Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Moving stuff to IL

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 5:56 am
We are having an argument with dh whether or not we need to take a lift to transport some things from Europe to Israel.

He thinks we will just take many suitcases.
I wonder how I am supposed to move Pessach and Shabbes dishes? What do people do? Does it make sense to take along dishwasher and a laundry washer? Or they won’t be compatible anyway? Some better newer better pieces of furniture like a bed or a desk?

Would be grateful for others sharing their experience

Success10

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 6:06 am
In general it's not recommended to bring large appliances and furniture on Aliyah, as the apartments are smaller here, and all furniture and appliances are standard sizes made to fit the average kitchen and bedrooms. It could be European voltage is compatible with Israeli, but it's still not worth it. You can sell your items there and buy secondhand items here that fit your space.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 6:09 am
Ime European apartments are not necessarily more spacious than Israeli apartments, and if you think your furniture will fit then there's no reason to start from scratch.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 6:13 am
amother OP wrote:
We are having an argument with dh whether or not we need to take a lift to transport some things from Europe to Israel.

He thinks we will just take many suitcases.
I wonder how I am supposed to move Pessach and Shabbes dishes? What do people do? Does it make sense to take along dishwasher and a laundry washer? Or they won’t be compatible anyway? Some better newer better pieces of furniture like a bed or a desk?

Would be grateful for others sharing their experience

Your dishwasher and laundry washer, if they function at 220 V, as most European items do, should be fine. Might need the plugs changed, but that's no big deal (dh says adapters aren't safe for heavy duty appliances).
Other than that, do the math. Compare how much shipping a container costs as opposed to buying all the things you need new. Also, do you have big things with sentimental value which you don't want to replace?
Taking lots of suitcases costs extra, too, and there might be even with that an upper limit on how much the airline allows you to take along.

Do you already have a place to stay, where you could put your furniture and appliances if you take them along? Because if not, you would have to pay for storage as well.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 6:18 am
My apartment here is by no means big. By furniture I mean I would take some kids items that I already have like a changing table or a toy shelf. Desk and bed have no sentimental value, they are just relatively new and a great quality. I am really attached to my dishes as I just bought them like 3 years ago and they are designer.
Can I take them in a suitcase safely?
Dh thinks we can take many suitcases because we have many family members.

I haven’t looked into prices for lift/ containers yet

yudiyu  

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 6:22 am
You can ship boxes. Ask around the shipping companies. We got a quote for £50 per large box from england. We bought a lot of furniture and appliances from the landlord so didn't need to take a big lift.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 6:23 am
yudiyu wrote:
You can ship boxes. Ask around the shipping companies. We got a quote for £50 per large box from england. We bought a lot of furniture and appliances from the landlord so didn't need to take a big lift.

Sounds good. Did you ship fragile objects?

essie14

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 6:27 am
Do not put anything fragile in a suitcase. It will break.

amother
Bubblegum

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 6:31 am
I don't know about European appliances.
I do know people that brought over American appliances and while they love the appliances themselves if they ever need repair or a spare part it's not so simple.

yudiyu

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 6:50 am
amother OP wrote:
Sounds good. Did you ship fragile objects?

Sure, wrap them in bubble wrap. Get fragile tape. Make sure they can't move around in the box.

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Oct 06 2024, 6:54 am
I shipped an American GE oven to Israel and I love it. I've had to replace the igniter a few times but I keep a few in stock and have people bring more when they come from America.
Otherwise, we bought everything else here.
Check zap.co.il for pricing and see if it's worth shipping or buying new.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions