctor who would be available to answer such questions last night.

amother
Trillium  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 11:10 am
amother OP wrote:

OP, I am speechless at such negligent attitude from a parent. A head injury is not something to play around or take chances with. Vomiting after hitting the head, you immediately go to the ER without waiting. A child can act normal & have a slow brain bleed ch'v causing life threatening damage.

amother
  Chicory  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 11:10 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
I wonder if they would actually do an ct scan on a baby in this case, or if they would just admit him for observation... in which case, yes, the parents can keep him and observe him at home.

I would love for him to be under medical supervision though, so yes please take him to the dr at the absolute minimum.

And switch to a doctor who would be available to answer such questions last night.

They can’t observe him at home they don’t actually know what they are looking for.

amother
  Trillium  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 11:11 am
amother DarkGray wrote:

Vomiting after hitting the head, generally gets a CT scan or MRI. Definitely a neurological exam which cannot be done at home.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 11:14 am
amother OP wrote:

The reason I'm asking online instead of running to the ER is because I have a history of health anxiety that makes it hard to trust my own judgement. My mind plays tricks on me with questions like is my baby more wobbly than before the fall or is he just wobbly because he's a toddler who just learned how to walk and has been ricocheting off the walls already anyway.

Okay, so you asked here before running to the ER because you don't trust your judgement, but then everyone here said it was serious and should be checked out. So you got your answer, and now you should go and get your baby checked out!

amother
Slateblue  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 11:47 am
amother OP wrote:

Is possible but not obvious clumsiness enough to make the ER scan for a brain bleed? Because if they're just going to write me off as an overly nervous mom then I'd rather save my time. But if they would do a scan then I'd want to go and do it and be reassured.

I’d rather be written off as an overly nervous mom than Chas v’shalom deal with the ramifications of a serious injury.

amother
Aquamarine  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 12:54 pm
Don’t worry op, the imas are over reacting and fear mongering.
You’re not negligent, you’re watching your child for any new behaviors or symptoms. The er would not admit him, would not do a complete neural work up, most likely at this point wouldn’t even do scans because of risk/reward.
If it were something serious, you would have already noticed symptoms getting progressively worse.
No need to overreact and spend hours in an er and potentially pick up random illnesses.
I would take dc to pediatrician for reassurance, but if he’s alert and responsive, that’s very reassuring.

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 1:09 pm
OP I also have health anxiety and don’t like rushing to ER but there are general guidelines to follow. It’s standard practice that if a child throws up more than once after hitting head to go to ER. I really think you should go to ER asap.

amother
  Chicory  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 1:11 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Don’t worry op, the imas are over reacting and fear mongering.
You’re not negligent, you’re watching your child for any new behaviors or symptoms. The er would not admit him, would not do a complete neural work up, most likely at this point wouldn’t even do scans because of risk/reward.
If it were something serious, you would have already noticed symptoms getting progressively worse.
No need to overreact and spend hours in an er and potentially pick up random illnesses.
I would take dc to pediatrician for reassurance, but if he’s alert and responsive, that’s very reassuring.

There are basic rules to follow, vomiting post hitting a head is one of them. And it’s 100% negligent to think you know better.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics