Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Help - food too hot to put away

amother
OP

Post Today at 12:22 am
So we have three things that are too hot to put away.

so let's say we keep cooking them (stove/oven) till I go to bed around 1:30/2.

Then put them on the counter for 4 hours till my husband wakes up at 6.

Safe?

OR
when I'm about to go to bed, put them all on the hot plate (I don't know what temp the hot plate is) and then when my husband wakes up at 6, he takes them off the hot plate, and then after shul (maybe 9?) he puts them in the fridge

Is that safer? Its hard for me to know, because I don't know how hot the hot plate is.

Please advise!

mommy2b1

Post Today at 12:50 am
I say leave cooking till you go to sleep and refrigerate I’m the morning.

amother
Mauve  

Post Today at 1:54 am
Can you put it in the fridge before you go to sleep?

lucky14

Post Today at 2:21 am
Depends what the things are and how big they are. Sometimes it’s not so horrible to put them in the fridge while they’re still hot.

ewwpeas20

Post Today at 2:28 am
lucky14 wrote:
Depends what the things are and how big they are. Sometimes it’s not so horrible to put them in the fridge while they’re still hot.

Dunno, when I used to do that the milk bottles would spoil. My fridge only has two shelf positions and I usually keep the milk at the back. Now I let the foods cool down then put them in the fridge.
Also, how hot are we talking about?

Brit in Israel

Post Today at 3:06 am
lucky14 wrote:

Do not put things in the fridge hot!!!!!!
It's extremely dangerous for the other items especially proteins in the fridge.
A fridge can't cool down fast enough so the other items will be warming up and sitting for hours in a warm enclosure until the fridge can manage to get everything back down to fridge temp.
The more items in the the fridge and the fuller the fridge the longer everything will be warm for.
At most in a nearly empty fridge you can put something in warm.

OP I'm hoping your having a great sleep already. In your case I would have cooked until sleeping and then put it in the fridge in the morning. Many things take atleast 3-4 hrs to cool anyways.
I took out my brisket from the oven at 4 and when we came out the shelter at 8.30 it still wasn't fully cooled.
ETA: if the item is smallish you can put it in your sink uncovered in cold water and/or with cold water running against it and it cools it very quickly

amother
  Mauve

Post Today at 3:18 am
Brit in Israel wrote:
Do not put things in the fridge hot!!!!!!
It's extremely dangerous for the other items especially proteins in the fridge.
A fridge can't cool down fast enough so the other items will be warming up and sitting for hours in a warm enclosure until the fridge can manage to get everything back down to fridge temp.
The more items in the the fridge and the fuller the fridge the longer everything will be warm for.
At most in a nearly empty fridge you can put something in warm.

OP I'm hoping your having a great sleep already. In your case I would have cooked until sleeping and then put it in the fridge in the morning. Many things take atleast 3-4 hrs to cool anyways.
I took out my brisket from the oven at 4 and when we came out the shelter at 8.30 it still wasn't fully cooled.
ETA: if the item is smallish you can put it in your sink uncovered in cold water and/or with cold water running against it and it cools it very quickly
I have a fridge thermometer and temperature is ok even after hot food was put in

Raisin

Post Today at 4:22 am
I poured all my hot chicken soup into small containers, and it cooled down very quickly in them.

Professional kitchens have blast chillers, would love one of those!

Busybee5

Post Today at 5:50 am
Raisin wrote:
I poured all my hot chicken soup into small containers, and it cooled down very quickly in them.

Professional kitchens have blast chillers, would love one of those!

In the summer I put a fan blasting on my shaker soup containers. Cools down faster, and it's safer in a hot kitchen.

I've also put food in my car boot if cold enough outside if it's too hot for the fridge/freezer and I want to go to bed .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur