Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What's the obsession with "dips" for every shab
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

amother
  Jade

Post Today at 6:13 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
What's wrong with salatim? Doesn't need to be unhealthy.

In and of themselves salatim are pretty healthy. It's just that often people eat more challah with them than they should.

amother
Turquoise  

Post Today at 6:17 am
Ruchel wrote:
Shabbos party? What?
Yes, same for simanim. I'm not picking up stuff my family didn't do. Unless my husband's family did it. I mean random stuff.
Salatim dieticians are begging people to stop

Salatim, really? There is a such a large range and many are very nutritious. Ime homemade salatim aren't drowning in oil the way catered salatim are. My kids eat so many vegetables in that course thanks to the salatim. Carrots, beets, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers, fennel, kohlrabi. That's a typical spread for us and we love it. Can't for the life of me imagine why a nutritionist wouldn't approve.

Ruchel  

Post Today at 6:20 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
You mean Ashkenazi East European cooking, right?
Mayonnaise is more French/Spanish cuisine by origin but today it's widespread.

You can put mayo anywhere. But if you add ketchup to chulent it doesn't make ketchup Jewish

Aurora

Post Today at 6:22 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
Salatim, really? There is a such a large range and many are very nutritious. Ime homemade salatim aren't drowning in oil the way catered salatim are. My kids eat so many vegetables in that course thanks to the salatim. Carrots, beets, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers, fennel, kohlrabi. That's a typical spread for us and we love it. Can't for the life of me imagine why a nutritionist wouldn't approve.

Would you please post recipes? They sound delicious.

Ruchel  

Post Today at 6:24 am
amother Turquoise wrote:

The oil. I've been invited and seen. Salatim aren't crudités.

etky

amother Jade wrote:
In and of themselves salatim are pretty healthy. It's just that often people eat more challah with them than they should.

Also, I think that salatim were added to many people's shabbat menus at some point, but the rest of the menu was never streamlined to take into account the bulked up first course. So the net result is just a lot more food being served at the meal. People are just taking in too many calories at one sitting.

Bnei Berak 10  

OP, the Moroccan cuisine has loads of salatim/dips as 1st course. This is not something new, when the immigrants came to Israel they brought it with them and it has influenced the whole of Israel. Even super Ashkenazi Yerushalmim served tehina dip together with gefilte fish as a 1st course in the 70's.
And this influence was brought over to the USA.
It has nothing to do with Instagram or other media.
If you don't like dips then don't prepare and don't serve. Here is no Halacha you need dips.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Today at 6:30 am
Ruchel wrote:

So yes, many of them contain oil. If you do homemade you may skimp on the oil.

Chayalle

Post Today at 6:46 am
We never heard of dips when I grew up, but we sure dipped our Challah. I remember there was always the jelled sauce of fish, chrain (with or without mayo), etc....we didn't eat our Challah plain (unless we wanted to). The concept of Challah with spread is not foreign.

So later on when dips became popular, the additions were pretty natural. We did it because (we think) it tastes good.

amother
  Turquoise

Post Today at 7:09 am
Ruchel wrote:

Ok, what I make and in my circles we don't use a lot of oil. Similar to any other salad. There's nothing wrong with a little olive oil, in fact it's part of a healthy diet for most people. But all of the salads I make can be prepared without oil too if someone would choose. Why would anyone go to the extreme of cutting them completely?

Ruchel

Post Today at 8:32 am
From what I see people only like oil and skip if they can't have it
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note