Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Frisch.. for high school next year

singleagain  

Post Today at 9:45 am
Good morning all

On behalf of my friend who doesn't have an Imamother account but is looking at Frisch for her daughter to start highschool next year.
Straight copy paste form her messages to me: I'll try my best to add her Q's and clarifications but can we start with this?

I guess just general student life info. How hard is it to fit in- a lot of cliques? boyfriend/girlfriend drama? Overall a friendly feel or do kids get lost because it's such a big school?

Maybe also about materialism, how intense is it. Like if you're not super wealthy would you fit in

oohlala  

Post Today at 10:50 am
It’s probably best to ask around in a more local Bergen county group.

singleagain  

Post Today at 10:51 am
Do you know of any?

oohlala

Post Today at 10:54 am
There’s a fb group called Teaneck Bergenfield moms. She doesn’t have anyone to ask in her neighborhood personally?!
My husband went here years ago and had a very good experience academically and socially but I imagine things have changed over the years.
I have heard that they do their best to take nice friendly kids.

amother
Banana

Post Today at 11:00 am
My kids are younger but I do know it’s hard to get into Frisch.

amother
Green  

Post Today at 11:02 am
I can't answer your specific questions but I live on the UWS and alot of kids from the neighborhood and got to Frisch. A friend of mine (not fancy, not wealthy fwiw) son just started 9th grade there and she was really impressed at what she saw so far. Our family is to the right of Frisch but my husband always comments that the Frisch kids may look 'scruffy' but they are really good kids and represent well in shul and community events and that the school does a really good job of making kids not only love school but love Yiddishkeit.

amother
Mulberry  

Post Today at 11:16 am
DC graduated too many years ago for me to speak intelligently.
We were very happy. My child has great Frisch friends, got a great education, is self confident, independent, and frum.

She should definitely speak with current parents about what they like and those about what they don’t like. What they don’t like is probably more important than what they do like. You want more than OMG it’s amazing. Shiryah is the best! My child loves Frisch!!!

Some tips to realize when speaking to parents, there is a lot of kool-aid about Frisch. Know your audience as some people may feel like anything negative about Frisch or the academics/class size/adjustment/social hierarchy is a negative reflection on their kid, so they may be less upfront. Pose questions in a very non-leading way.
Additionally, because there is so many more applicants than seats, people with younger children who are not there yet may also be hesitant to say anything but praises in fear their younger ones may not get a seat. It is unfounded, but this is how people think.

You may want to speak to people and pose it more of what are some peoples complaints and how do you feel about them? What are some challenges some people had as a freshman that they overcame, and what did the school do to help or was it on the kid/parent? Point blank questions about class size and if they feel it works with their tuition? How big house is the school, what does that mean? How did it impact their kid and their neighbors kids….?

(ETA regarding materialism-I buy all shoes at DSW clearance, clothing is end of season clearance. My children have never had a Montclair coat, and nothing is worse than some having the same thing-we like to be unique. I personally don’t get all the “in style” threads on this site)

singleagain  

Post Today at 11:21 am
My friend is not on Facebook and she's not on this website that's why she asked me to post. She found one thread from several years ago and instead of arriving it I started a new one

She also in her peer group. Her child is one of the oldest so she doesn't really know anyone else to ask questions of

Does anyone know a current fresh parent who I can maybe put in touch with my friend someone who would be willing to discuss things with her and have a more generalized conversation? Obviously this isn't the easiest way to get information, but she doesn't know even who to ask

amother
  Mulberry

Post Today at 11:27 am
Is she in Bergen county? Can she ask around shul? Ask the elementary principal to connect her with families who sent to the different schools?

amother
  Green

Post Today at 11:33 am
She needs to join facebook or imamother. Or both.

singleagain

Post Today at 12:00 pm
Okay, my friend does not is not interested in joining Facebook or email mother for her own personal reasons

Anyone hear a current frish parent who wouldn't mind emailing with my friend if you would message me with your email address and then I can pass it on to my friend or I can give you hers. Whatever is more comfortable. I'm just trying to help connect her

Like I said, her child is one of the oldest in the peer group who is going to high schools so she's not quite sure who to reach out to unless someone has a contact at frish as that can put her in touch with a current parent. But honestly that's a little bit more biased because the school was obviously going to give someone who has no issues and you want to talk to various parents. Still a little bit here

amother
Charcoal

Post Today at 12:18 pm
It has a good reputation. They attract good teachers. It’s a co-ed school so there might be the boy girl stuff which I would never want to put my kids through.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics