Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Question: Has anyone tiled their backsplash lately?

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 7:25 pm
I have a kitchen with about 30 running feet of counter, (a large kitchen) and Im doing counters in granite.

It will cost approximately $3,000 more to do backsplash with same granite.

If I buy medium cost Backsplash tiles, and have to pay for tiles and labor for the Backsplash tiles, wont it be close to $3,000?

What are the pros and cons of Tiles versus granite on the backsplash?

If its a big difference and using tile will be quite a bit less than granite on the backsplash, Id do that because I dont know how long I want to keep this house.

If its similar cost, Id do the backsplash in granite.

Has anyone had this option and priced it?

Again, I wouldnt choose expensive tiles, Id use average cost backsplash tiles.

tia

Genius

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 7:34 pm
I don’t live in Lakewood, but I just put in quartz counters and backsplash and it was significantly more expensive than cheap tile options.
Won’t you need to pay for backsplash installation/labor either way?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 7:53 pm
Are you doing a full backsplash or only the 3 inch high type? I just did a tiled backsplash, it was only for about 100 square feet because we have a lot of windows above the countertops. The install was about 500, the tiles were about 1000, at $10/sq ft.

calvinhobbs

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 7:59 pm
Yes it makes sense that at some pout if it’s large enough it will meet in price. I had that with counter tops. It only costed 600 more for stone versus Formica since there were so many feet and a double island.
(No I don’t live -yet- in such a big house. I work for a kitchen place)

The pros of stone is there is no grout and a flatter neater look but be aware that it may look monotonous if there is no or little design to it.
Alternatively, if you go with tiles you can purchase the huge tiles that look like there are a few of them already stuck together. I did that for a client a while back and it was super pretty and clean looking. There’s less grout and a finer overall look.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 8:11 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
Are you doing a full backsplash or only the 3 inch high type? I just did a tiled backsplash, it was only for about 100 square feet because we have a lot of windows above the countertops. The install was about 500, the tiles were about 1000, at $10/sq ft.

Wow. Im thinking 30 running feet of an 18" backsplash (between counter and cabinets, some of it is lower, may be about the same as the additional cost of granite ($3,000) where I wouldnt need any tile or any labor for backsplash bec it would all be granite like counter.

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 8:15 pm
When I was putting in my counters, they quoted me approximately $2500 for the backsplash in the same quartz material.

I figured that a tile would be cheaper and did not do the quartz.

Fast forward and the tile I chose for my backsplash was about $10/Sq ft. Totalling about $1400 for tipes. It was a unique design that caused a lot of waste. For the installation, I ended up paying close to $12/Sq ft.- about $1500 for installation because it was really a hard install.

The current backsplash is definitely nicer than the counter look, but fir me costed more.

If you get a straight big tile for less than $5/Sq ft, you'll do better than the counter.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 8:22 pm
Granite is a very intense look to do for both the counter and the backsplash. I would only do like tile marble or quartz for a backsplash

sunshine23

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 8:44 pm
I have stone backsplash it's white sparkly pop out jars to explain but really pretty and not expensive

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 9:15 pm
It is aesthetics for most people.

I don't like the like of granite or marble on counters and on the walls.

If you are redoing a kitchen it is very easy to decide what you want to do based on your choice of tiles versus additional granite/marble for the wall

There is relatively inexpensive tile which would be white subway tile or equivalent or there is more costly tile.

If you have a very intense patterned granite, it will be more costly because you would probably need to match it or else it looks terrible at the seams.

My tile was relatively expensive as it was $45 per square foot but I have a small kitchen so I could splurge on finishes. LOL

The 3" backsplash matching the counter is very dated looking and even worse is tile over the 3". Choose the whole wall of either tile or granite.

Chayalle  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 9:39 pm
I did granite counters and tile backsplash, and I remember the tile + labor cost me less than 1/3 the price of the granite. However, it depends of course how expensive your tile is. I used a basic subway tile that I found in Lowes and matched my granite beautifully. I wanted a simple look because my granite has alot of grain/color in it.

I love how it looks, but if I'd do it again...maybe I'd go for the granite backsplash. I find that over time there are cracks in the seam where the granite and tile meet. My sister has granite/granite and it's a thicker meet, and much more durable.

Amarante  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 9:40 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I did granite counters and tile backsplash, and I remember the tile + labor cost me less than 1/3 the price of the granite. However, it depends of course how expensive your tile is. I used a basic subway tile that I found in Lowes and matched my granite beautifully. I wanted a simple look because my granite has alot of grain/color in it.

I love how it looks, but if I'd do it again...maybe I'd go for the granite backsplash. I find that over time there are cracks in the seam where the granite and tile meet. My sister has granite/granite and it's a thicker meet, and much more durable.

The seam where the backsplash and counter meet is generally done with caulk and it has to be redone periodically in bathrooms and kitchens.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 9:43 pm
Amarante wrote:
The seam where the backsplash and counter meet is generally done with caulk and it has to be redone periodically in bathrooms and kitchens.

Right I probably need to redo it.
But my sister's kitchen is much older than mine and doesn't need it yet....I think it's a better, thicker joint and more durable. Maybe saves some costs in the long run....

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 9:45 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Right I probably need to redo it.
But my sister's kitchen is much older than mine and doesn't need it yet....I think it's a better, thicker joint and more durable. Maybe saves some costs in the long run....

Could be as they keep improving the caulk and even the grout.

When I redid my bathrooms relatively recently the grout they used was made to be used in "wet" areas and so was lower maintenance.

I have been told that there is even better grout available now and my remodel was only about 4 years ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries