Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Calling experienced moms of teen boys
Previous  1  2  3

imaima

Post Today at 5:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
What if the other kids complain that it isn’t fair that he gets a custom supper every night? Would you just make a custom supper for everyone? Make a rule of what’s an acceptable alternative? Also he will eat chicken (depending what kind, I try to have the type he prefers) if I don’t make tuna or eggs.

How do you make them?
I always make eggs or cans or tuna in the house. There is one dinner, whoever doesn’t like it can fix themselves something. Cooke an egg, mash canned tuna with mayo etc

mha3484

Post Today at 5:37 pm
Agree. My son and I have a deal, I make dinner number one and if you want a second one its on you.

zigi  

Post Today at 5:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
I have picky eaters! Does that go away eventually when they get hungry enough? Or am I destined to be a specialty chef forever?

Give them a cook book and then they can learn to make the food that they want.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 5:58 pm
I do let him make his own tuna. Scrambled eggs is a bit more complex but he can mash a hard boiled egg. But he kvetches I should make it.

amother
Burlywood

Post Today at 6:24 pm
If you give a teen boy dumbells he will ask for a treadmill.
If you give him a treadmill he will ask for a pushup bar
If you give him a pushup bar he will ask for a bench press
If you give him a bench press he will ask for barbells
If you give him barbells he will ask for a barbell rack
If you give him barbell racks he will ask for weight plates.
Then you will buy him safety spotters and mats for the floor
If you give your son a home gym he will use it nightly, when it's time to shower/go to sleep.

If you give your teen a home gym it's likely that it will take up half of your playroom.

It's also likely that your son will go away to yeshiva and not come home for months.

It's likely that your son will call you from yeshiva and ask for a gym membership

exaustedmom

Post Today at 6:29 pm
Lots of good food and a sense of humor. Also, even though they seem macho, never stop giving them a hug and a kiss. They need it, even when they pretend that they dont.

keym

Post Today at 6:32 pm
exaustedmom wrote:
Lots of good food and a sense of humor. Also, even though they seem macho, never stop giving them a hug and a kiss. They need it, even when they pretend that they dont.

I keep on seeing this advice and I don't know. It rubs me wrong.

Maybe because my teen boys have explicitly said "Ma don't hug or kiss me". So I respect their autonomy and don't. I still touch them. Pat them on the shoulder or back, playful swatting, handshake, fist bump, high five

But I think a boy who doesn't want his mother to hug or kiss him and says so should not be hugged or kissed and his mother shouldn't say things like 'he needs it even if he pretends he doesn't '.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 6:48 pm
What are we thinking of screentime for tweens. We have a Nintendo switch that I control from my phone otherwise they’d be on it all afternoon. Until now I didn’t let them have it on regular weekdays only Fridays or off days or if I wasn’t home.
I’m rethinking that policy and considering letting them have an hour a day. Is this me giving in, or picking my battles?

zigi

Post Today at 7:10 pm
amother Purple wrote:
This for us as well!!

Keep a lot of protein items in your freezer that you can pull out.
And cake.

Omg yes, I have burgers and sliders and hot dogs etc salami. Bh cake mixes are helpful too

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 7:39 pm
zigi wrote:
Omg yes, I have burgers and sliders and hot dogs etc salami. Bh cake mixes are helpful too

Can I freeze turkey roll? That would be helpful.

amother
Brown

Post Today at 8:52 pm
Hm.
You had me at this comment..

My boys start the new school yr in the new grade, as opposed to after sukkos - chassidish chedarim yet I dont allow my kids to own a Nintendo and play video games..

So my vote is zero screentime..

amother
  Salmon

Post Today at 10:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can I freeze turkey roll? That would be helpful.

Definitely

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 10:20 pm
Funny that we’re on the subject and DS7 just asked for another plate of chicken at 10:15 at night. Never ever happens.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 10:21 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
Definitely

I’ll get a big batch and freeze then. Thanks for the idea.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children