Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
You Might Want To Stop Buying From Temu!

Cheiny

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 12:07 pm
'Exploiting Americans' data': House Intel demands 'critical' briefing on CCP-linked company Temu
House Intel Committee Chairman Mike Turner and Rep. Darin LaHood are leading the call

https://www.foxbusiness.com/po.....-temu

amother
Linen  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 12:30 pm
I'm surprised people are still surprised by this. All the Chinese sites and apps popular in the US are there to exploit Aemricans. It's been shown over and over again. People don't care. They want their cheap stuff and their tik tok.

amother
Wandflower  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 12:34 pm
I never signed up for temu after hearing of multiple people who had their credit cards stolen after shopping there. I’m sure every single person is having all their data stolen too.. same reason I deleted TikTok

AlwaysCleaning

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 12:44 pm
Take a look at their privacy policy, it's super sketchy

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 2:08 pm
For privacy just use PayPal. Also not such a big risk / hassle to get a cc stolen, canceling takes a few minutes

amother
Watermelon  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 2:16 pm
China recognizes Palestine as a state. They don’t consider Hamas a terrorist organization. Since the war started they’ve been making anti Israel statements. I know the amount I spend would make no difference but I’d rather spend more money and buy less merchandise than give them any of my money.

amother
Babypink  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 2:16 pm
Don't care.

I don't have the app.

I have purchase protection.

I never gave them any particularly private information.

amother
  Babypink  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 2:17 pm
amother Watermelon wrote:
China recognizes Palestine as a state. They don’t consider Hamas a terrorist organization. Since the war started they’ve been making anti Israel statements. I know the amount I spend would make no difference but I’d rather spend more money and buy less merchandise than give them any of my money.

Then you may as well not purchase from anywhere. See the voting on UN resolutions against Israel lately.

amother
  Linen

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 2:22 pm
Your credit card info is only one thing to worry about. Everyone freaked out about what kind of malware could be on their computer when they got those emails recently, but when companies have been proven to use malware on their apps and websites people suddenly don't care.

amother
  Babypink

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 2:25 pm
amother Linen wrote:
Your credit card info is only one thing to worry about. Everyone freaked out about what kind of malware could be on their computer when they got those emails recently, but when companies have been proven to use malware on their apps and websites people suddenly don't care.

Those emails were obvious scams. Our information is stolen constantly from various places. There is very little to do about it. Temu is only one source and frankly, not a very good one

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 2:29 pm
I don't use their app and I use PayPal. I don't find it riskier than any other online shopping I do.

amother
  Watermelon

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 3:27 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
Then you may as well not purchase from anywhere. See the voting on UN resolutions against Israel lately.

If you do that you’ll notice the u.s. is still on Israel’s side. It’s expensive to buy things made in u.s. though. There are other countries that aren’t as bad as China.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 4:11 pm
Almost every thing we buy is made in China. If not entirely then a component. Almost all the clothing from the frum stores is from China. And if not the clothing then the fabric.

(I saw in frum stores multiple items of clothing from shein. One cardigan was unique and identical to the tiniest detail)

amother
Acacia  

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 4:15 pm
I use paypal to pay

and I VPN - but honestly I dont care if they know what clothing I like

simcha2

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 4:27 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
I use paypal to pay

and I VPN - but honestly I dont care if they know what clothing I like

It's not what clothing. It's that the app has malware and harvest photos and other data from your devices.

It is not selling cheap items, it is using cheap items to harvest your data.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 4:30 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
Almost every thing we buy is made in China. If not entirely then a component. Almost all the clothing from the frum stores is from China. And if not the clothing then the fabric.

(I saw in frum stores multiple items of clothing from shein. One cardigan was unique and identical to the tiniest detail)

Before shein was its own site, it was an AliExpress seller that I started buying from after finding that label inside a top I got from a frum store 🙄

amother
  Acacia

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 4:34 pm
simcha2 wrote:
It's not what clothing. It's that the app has malware and harvest photos and other data from your devices.

It is not selling cheap items, it is using cheap items to harvest your data.

I don't use the app - I use the website with a VPN, in incognito mode. The app is much more problematic.....

amother
  Wandflower

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 4:45 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
I don't use the app - I use the website with a VPN, in incognito mode. The app is much more problematic.....

FWIW, websites can have malware, not just apps. And VPN isn’t doing anything to protect against that, and incognito is doing even less
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics