Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Where are we holding on SHEIN?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 5:18 pm
I know they had that pro Palestinian stuff going on.

I don’t want to support them

But it’s really the best option for affordable matching clothes for my two toddlers.

Sigh.

do you shop SHEIN or no? Reasons? (I’m not judging either way I just want to hear what other people did about it…)

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 5:22 pm
Temu has the same type of items at a comparable price, without the negativity toward Israel.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 5:51 pm
Some people still shop on shein but I think its really wrong to shop where they are openly anti yidden

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 5:53 pm
I don't think they are making any money off of me. I shop only there rock bottom sales price and do at least one return per order LOL

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 6:46 pm
I stopped because I also don’t need Chinese spyware on my computer plus anti semitism.

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 6:52 pm
I do shop there.
I figure what a better way to "shtuch" them then to use their website to buy nice clothes for shabbos at affordable prices so my husband can remain in kollel, learning Hashems torah

On another note, do you use a Braun food processor? A Bosch mixer? Wusthof knives? These are German made products. Germans killed millions more of our people.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 7:53 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
I do shop there.
I figure what a better way to "shtuch" them then to use their website to buy nice clothes for shabbos at affordable prices so my husband can remain in kollel, learning Hashems torah

On another note, do you use a Braun food processor? A Bosch mixer? Wusthof knives? These are German made products. Germans killed millions more of our people.

Not judging your buying from shein. I am unsure myself where I stand. I dont see Germany the same way though. Maybe in the years following the war.. but I think Germany as a whole, and most Germans have come a long way from prewar attitudes. I think they have shown remorse, and tangible efforts at making some kind of amends. Even now, during this war, Germany has been more supportive of Israel than many other countries.

I would take it on a company by company basis, if a specific company (German or otherwise) is being openly antisemitic, I am not sure I'd be comfortable buying there. (To me it's kindve like - what benefit does my boycotting bring.. I'd be concerned that if they support Palestine they are giving a portion of their earnings there, and that I would not want to support, there may also be a safety or trust element in cases where they know they are dealing with a jew.. but barring those.. who cares if they feel differently than I do!)

With shein, it is unclear to me whether what they were selling was reflecting of their anti semetic views, or if it was simply selling what sells. I believe they took it down after receiving complaints, and boycott threats (which seems to say to me that it was a buisiness decision, not a moral one)

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 8:19 pm
Are they pro palestinian/anti israel or do they also support terrorism? I could be wrong but after October 7th I had heard that they were supporting terrorism financially. Regardless, I have not shopped since and I don't plan on restarting.

amother
Cerulean  

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 8:21 pm
Repeatedly found with high levels of toxins in their clothes is why I don't shop there or Ali or temu. And Spyware.

amother
Snow  

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 8:22 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
I do shop there.

I’m sorry, but I don’t equate Germany, 2024 to Germany 1933-1945. I’m sure immediately post-WWII the attitudes would have been a huge problem, but modern Germany has been very aggressive at tackling all forms of discrimination and intolerance. Germany has also been a strong ally to EY. Personally, I don’t believe in boycotting things that are made in Germany of today, effectively punishing people for something they weren’t likely alive to have a say in. In fact, Germany has one of the strongest anti-Nazi and Holocaust educational curricula of westernized nations.

China, OTOH, has actively promoted antisemitism on TikTok and punished anyone with deplatforming, and other penalties, for supporting Israel.

So, IMVHO, if my money has to go to one or the other - I’ll choose German products over China.

amother
  Snow

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 8:24 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
Repeatedly found with high levels of toxins in their clothes is why I don't shop there or Ali or temu. And Spyware.

I had not heard this! TY for sharing this information!!

amother
Tanzanite  

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 8:33 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:

Yup. Urine, lead, toxins, no thank you.

amother
  Cerulean  

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 8:34 pm
amother Snow wrote:
I had not heard this! TY for sharing this information!!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news......html

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 8:38 pm
1. I would guess that most of what we buy from US retailers is made in China. Do you think they're testing for toxins?

2. I stopped using the site long ago due to very pritzusdik pictures they kept showing me, when all I wanted was a sweater!

amother
Brass  

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 8:39 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
Yup. Urine, lead, toxins, no thank you.

Are you kidding? Urine? So these are second hand clothes?

amother
  Tanzanite  

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 8:56 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
1. I would guess that most of what we buy from US retailers is made in China. Do you think they're testing for toxins?

2. I stopped using the site long ago due to very pritzusdik pictures they kept showing me, when all I wanted was a sweater!

Yes. Legally they have to. Most carter's items are certified by OEKO-TEX, the world’s leading product label for the measure of harmful substances in textiles, in addition to following US regulations and rules.

I dont think buying brands like h and m or frum brands are 100% clean of toxins but I'd assume they dont have 100 times the amount of lead that's safe like Chinese stuff do.

Forget clothing I have no clue how people but Pacifiers and teething toys from these Chinese sites.

amother
  Tanzanite

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 8:58 pm
amother Brass wrote:
Are you kidding? Urine? So these are second hand clothes?

No, the workers aren't allowed bathroom breaks and factories are very unsanitary. I live in Israel and wash produce well since I know in the feild foreign workers and Arabs urinate in produce too.

amother
  Brass

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 9:00 pm
amother Tanzanite wrote:
No, the workers aren't allowed bathroom breaks and factories are very unsanitary. I live in Israel and wash produce well since I know in the feild foreign workers and Arabs urinate in produce too.

Puke Puke Puke

I didn't know this was a thing... So you use a produce soap on your fruits and veggies?

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 9:10 pm
I was actually wondering about this earlier today. Do you think the hair bows and stuff I’ve bought on Amazon in the past are ok?
Some of these brands seem sketchy.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 9:28 pm
Oh no, I have a store and bring in clothing items from china. What should I do? I don’t want to go out of business
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics