Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Peeled garlic gloves

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 1:34 am
Isnt it a sakana to leave overnight? Can I buy them?

groisamomma  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 1:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Isnt it a sakana to leave overnight? Can I buy them?

I don’t know about the sakana but I put oil and salt if I’m leaving them overnight. Alternatively, you can buy them already peeled with a reliable hechsher in some stores.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 1:39 am
groisamomma wrote:
I don’t know about the sakana but I put oil and salt if I’m leaving them overnight. Alternatively, you can buy them already peeled with a reliable hechsher in some stores.

What does the hechsher mean? Isnt it brought down we cant leave eggs onions and garlic overnight unless mixed with something?

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 1:41 am
amother OP wrote:
What does the hechsher mean? Isnt it brought down we cant leave eggs onions and garlic overnight unless mixed with something?

For commercial use I think there's a heter
Some are more machmir though
Is there any ingredient with it?

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 1:44 am
amother DarkGreen wrote:
For commercial use I think there's a heter
Some are more machmir though
Is there any ingredient with it?

I dont think so. Whats the solution if I want to use a recipe that needs lots of garlic cloves? So time consuming to peel.

Ruchi

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 1:46 am
amother OP wrote:
I dont think so. Whats the solution if I want to use a recipe that needs lots of garlic cloves? So time consuming to peel.

I believe the frozen ones with a hechsher have some Citric Acid in them.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 1:46 am
amother OP wrote:

Peel and salt overnight. Wash the salt away in the morning. 🤷‍♀️

groisamomma

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 1:47 am
amother OP wrote:

You need them whole? If not then use the frozen garlic cubes.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 1:48 am
groisamomma wrote:
You need them whole? If not then use the frozen garlic cubes.

whole

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 1:53 am
They are allowed to sell it that way due to commercial use heter, and you're allowed to buy it from them for your own use. Same for frozen diced onion with no additives and a hechsher.

amother
White  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 1:54 am
Frozen garlic cubes and onion cubes have water and other ingredients which are fine.

They sell diced onions with nothing added so idk about.

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 1:55 am
amother OP wrote:
whole

I never thought of not buying whole garlic, it takes seconds per clove to peel.

Google peeled garlic from China, believe me you don't want to eat that.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 2:39 am
ra_mom wrote:
They are allowed to sell it that way due to commercial use heter, and you're allowed to buy it from them for your own use. Same for frozen diced onion with no additives and a hechsher.

(Frozen diced onions don't even need a hechsher according to Star K and some other hashgachos I've asked.)

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 2:41 am
I've seen links for a garlic peeling sleeve thingy that you place the cloves inside, roll it between your hands a couple of times, and it comes out without the peel. Not sure whether to try that or keep treating myself to the bags of cloves that you don't need to peel at all. Do they not sell them at Costco anymore? I used to get them there but haven't seen them the last two times I looked.

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 2:46 am
Cut off the roots, put the cloves in a container with a bit of water and shake for a few minutes, the peel slides off.

They started selling in Israel garlic heads that aren't split into cloves. You just peel the outside and have a head of garlic, you can then cut it to clove size or keep whole. I don't use large amount of garlic so haven't yet bought it to try

ShishKabob

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 9:54 am
I think it needs to be in oil overnight as well, and not just a drop, it should be nicely soaking in it. Ask your Rav what is his opinion on it. Many people hold differently.

sub

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 10:05 am
amother OP wrote:

I buy the ready peeled garlic in my grocery or fruit store. For crushed I buy ready crushed in the fridge section.
This is a splurge but a Game changer.

amother
  White

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 10:09 am
sub wrote:
I buy the ready peeled garlic in my grocery or fruit store. For crushed I buy ready crushed in the fridge section.
This is a splurge but a Game changer.

Well doesn’t the crushed garlic that you buy from the fridge have other ingredients in them ?
Like water or salt ?

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 10:47 am
Thank you OP for making me aware of this. I called the company and then my Rav. This was the verdict:
The garlic pieces have a tiny little brown spot ontop that is a little piece of the head which makes it kosher to use.

amother
Sunflower

Post Mon, Sep 30 2024, 10:49 am
Even though the leave the ‘hair’ on top my rav doesn’t like it. He said it’s permissible for commercial usage but didn’t feel I should rely on the heters.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen