Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Wld u give dc's non-Jewish teacher foods that u can't use?

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 12:53 pm
DD has a non-Jewish teacher. I'm on maternity leave at the moment, but I teach in the school and get along very well with her. Just wondering what others think of this.. I have some non-kosher food which I received as part of a promotion which I'd like to give her but I don't want her to think I'm 'bribing' her. I see her often when I pick-up dd, and if she wasn't her teacher this year, I'd give it to her without thinking twice. She knows about Kosher food-she goes to the Kosher grocery when she wants to give treats to her pupils or asks one of us to buy things for her-but I'm not sure if this would be ok.
Any thoughts on the matter?

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 4:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
DD has a non-Jewish teacher. I'm on maternity leave at the moment, but I teach in the school and get along very well with her. Just wondering what others think of this.. I have some non-kosher food which I received as part of a promotion which I'd like to give her but I don't want her to think I'm 'bribing' her. I see her often when I pick-up dd, and if she wasn't her teacher this year, I'd give it to her without thinking twice. She knows about Kosher food-she goes to the Kosher grocery when she wants to give treats to her pupils or asks one of us to buy things for her-but I'm not sure if this would be ok.

Anyone?

teachkids

Post Yesterday at 4:42 pm
“Hey, we ended up with these foods we can’t use, could you use them?”

Molly Weasley  

Post Yesterday at 4:51 pm
amother OP wrote:

What's wrong with giving your child's teacher a gift? I think it's a very nice gesture.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 5:02 pm
Molly Weasley wrote:
What's wrong with giving your child's teacher a gift? I think it's a very nice gesture.

If it was a usual time to give a gift like in December or end of year, then ok, but in the middle of nowhere I don't want it to seem like I'm giving as a 'bribe'...

Molly Weasley

Post Yesterday at 6:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
If it was a usual time to give a gift like in December or end of year, then ok, but in the middle of nowhere I don't want it to seem like I'm giving as a 'bribe'...

Just be upfront about getting the food as a gift, and it'll lessen any bribery vibes.

amother
Oak

Post Yesterday at 6:10 pm
Iv heard of not giving non kosher food even to a non jew as we arent allowed any benefit from it..
Does anyone else recognise this?

amother
Lotus

Post Yesterday at 6:12 pm
amother OP wrote:

I wouldn’t
I just don’t think non-Jews are desperate for free food and they often have a certain taste and won’t just eat anything.
Cooking or food are not as much on their radar as on ours

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:53 pm
amother Oak wrote:
Iv heard of not giving non kosher food even to a non jew as we arent allowed any benefit from it..

As far as I know that just refers to wine.

amother
Clear  

Post Yesterday at 7:07 pm
I do it all the time. My non Jewish colleague loves it! She says " the [gentile] is happy to get it!"

Tiredmom3

Post Yesterday at 7:09 pm
I would absolutely give it. Just explain how you got it and aks if she'd like it.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 7:10 pm
amother Clear wrote:
I do it all the time. My non Jewish colleague loves it! She says " the [gentile] is happy to get it!"

To normal colleague I'd give it no prob, I'm on the fence about it because she's teaching my daughter.

amother
  Clear

Post Yesterday at 7:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
To normal colleague I'd give it no prob, I'm on the fence about it because she's teaching my daughter.

I did this when she taught my son. I really don't think it's a problem

imanotmommy

Post Yesterday at 7:16 pm
amother Oak wrote:

Only certain things we aren't allowed to benefit from- like meat cooked with milk.

AYLOR, but I'm pretty sure most things aren't in that category, including meat that hasn't been shechted, cereal without a hechsher, etc
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics