Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Grocery store "etiquette"
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 5:57 pm
What is so important that you need to be on the phone when checking out at the grocery store?
I'm waiting behind you while you unload your cart with one hand, ask the cashier to repeat his question 3 times, take forever to fill out your check because you're not focused, and I'm standing there waiting.
Can you not tell the person on the other line to hold on for a few minutes while you check out?
(I need to know what you're discussing.)

amother
Phlox

Post Yesterday at 5:58 pm
For real?
The few times I've done that, it was an important phone call I was waiting all day for. Today it was my younger sister venting to me so I said hang on let me pay. But I didn't want to hang up on her.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:05 pm
Not literally for real.
But I find it rude and inconsiderate to shoppers behind you.
And saying hang on while I pay, is not trying to fill out a check, talk, and ask the cashier who to make the check out to at the same time...
It literally took triple the time. Never mind unloading with one hand while cashier is waiting for the rest of the stuff and everything else is bagged/boxed.

amother
Azure  

Post Yesterday at 6:05 pm
I don’t care about phone tho I try hard not to do that
I thought it would be a psa about people who save their spots with their carts while they keep shopping!!! And hold up the line!!

amother
Magenta

Post Yesterday at 6:06 pm
I know, right? It's always something inane, too. Never " Her temp is HOW much? Call 911 NOW and I'll meet you at the hospital" or even " Do NOT mix the ammonia with bleach." No, it's " So there we were with some free time and I'm like what do you wanna do and he's like I dunno what do YOU wanna do and I'm like duh if I had any ideas I wouldn't be asking you." Really important info that must be conveyed right now and can't wait.

amother
Dandelion

Post Yesterday at 6:08 pm
I think having loud phone conversations in public is weird no matter where.

amother
Cappuccino  

Post Yesterday at 6:09 pm
I think this is quite nasty. Some people have no spare time and their time to shmooze is also their shopping time. Good for you that your life is less hectic and you have extra brain space to look around and judge everyone who is just trying to do their best.

amother
Brunette

Post Yesterday at 6:17 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
I think this is quite nasty. Some people have no spare time and their time to shmooze is also their shopping time. Good for you that your life is less hectic and you have extra brain space to look around and judge everyone who is just trying to do their best.

That’s great, as long as they aren’t inconveniencing anyone else. Ie moving very slowly at the cashier or blocking an aisle without realizing or dilly dallying in front of a certain item that others would like to get to or pass through.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 6:18 pm

Nasty?? To ask someone to be mindful of someone elses time?
Would you be ok with waiting an extra 5 minutes in line, With kids and rushing to get home? Is it so hard to say I need a minute to unload my cart and pay....
Stroll up and down the aisles talking all you want, but when it comes to checkout am I really asking too much for you to pause the convo?

amother
Lime

Post Yesterday at 6:18 pm

There’s nothing nasty about it, and she has a point. At the end of the day it’s rude to talk on the phone while also talking to someone in real life- cashier, receptionist, whoever- and it’s especially inconsiderate if it makes people have to wait longer for you

amother
Pumpkin  

Post Yesterday at 6:24 pm
I was brought up that when being served you don't be on your phone, and that was 20 yrs ago or less.
Whenever I'm on the phone and it's my turn to checkout I always say, hold on I'm just paying, even if it's just tapping the card,
Be a human to the human behind the desk!

amother
  Cappuccino

Post Yesterday at 6:25 pm
No it’s quite entitled to have this attitude. Maybe spend more time being dan l’kaf zechus and seeing that people are clearly struggling. Do you think she wanted to waste time at check out? Maybe something is happening in her life. This is just really unbecoming of frum people, maybe help those who are struggling instead of just judging and ranting online.

amother
Slateblue

Post Yesterday at 6:30 pm
And here I am hung up on the fact that there are people paying for groceries with a check in 2024. I had no idea that was still a thing!

amother
  Pumpkin

Post Yesterday at 6:36 pm
No it’s quite entitled to have this attitude. Maybe spend more time being dan l’kaf zechus and seeing that people are clearly struggling. Do you think she wanted to waste time at check out? Maybe something is happening in her life. This is just really unbecoming of frum people, maybe help those who are struggling instead of just judging and ranting online.

Someone talking on the phone by checkout=troubled life. ???
Wow the world is alot more troubled than I thought it was.

P.s if the conversation seems to be to a friend or sister about which stores she found clothes for her kids and what she is serving for YT is that also meaning they definitely are struggling coz she is on the phone?

amother
Outerspace  

Post Yesterday at 6:37 pm

Yes, I do. Many people just have poor manners and are rude in public. I have such encounters almost every time I'm at the grocery store. People are just not mindful of other's & there's nothing wrong with a PSA to remind us to be mindful of other's. A big pet peeve of mine is putting the shopping cart at the checkout line & walking away to continue shopping. I move away the cart & go ahead in line. Or people that block the aisle with a stroller & shopping cart, causing a big jam in the aisle.
Having a loud phone conversation in public, especially while checking out, is just rude. Most of the time it's not an important call at all. Many women are on the phone all. the. time., and don't realize their surroundings or how loud they're talking.

Ihatepotatoes  

Post Yesterday at 6:46 pm
Let's lower the temperature a bit. Might sound a little surprising, but you both have a point. People might only have time to talk in the grocery, but it is incumbent on you if you do so to make sure you aren't bothering others because guess what? No one needs to hear how your Tante Chantchy's varicose veins are making her cranky, and many people also shoehorn grocery visits into busy days and honestly can't swing the extra minute it takes for you to load the groceries onto the register belt because you were on the phone.

Now what about giving snacks to kids while still shopping? Yay or nay, and why?

Basya

Post Yesterday at 6:54 pm
How about those who get in line and aren't finished shopping yet. Their cart (sometimes accompanied by a child or spouse, but not always) holds their place in line.
I've also experienced customers coming into the store, seeing the lines and immediately getting in line with an empty cart, so they can shop while holding their spot.

The worst was someone else coming over to the person ahead of me in a really long line saying "can I dump my cart into your cart, and I'll zelle you the money?"

Manners, people!!

Cheiny  

Post Yesterday at 7:02 pm
amother Outerspace wrote:
Yes, I do. Many people just have poor manners and are rude in public. I have such encounters almost every time I'm at the grocery store. People are just not mindful of other's & there's nothing wrong with a PSA to remind us to be mindful of other's. A big pet peeve of mine is putting the shopping cart at the checkout line & walking away to continue shopping. I move away the cart & go ahead in line. Or people that block the aisle with a stroller & shopping cart, causing a big jam in the aisle.
Having a loud phone conversation in public, especially while checking out, is just rude. Most of the time it's not an important call at all. Many women are on the phone all. the. time., and don't realize their surroundings or how loud they're talking.

I agree. The other day I was treated to the loud conversation of one shopper. I guess some people either don’t hear themselves or they don’t care. It’s classless. Other people shouldn’t have to overhear your whole gossipy conversation while they’re trying to shop (or anywhere else, for that matter).

Cheiny  

Post Yesterday at 7:04 pm
Ihatepotatoes wrote:
Let's lower the temperature a bit. Might sound a little surprising, but you both have a point. People might only have time to talk in the grocery, but it is incumbent on you if you do so to make sure you aren't bothering others because guess what? No one needs to hear how your Tante Chantchy's varicose veins are making her cranky, and many people also shoehorn grocery visits into busy days and honestly can't swing the extra minute it takes for you to load the groceries onto the register belt because you were on the phone.

Now what about giving snacks to kids while still shopping? Yay or nay, and why?

Someone actually told me something that I imagine most people don’t realize… it’s halachically problematic to allow your child to eat something in the store until it is paid for.

Ihatepotatoes

Post Yesterday at 7:14 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Someone actually told me something that I imagine most people don’t realize… it’s halachically problematic to allow your child to eat something in the store until it is paid for.

On the other hand, I've had store owners tell me they didn't mind. I gather because that meant that they would get my business. What I never got were the people who take "just one" grape..
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette