Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Help me decide what to do

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 6:48 pm
I currently have a Shabbos wig, a fall, and a weekday wig that I don't love and therefore never wear. The cut (specifically the front) is just not right, and it takes way too much effort to get it to look nice. I pretty much exclusively wear my fall during the week.
I really want an easy weekday wig to wear, since a. I look better in a full wig than a fall and b. some outfits just are brought down by wearing a fall, and it's annoying to always have to match a headband or beanie to my outfit.
I have two options in mind.
1. Convert the wig to a lace front, which should solve the issue. This would probably cost around $1,000 if I color it, which I would probably have to do in order to get the lace front to blend seamlessly
2. Buy a cheaper, easy lace front for around $2,000

The only twist is this: my kids' schools have a policy not to wear lace to school. So I kind of need a wig that is NOT lace to wear to PTA, events etc.
I've had the newer Eva & Chloe skin top in mind for my next wig purchase, but it would get expensive FAST if I would convert my old wig and then buy a new wig on top of that.
I just feel like I have a perfectly good wig sitting in my closet that could be put to use with some investment, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to invest at this time. On the other hand, does it make sense to buy a skin top wig that I will probably not wear very frequently, PLUS convert an old wig to a lace top at the same time? I don't really see myself wearing it every day, since I assume it's not as easy and versatile styling-wise as a lace front (putting it half up or wearing in a low bun etc).

That was a way longer post than I anticipated, so kudos to you if you got through it and have some thoughts for me!

oohlala

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 7:10 pm
Why not a wig with bangs hence no lace?

amother
Grape  

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 7:13 pm
how does the school enforce this rule?

Momofcutes

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 7:14 pm
How about getting yourself the eva and chloe, and wearing either the band or that weekday one you don't realy like, the handful of times you go into school events?

amother
  Grape

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 7:15 pm
cant u just wear your fall to the school events and get a new lace top?

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 8:47 pm
oohlala wrote:
Why not a wig with bangs hence no lace?

Bangs don't look good on me

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 8:47 pm
amother Grape wrote:
how does the school enforce this rule?

I'm not sure they do, and I've seen mothers come in with lace, but if I sign an agreement, I am going to stick to it.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 8:48 pm
Momofcutes wrote:
How about getting yourself the eva and chloe, and wearing either the band or that weekday one you don't realy like, the handful of times you go into school events?

The Eva and Chloe is the skin top, but very flat and almost as natural-looking as lace. So I could wear that to school. But the question is if I should also go for converting my old wig to lace front.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 8:49 pm
amother Grape wrote:
cant u just wear your fall to the school events and get a new lace top?

Technically, but then it would be naturally a more casual look. Most don't wear a fall to these things.

emee2

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 8:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Technically, but then it would be naturally a more casual look. Most don't wear a fall to these things.

Does your school allow falls?

I would take your weekday wig to a very good sheitelmacher and see if you have another option that makes it something you love and can wear to school.

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 9:06 pm
I would space out the purchases and not buy/ convert the old wig at the same time. 1st spend money on the option that you would get more use out of now (probably a new wig) and in a few months if it makes sense you would do the 2nd wig (convert old wig to a lace front)

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Sep 26 2024, 9:25 pm
"The only twist is this: my kids' schools have a policy not to wear lace to school. So I kind of need a wig that is NOT lace to wear to PTA, events etc."

I know this is off topic, but I still can't get over the fact that grown adults let children's schools tell them what they can and can't wear. It's so juvenile, and insulting.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 6:50 am
amother Molasses wrote:
I would space out the purchases and not buy/ convert the old wig at the same time. 1st spend money on the option that you would get more use out of now (probably a new wig) and in a few months if it makes sense you would do the 2nd wig (convert old wig to a lace front)

So that's my dilemma - I'm not sure how much use I would get out of the new skin top wig. I think I would more likely use a new lace top or my old wig if I converted it. Maybe I should go check it out and see how realistic it would be for me to wear it frequently.

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Sep 27 2024, 6:54 am
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
"The only twist is this: my kids' schools have a policy not to wear lace to school. So I kind of need a wig that is NOT lace to wear to PTA, events etc."

I know this is off topic, but I still can't get over the fact that grown adults let children's schools tell them what they can and can't wear. It's so juvenile, and insulting.

I actually have a lot of respect for how they present their policy. The rabbonim they use for guidance hold that lace is assur. However, they recognize that the parents who send to their schools may hold differently, and have no right to impose their opinions on this matter on what the parents do at home, but they request that we follow their guidelines when we are at school events.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels