Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Right wing modern orthodox schools
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 9:58 pm
Hi, I’m curious what schools are considered right wing modern orthodox? For context, my husband and I grew up more mainstream orthodox, I went to left wing Bais Yaakov and he went to Lakewood yeshivas (he grew up frummer than me). I guess I’m a bit of a rebel, but now I have children that will be ready for school soon and im kind of clueless where I can send. I want a school that focuses on both Hebrew and English education but won’t be down my back for not fully covering my hair or wearing short skirts. I’m not tied to a certain area for school as we are open to moving, so anywhere in the United States is ok. Thank you!

amother
Sapphire  

Post Yesterday at 10:08 pm
Hi,
Do you believe in Torah U’Madda? How do you feel about Zionism and the State of Israel? Girls learning Gemara?
Are you OK with these things or do you believe in them?

I just want to clarify if you are looking for MO l’chatcilla or b’dieved? As MO is not bummy yeshivish. If you are going RWMO (or YU machmir), I think you will need to dress fully tznius and likely know the psak and Shittas as to why things are acceptable.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:11 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
Hi,
Do you believe in Torah U’Madda? How do you feel about Zionism and the State of Israel? Girls learning Gemara?
Are you OK with these things or do you believe in them?

I just want to clarify if you are looking for MO l’chatcilla or b’dieved? As MO is not bummy yeshivish.

I’m not bummy yeshivish at all. My husband and I are at two completely different levels in terms of frumkiet and thus I’d like a wholesome school that will not shun that.
I strongly believe in Torah umaddah and have no problem with girls learning gemera. In fact, I learn it myself. Zionism, I have no issue with it being installed in my children although I personally might have a different view than a school that blindly supports the state of Israel.

amother
Cantaloupe  

Post Yesterday at 10:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m not bummy yeshivish at all. My husband and I are at two completely different levels in terms of frumkiet and thus I’d like a wholesome school that will not shun that.
I strongly believe in Torah umaddah and have no problem with girls learning gemera. In fact, I learn it myself. Zionism, I have no issue with it being installed in my children although I personally might have a different view than a school that blindly supports the state of Israel.

No zionist school ‘blindly’ supports the State of Israel. Being a religious Zionist, chardal, or DL is very thorough and detailed on this hashkafa. Many modern orthodox people are also Zionists. Schools that support it also do have similar characteristics, or a background and story to that.
Personally, I found that remark insulting, especially when Israel has been a harbor for Jews fleeing antisemitism and is currently fighting a war on 4 fronts to keep the only Jewish nation existing.
I understand the context you are coming from, which is fine, but try to keep it a little respectful.

amother
  Sapphire

Post Yesterday at 10:20 pm
Sorry if I offended, was thrown by the short skirt comment.

The greater Teaneck NJ community has 6 MO elementary schools and well over a dozen (maybe 2 dozen) shuls. It is not a cheap area in which to live, but may be worth exploring if you are looking for an MO community, as being it is so large it is more niche specific. Bergenfield and RYNJ are stereotypically most right leaning.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:20 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
No zionist school ‘blindly’ supports the State of Israel. Being a religious Zionist, chardal, or DL is very thorough and detailed on this hashkafa. Many modern orthodox people are also Zionists. Schools that support it also do have similar characteristics, or a background and story to that.
Personally, I found that remark insulting, especially when Israel has been a harbor for Jews fleeing antisemitism and is currently fighting a war on 4 fronts to keep the only Jewish nation existing.
I understand the context you are coming from, which is fine, but try to keep it a little respectful.

It wasn’t meant as insulting, I was merely answering the question posed. I’m sorry if I offended you.

amother
  Cantaloupe  

Post Yesterday at 10:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
It wasn’t meant as insulting, I was merely answering the question posed. I’m sorry if I offended you.

Don’t meant to venture off your original question, but I’m not sure how you can consider yourself right wing and not really support the state of Israel. More often than not, it’s far right elements in Jewish society like neturei karta, satmar, yeshivish litvish elements that keep more chumras and don’t support the state of Israel. Keeping less chumras usually aligns with supporting Israel more. Most if not all right wing politicians in the world right now support Israel.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:31 pm
Don’t meant to venture off your original question, but I’m not sure how you can consider yourself right wing and not really support the state of Israel. More often than not, it’s far right elements in Jewish society like neturei karta, satmar, yeshivish litvish elements that keep more chumras and don’t support the state of Israel. Keeping less chumras usually aligns with supporting Israel more. Most if not all right wing politicians in the world right now support Israel.

I asked my question because I’m a bit lost as to where to send my children to school. Zionism is often central to modern orthodox life and I am aware of that. Also, opinions shift and change with time. Perhaps I phrased my answer wrong.

I’m really looking for some suggestions of places to look into. My husband needs to be ok with these places as well, hence why I asked about right wing schools. Again, im sorry if I offended you and I do appreciate your views on the topic.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:34 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
Sorry if I offended, was thrown by the short skirt comment.

The greater Teaneck NJ community has 6 MO elementary schools and well over a dozen (maybe 2 dozen) shuls. It is not a cheap area in which to live, but may be worth exploring if you are looking for an MO community, as being it is so large it is more niche specific. Bergenfield and RYNJ are stereotypically most right leaning.

No don’t worry about it. I’m a paradox or maybe I just strongly struggle with tzniyus. I know about RYNJ and it seems like a good option potentially. Bergenfield as in the community or as in the school? Also, what would be the next closest school to RYNJ?

As far as finances, that’s not going to be the main factor here. I am aware it’s an expensive area.

DrMom  

Post Yesterday at 10:35 pm

Perhaps I didn't understand your post, but it seems like you are mixing up right wing politics with right wing/chumradik religious hashkafot.

DrMom  

Post Yesterday at 10:39 pm
From what I understand, you are okay with a school which teaches rules of modesty that are stricter than what you keep, but you don't want a school that gives parents a hard time if their practices differ from the school's standards.

Is that correct?

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 10:40 pm
DrMom wrote:
From what I understand, you are okay with a school which teaches rules of modesty that are stricter than what you keep, but you don't want a school that gives parents a hard time if their practices differ from the school's standards.

Is that correct?

From the modesty perspective, yes. But I do dress quite out there. More importantly, I’d like a school that places a strong emphasis on both Hebrew and English education

amother
  Cantaloupe

Post Yesterday at 11:07 pm
DrMom wrote:
Perhaps I didn't understand your post, but it seems like you are mixing up right wing politics with right wing/chumradik religious hashkafot.

Op went to a left wing BY, but wants a right wing school for her children, that allows her to have less imposing tznius standards. Unless you’re comparing to reform schools, it wouldn’t be hashkafically “right wing” but more center right.

Or, unless you include politics which is definetly a thing for some places. There are definetly politically oriented left wing supporting frum communities, even if a minority only. Maybe I misunderstood op’s post. Correct me please if I’m wrong.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:10 pm
Op went to a left wing BY, but wants a right wing school for her children, that allows her to have less imposing tznius standards. Unless you’re comparing to reform schools, it wouldn’t be hashkafically “right wing” but more center right.

Or, unless you include politics which is definetly a thing for some places. There are definetly politically oriented left wing supporting frum communities, even if a minority only. Maybe I misunderstood op’s post. Correct me please if I’m wrong.

Left wing Bais Yaakov is not exactly left wing. I’m just trying to say that I didn’t go to an intense Bais Yaakov. I’m not particular about the political stances of the school or the parent body. Perhaps center right is a better way to put it, but my husband is a huge factor in this equation and I do need to bend to him a bit with options of where we can send the children.

DrMom

Post Yesterday at 11:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
From the modesty perspective, yes. But I do dress quite out there. More importantly, I’d like a school that places a strong emphasis on both Hebrew and English education

I don't think that MO schools care if you dress unusually. I would think covering what should be covered is more important than if you are covering with avant-garde clothing or something purchased at Old Navy or Junees.

I'm fairly certain that most MO schools by design place a strong emphasis on both secular and religious education.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 11:39 pm
DrMom wrote:
I don't think that MO schools care if you dress unusually. I would think covering what should be covered is more important than if you are covering with avant-garde clothing or something purchased at Old Navy or Junees.

I'm fairly certain that most MO schools by design place a strong emphasis on both secular and religious education.

Yeah I dress out there and don’t cover everything that I should. I don’t mind if the school asks for the students to cover up in school and I’m ok with the school having higher standards than the ones I have in my own home.

amother
Seagreen

Post Yesterday at 11:59 pm
Prospect in Flatbush for the girls
Toras emes for the boys

amother
Cyclamen  

Post Today at 12:03 am
I wonder if you would fit in more of the "community style day schools" better then a RWMO.

Its sounds like while you are completely on board with the centrist MO hashkafa, dh might not be comfortable with aspects of it (like participation in NCSY/co-ed camps), and the more RWMO schools will be incongruous with the way you dress and how you feel about Zionism

I am thinking of schools like Yeshiva Sharei Zion in Highland Park was back in the day ( I think it has changed since and become more RW) where you had parents who did not cover there hair and wore pants and then parents on the very yeshvish end of the spectrum in the same school, and a very high level of secular education.

Maybe there are some ima's with ideas of schools that are like this today.

When we where in Dallas there seemed to be a Day School like this, and I think that Boca has one as well.

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 12:09 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:
I wonder if you would fit in more of the "community style day schools" better then a RWMO.

Its sounds like while you are completely on board with the centrist MO hashkafa, dh might not be comfortable with aspects of it (like participation in NCSY/co-ed camps), and the more RWMO schools will be incongruous with the way you dress and how you feel about Zionism

I am thinking of schools like Yeshiva Sharei Zion in Highland Park was back in the day ( I think it has changed since and become more RW) where you had parents who did not cover there hair and wore pants and then parents on the very yeshvish end of the spectrum in the same school, and a very high level of secular education.

Maybe there are some ima's with ideas of schools that are like this today.

When we where in Dallas there seemed to be a Day School like this, and I think that Boca has one as well.

Here’s how I dress:
Short sleeves
Skirts above the knee
I wear a kippah fall usually but I’ll fully cover my hair for shul
For working out, I wear pants and a tank top but not if I’m on the street in the frum community.

Again, I don’t necessarily care if the school has a stronger Zionist haskafa than I do, I’m more wondering if my dress would be an issue for a more right wing modox school. Of course, I would show up to school functions as covered up as is expected.

But I appreciate the help. Boca might be a viable option for us to look into as would highland park. The tristate area is easier for us anyways.

amother
Burgundy  

Post Today at 12:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Here’s how I dress:
Short sleeves
Skirts above the knee
I wear a kippah fall usually but I’ll fully cover my hair for shul
For working out, I wear pants and a tank top but not if I’m on the street in the frum community.

Again, I don’t necessarily care if the school has a stronger Zionist haskafa than I do, I’m more wondering if my dress would be an issue for a more right wing modox school. Of course, I would show up to school functions as covered up as is expected.

But I appreciate the help. Boca might be a viable option for us to look into as would highland park. The tristate area is easier for us anyways.

You do you, but this isn’t RWMO.
You need an old time out of town accept everyone but we have our hashkafa school. YST in highland park doesn’t have parents like this anymore. RYNJ mentioned up thread does have some, but that’s not the hashkafa of the school.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics