Forum -> Shopping
Where are we holding on SHEIN?
Previous  1  2

amother
Violet  

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 10:06 pm
Frum stores are 100% selling the same stuff as shein
Almost all of it is made in China.
If not the clothing the fabric is made in China.
How do you know it is safer?

Ruchi  

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 10:57 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
Repeatedly found with high levels of toxins in their clothes is why I don't shop there or Ali or temu. And Spyware.

The toxins are probably in everything "made in china" and certainly not limited to Ali, Temu or Shein.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 11:34 pm
I try to avoid anything made in China -- which is difficult, although many manufacturers moved factories to Southeast Asian countries in the past few years. Much of the most affordable Israeli clothing is still manufactured in China.

And I specifically won't buy from Shein or Temu because their apps contain spyware and I do not trust using their sites or transacting with them.

thegiver

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 11:38 pm
I don’t shop there anymore bec the website is soooo disgusting. Full of tuma. I want to vomit.

Ruchi

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 11:40 pm
thegiver wrote:
I don’t shop there anymore bec the website is soooo disgusting. Full of tuma. I want to vomit.

That's where a filter helps.

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Oct 01 2024, 12:24 am
I asked shein to take down a product with a PLO palestinian logo and they took it down immediately. They took it seriously and apologized even.
I lived in Judea and Samaria for a while, and they shipped my packages there, so that being said you can safely buy shein

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Oct 01 2024, 12:28 am
My only issue with those companies is the polyester in the clothes. Do you ever check what kind of fabric you clothe your kid in? Polyester is like pure plastic and not breathable.

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Oct 01 2024, 12:43 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
My only issue with those companies is the polyester in the clothes. Do you ever check what kind of fabric you clothe your kid in? Polyester is like pure plastic and not breathable.

You can find cotton (I don't shop for clothing on Chinese sites) but the frum stores aren't so different.

Literally all shabbos clothing for women and kids this summer was pure polyester.

I literally bought a stunning polyester summer ouftift on clearance from a very expensive store for the chagim since it's not so hot and the lady was like "It'll be so cute to wear next summer too" and I'm like "heck no lol. I'm not wearing this after Pesach in this Israeli heat"

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Oct 01 2024, 12:51 am
Yes I buy from shein.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Oct 01 2024, 4:13 am
Lead!!!!!! Surprised
Ok that makes me really not want to shop there!
Basically my kids can look cute and matchy at those prices or we can look a little bit nebby.

I guess my kids are too young to care anyway!!

Are we sure that tottini or kidichic is better?
Kidichic is my “splurge” I’ll buy one thing per kid per year from it. So you know where I’m holding. If something is on clearance I might buy more but than I have to have the time to comb through sizes and decided if it’s something they’ll get multiple wears out of…

Anyway my thoughts on SHEIN are that if they think being pro Palestinian is popular I don’t want to give my business and show that they are right ! I want to show them that their customers won’t support that!!!

amother
Nutmeg

Post Tue, Oct 01 2024, 4:27 am
Regarding spyware, it is entirely possible to use Shein and order from there without downloading the app. I've been doing it for years. Of course one misses out on points and some special offers this way, but it can be done and I'm doing it this way to keep my phone clean.
I live in Israel and did boycott Shein for 6 months after the war started. But at some point, I needed cheap clothes for the children and myself and started ordering again. Regarding the Palestinian stuff they had, I think they just sell whatever is popular and sells well, be it good or bad.
Most cheap clothes in the shops here are also from China - so what's the difference, other than the price. And at least twice I've seen friends wear items, a scarf and a shirt, that were identical to things I bought on Shein, only they bought it here in shops for a higher price. Guess where the shops get their items from.

amother
  Cerulean

Post Tue, Oct 01 2024, 4:48 am
amother Violet wrote:
Frum stores are 100% selling the same stuff as shein
Almost all of it is made in China.
If not the clothing the fabric is made in China.
How do you know it is safer?
Things that are imported legally need to follow certain safety standards.

amother
  Violet  

Post Tue, Oct 01 2024, 6:26 am
amother Cerulean wrote:
Things that are imported legally need to follow certain safety standards.

I have seen items exact to shein sold in frum stores.

amother
  Violet

Post Tue, Oct 01 2024, 6:28 am
amother OP wrote:
Lead!!!!!! Surprised
Ok that makes me really not want to shop there!
Basically my kids can look cute and matchy at those prices or we can look a little bit nebby.

I guess my kids are too young to care anyway!!

Are we sure that tottini or kidichic is better?
Kidichic is my “splurge” I’ll buy one thing per kid per year from it. So you know where I’m holding. If something is on clearance I might buy more but than I have to have the time to comb through sizes and decided if it’s something they’ll get multiple wears out of…

Anyway my thoughts on SHEIN are that if they think being pro Palestinian is popular I don’t want to give my business and show that they are right ! I want to show them that their customers won’t support that!!!

I believe the jewelers sold for babies in many stores is a problem….especially the cheaper jewelery

You can do a reverse lookup on a lot of stuff found in stores.

And to those saying what is sold in stores passes safety tests.

I do not believe the government is going through pallets of clothing being imported to test.

Stuff is recalled all the time for lead. Especially baby jewelery. I would never put jewelry on a baby they could put in their mouth.

mathbrain

Post Yesterday at 11:06 am
I’m genuinely curious, does the lead or urine or anything else gross found in the clothes not wash out in the machine?
In general, I never put anything on for myself or my kids unless it’s washed/cleaned first. You never know who touched it, tried it on, made it, etc.

I buy clothes from SHEIN due to it being most affordable, but I wouldn’t buy toys or household items.

Just saying though, when you buy from Amazon / Walmart, you are often getting the same things.

amother
Charcoal

Post Yesterday at 11:35 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
I was actually wondering about this earlier today. Do you think the hair bows and stuff I’ve bought on Amazon in the past are ok?
Some of these brands seem sketchy.
If it ships from Amazon but is sold by a Chinese seller then it’s the same as buying directly from China. Amazon doesn’t test products sent to their warehouse. I bought dress up clothes from Amazon and two years later got a recall notice that it contained lead.

azoygeshmak

Post Yesterday at 1:52 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
I do shop there.
I figure what a better way to "shtuch" them then to use their website to buy nice clothes for shabbos at affordable prices so my husband can remain in kollel, learning Hashems torah

On another note, do you use a Braun food processor? A Bosch mixer? Wusthof knives? These are German made products. Germans killed millions more of our people.

Sorry, but I vehemently disagree. If Shein’s executives donate to pro-Palestinian causes—likely the case IMO—-you are effectively funding those causes yourself by increasing their profit. Do you really want to do that—are you sure? Funding Palestine = putting your fellow Jews in danger.

A far better “shtoch” involving actual mesiras nefesh would be to buy gently used clothes for your kids (eBay, Poshmark); or go to Target; or get from a gemach. They cost the same or less than SHEIN. Are the clothes less cute or less in style? Maybe. But isn’t that a price you and your family are willing to pay?

amother
Slategray

Post Yesterday at 1:57 pm
azoygeshmak wrote:
Sorry, but I vehemently disagree. If Shein’s executives donate to pro-Palestinian causes—likely the case IMO—-you are effectively funding those causes yourself by increasing their profit. Do you really want to do that—are you sure? Funding Palestine = putting your fellow Jews in danger.

A far better “shtoch” involving actual mesiras nefesh would be to buy gently used clothes for your kids (eBay, Poshmark); or go to Target; or get from a gemach. They cost the same or less than SHEIN. Are the clothes less cute or less in style? Maybe. But isn’t that a price you and your family are willing to pay?

Where did you see that Sheins executives have donated to Palestinian causes??? Do you have a source for this or are you just assuming?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics