Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Struggle getting her into pajamas

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:36 pm
I need advice. I'm a first time mommy, my toddler is almost 3 years old and she is bright and verbal. She generally doesn't tantrum because she can articulate what she wants and we can talk things through
When she is tired though she is like a different child. She cries and kicks and moves her body so much it's impossible to get her from the bath into pajamas.
I do bathtime early so that afterwards she will have time to play again before bedtime. Often she gives such a hard time that it takes forever and then it's time to go to sleep. I've tried explaining that the quicker she gets into pajamas the more time she will have to play. If it takes too long then she might use up all her time crying and kicking and rolling around on the floor...
I'm at a total loss what to do. I get so frustrated when she acts so out of control. I hate that I end up wrestling it on her while losing my cool.
Please help me, all advice tips and tricks welcome
Tia

amother
Blonde

Post Yesterday at 6:37 pm
It’s ok to wrestle kids into clothing you don’t need to feel bad. I’d bathe and change her way earlier so she’s ready before her tiredness hits.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Yesterday at 6:38 pm
Put her to sleep in underwear

amother
Gardenia

Post Yesterday at 6:39 pm
We pretend a monster is coming to eat my son up if he’s not in his pajamas. The monster comes to eat toes/ thighs/ bellies of kids not in jamas .we even rawr. Works every time

Brit in Israel

Post Yesterday at 6:44 pm
If you can do bath even earlier.
My DD is nearly 3, she likes to suprise me and do it by herself, she sometimes goes to sleep with backward pajamas but who cares.
The other day we got her in pajamas 'with her eyes closed' or I have had my eyes closed so she did a suprise for me whilst I helped her...
The main thing is it's before the exhaustion fight and it's a fun thing not a task.

amother
Tangerine

Post Yesterday at 6:48 pm
We try to settle down early too bath and pjs
Can be a struggle depending on the day and how my little one was that day.

Each kids different one might enjoy it, some don’t I find that with their foods they like, clothes some are sensory about their clothes some don’t care.

A lot a lot of patience and it’ll pass it’s a phase

amother
Hibiscus

Post Yesterday at 6:49 pm
Have the same thing but mine is 1.

DH bought a bottle of bubbles and sometimes blows them to distract her while I change her.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Yesterday at 7:01 pm
Does she have a blankie or paci that she sleeps with?
Give it to her while your getting her into pj's.
I do that with my 3 year old if I need to and it works like magic. She instantly calms down and let's me get her dressed.

amother
Apricot

Post Yesterday at 7:04 pm
At some point when she isn’t tired have a discussion. Ask her what about her pajamas bothers her. Maybe it’san annoying zipper etc.
if not, maybe order a pair of pajamas she likes and is excited about. (An exciting print for example)
If this doesn’t work, put her to sleep in underwear and dress her while she’s sleeping.
It isn’t worth the fight. It really isn’t.
Never make an issue out of something that you don’t see being a very long term issue.

amother
Mint

Post Yesterday at 7:09 pm
She’s still 2. Her verbal skills are likely more advanced than her reasoning abilities, especially when she’s tired. So skip the logic and pull out the games… races, songs, surprises, etc. and if all else fails, don’t feel bad to force her into pjs or skip it entirely. It’s a stage and it’ll pass.

amother
Buttercup

Post Yesterday at 7:25 pm
Sing with her while you change her. Let her choose a song.

tichellady

Post Yesterday at 7:46 pm
Does she need to bathe every day

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 7:50 pm
Thank you for giving me so much perspective

giftedmom

Post Yesterday at 7:59 pm
She’s not as big as you think she is. Toddlers are babies just bigger sized and talking more. Totally normal how she acts when tired. She isn’t old enough to understand your complex explanations about time. Toddlers don’t yet have a concept of time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics