Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Teachers weigh in
Previous  1  2

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Sep 25 2024, 5:38 am
amother OP wrote:
I know it’s standard and typical, and yet I still think it’s a terrible idea.

Food for though those of you who are teachers. Think about how your making the kids feel. Be creative if you want them engaged.
Don’t say it’s good for the kids . There’s a time and place for everything. Want to make sure the kids who aren’t raising their hands know the material? Figure out a different way then potentially embarrassing them and making them feel overall anxious. No, the kid is a normal kid. Doesn’t need therapy or to work on anything. It’s plain old normal.

I'm sorry but it's not a terrible idea. It works for most students.

If it's not good for this specific child of yours, feel free to pick up the phone in the evening and ask the teacher to warn your child. Explain, nicely, that your child gets very nervous when put on the spot and would feel much more confident, and enjoy lessons much more, if he knew ahead of time when he would be called on. Don't pretend to know more than the teacher about classroom management, education, and teaching, because you don't. Just be a very nice, polite, respectful mother who understands that the teacher is teaching twenty or thirty individuals and who wants to work with the teacher so that your individual child has the best year possible. And you do that by speaking to the teacher and listening when the teacher speaks to you.

There's nothing wrong with what she's doing, but each child needs different things. Teachers really appreciate it when you tell them what your specific child needs.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children