Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Not invited to my brother's Shabbos Sheva berochos...
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
DarkKhaki  

Post Yesterday at 12:35 pm
I think you should try very hard to let it go, as it's the Yom Hadin and we need zechusim. I also think you should drop in for dessert. After all, it's just around the corner. Decide you will drop in and you will act as pleasant as possible while you're there, and try not to think about it any more.
🫂 You can do this.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 12:37 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
I think you should try very hard to let it go, as it's the Yom Hadin and we need zechusim. I also think you should drop in for dessert. After all, it's just around the corner. Decide you will drop in and you will act as pleasant as possible while you're there, and try not to think about it any more.
🫂 You can do this.

That's if I'm invited for dessert. I'd never go uninvited! And to those that said they know of people taking kids when they weren't invited, I've never heard of such a thing. I'd never do that.

amother
  DarkKhaki

Post Yesterday at 12:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
That's if I'm invited for dessert. I'd never go uninvited! And to those that said they know of people taking kids when they weren't invited, I've never heard of such a thing. I'd never do that.

I don't think you need to be invited for dessert. You can tell your brother that you will be dropping in. You don't have to bring the kids along, and probably shouldn't.

amother
  Midnight

Post Yesterday at 12:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
I didn't say that the kalla's side are poor, they can't afford to do 2 big meals in a hall. Doesn't mean that they're struggling financially. Afterall they're also making a wedding!
They chose this much more expensive hall for the wedding. Everything costs much more for both them and my parents as everyone is adding on much more to the cost of everything because it's not a local hall. My parents are going along with what they want.

I wonder if we'll be invited to any that their side are making. The only other one is the first one being made by these said aunts! 😭 I'll also be upset if we don't get invited to that first one.
It's a weekday so it would be without the kids.

Again stop cheshboning their side! Look for the good in people you'll be a much happier person

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 12:50 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
I don't think you need to be invited for dessert. You can tell your brother that you will be dropping in. You don't have to bring the kids along, and probably shouldn't.

I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I get a formal invite from the mother of the kalla.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 12:52 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
Again stop cheshboning their side! Look for the good in people you'll be a much happier person

I'm trying to say that the kalla's side can't be that poor. They can spend their money how they want. And I can be upset, and feel like they should invite us siblings to at least one of the Shabbos Sheva berochos meals.

amother
Purple

Post Yesterday at 1:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's not about being worth it. It's about the done thing.

No such thing as DONE THING anymore.
Every one of my kids had something that was different than what we thought is the norm. We learned that it’s best to step back and let the baalei hasimcha do what they need or want to have Shalom.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 1:17 pm
amother Purple wrote:
No such thing as DONE THING anymore.
Every one of my kids had something that was different than what we thought is the norm. We learned that it’s best to step back and let the baalei hasimcha do what they need or want to have Shalom.

Yes ok you're right.
Have a good yom tov everyone and a Kesiva v'chasima Tovah.

sub  

Post Yesterday at 1:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wouldn't feel comfortable unless I get a formal invite from the mother of the kalla.

No need for formal invitation. I have walked over Friday night or Shabbos day after my meal to say mazal tov. I did not go for food. You pop in for the end, for bentching, say mazal tov and leave.
I do understand your hurt, but you are making it about you and what you think should be done. Have you started making your own simchos yet?

sub

Post Yesterday at 1:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes ok you're right.
Have a good yom tov everyone and a Kesiva v'chasima Tovah.

Amen. To you too. May you and your family continue making many more simchos

Chayalle

Post Yesterday at 4:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
I didn't say that the kalla's side are poor, they can't afford to do 2 big meals in a hall. Doesn't mean that they're struggling financially. Afterall they're also making a wedding!
They chose this much more expensive hall for the wedding. Everything costs much more for both them and my parents as everyone is adding on much more to the cost of everything because it's not a local hall. My parents are going along with what they want.

I wonder if we'll be invited to any that their side are making. The only other one is the first one being made by these said aunts! 😭 I'll also be upset if we don't get invited to that first one.
It's a weekday so it would be without the kids.

Just FYI, the cost of Shabbos Sheva Brachos often comes close to the cost of the wedding. You don't have to be poor to struggle with the expense of marrying off a daughter. Often the Kallah's side is expected to pay more for the wedding itself, the setup of the new home, and Shabbos Sheva Brachos on top of that. Plus it sounds like the choice of venue here (more expensive hall for the wedding) may be what the Chosson/Kallah want. So the parents are trying to make it work.
It's not what I would choose to do personally, but everyone has different needs and wants.

coloredleaves

Post Yesterday at 4:39 pm
Maybe your mom can offer to chip in for extra dessert (not that it will cost much but to be nice) and ask if siblings can stop in at dessert to wish Mazel Tov and be included that way- in a Low cost and less space type go way. She can suggest that extra seats be put out even if not at the table- just some extra seats at dessert even if not directly at the table - just to add to the festivity.

Orangehead

Post Yesterday at 5:23 pm
I come from a family with very little money. We are a big family.
Bh all my siblings are married. We were always invited to every single Shabbos Sheva brochos and we always invited the other side when we made them. Whoever’s wanted to come from the other sides came. We made it work!!!!!
If there is room in the heart, there is room in the home.
same thing with my in laws family.

I would be very weirded out if I wasn’t not invited!!!!

And I have been to over 15 siblings Shabbos Sheva brochos!!

doodlesmom

Post Yesterday at 5:29 pm
Op again, I feel bad!
Many unconventional things going on here from what I’m used to.
Small wedding with only 125 couples and only if you’re invited to the whole wedding….
Mom paying for part of aunts sheva brochos for people disinvited to wedding…..
No inviting in laws from the same location to aufruf Friday night meal…(day meals are sometimes optional if they’re local)
No women’s kiddush for aufruf….(never heard)
No inviting siblings to sheva brochos and yes aunts ( never heard)

And yet you’re expected to cook up a sheva brochos as usual, without a break! But be the bigger person! And enjoy whatever you can!
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics