What're you reading these days?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Roots

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 4:31 am
just finished the four winds by kristin hannah
absolutely piognant. excellent writing and so beautiful and very sad

rk22

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 10:24 am
I recently finished 'Sociopath, A Memior' by Patric Gagne. I can't remember if I got the rec from another thread. It was so interesting, informative, and engaging.

amother
  cornflower  

Post Wed, Jun 19 2024, 12:11 pm
I posted this on the other book thread a while ago but if anyone wants more book recommendations I have a blog where I post recs. If you want the link to it email me at bookreviewsandrecs@gmail.com.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 5:25 am
Roots wrote:
just finished the four winds by kristin hannah
absolutely piognant. excellent writing and so beautiful and very sad

Loved this one too! I recently discovered Kristin Hannah and loving whatever I've read so far. Can anyone tell me which of her books they particulary liked, and any recommendations for authors with similar writing styles?

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 5:40 am
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Loved this one too! I recently discovered Kristin Hannah and loving whatever I've read so far. Can anyone tell me which of her books they particulary liked, and any recommendations for authors with similar writing styles?

My favorite book by her was The Great Alone.

Jodi Picoult often writes books with a similar style. (Very emotional)

peace2  

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:12 am
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese.

Is it similar to his book Cutting for Stone? I found that beautiful but a little difficult to read

peace2

Post Sun, Jun 23 2024, 6:15 am
There don’t seem to be so many fiction lovers on this thread but I just read lessons in chemistry by Bonnie Garmus and thought it was a fun read
Demon copperhead was just sadness on sadness but I never read David copper field so maybe I just don’t appreciate it

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:43 am
I forgot about this thread for a while. I read There, There, by Tommy Orange a few weeks ago. It's an ensemble of characters, who all wind up at the same momentous event for very different reasons with different backstories. It was just OK.

I started reading Wandering Stars, by the same author, which is like a distant prequel to the above, but it wasn't very engaging and I quit.

amother
  cornflower  

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 9:52 am
I’m reading the memoir Just Kids by Patti Smith and I highly recommend it.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Jul 10 2024, 10:02 am
Just finished the women and I loved it.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Jul 24 2024, 4:18 pm
Just got Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

I read The Road some years back, when I was on a streak of apocalyptic novels. Reviews make Blood Meridian sound very different though. Looking forward to reading it.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 11:20 am
Maybe I should start dividing this into Jewish and non-Jewish books.

Jewish
- Finished To This Very Day a couple weeks ago. Fascinating!
- Read parts of Thriving in Our Yeshiva - and Beyond!: A Ben Torah's Guide to Maximizing His Growth in Yeshivas Rabbeinu Yitzchak Elchanan. It's a collection of different lectures and essays, so it's not the kind of book that you have to read cover to cover. Most of the content comes from either Rav Schachter or Rav Twersky.
- Now reading Great Biblical Commentators, Biographies, Methodologies, and Contributions, by Rabbanit Dr. Avigail Rock. She provides an overview of the biographies and approaches to Tanach commentary of major commentators with many illustrating examples, in approximate chronological order of when they lived. Before she wrote the book, some of her research appeared in a series of online articles, if anyone is interested: https://www.etzion.org.il/en/s.....s-en.

Non-Jewish
About 1/4 through Blood Meridian. Not getting a lot of time to read it.

listenhere

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 11:34 am
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah is also very good.

zigi  

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 11:00 pm
A good girls guide to murder- holly Jackson
Rules at school by the sea- jenny colgan

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 11:07 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Outlander- an echo in the bone
Mikvah Stories
Reclaiming dignity
One more, but I forgot what it is….
I read outlander during the week and the others on shabbos

Update:
so I finished that outlander and the next one, and I’m almost done with #9. The other books got misplaced for a bit, I will start reading them again once school starts. Oh, and I lent one out for a while also. The third shabbos book I read is “on their derech” which I find to be incredible.

amother
  cornflower

Post Sun, Aug 25 2024, 11:12 pm
Margo’s Got Money Troubles. Really like it so far but not the most clean.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 8:39 am
Jewish:
Finished Dr. Rock's Great Biblical Commentators. Was very good, I feel like she packed a ton of content into the 400+ pages and I learned a lot and will probably use it as a reference book from time to time. Wish my Hebrew was good enough to read the original.

Now reading Pathways to their Hearts, an English translation of part of Rav Nachum Rabinovitch's Mesilot Bilvavam. A series of essays on Rav Rabinovitch's philosophy and approach to issues such as the role of mitzvos, emunat hachamim, the halachic process, Torah and science, and others.

Non-Jewish:
Still in the same place in Blood Meridian. Not very motivated to keep plugging at it.

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 8:54 am
Modern Madness by Terri Cheney—really good and well-written

amother
  Maroon  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 8:58 am
amother cornflower wrote:
Margo’s Got Money Troubles. Really like it so far but not the most clean.

That was such a fun read for me too Smile

amother
  Maroon

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 9:00 am
rk22 wrote:
I recently finished 'Sociopath, A Memior' by Patric Gagne. I can't remember if I got the rec from another thread. It was so interesting, informative, and engaging.

There are theories that she lied about her educational background btw. You can go down a Reddit rabbit hole to see details.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room