Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Am I looking for a job that doesn’t exist?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 12:06 am
I can only work 5 hours a day. It’s not negotiable to work six hours for many reasons.
I have lots of experience in a certain field and have lots to offer but I’ve been looking for many weeks now and getting no place.
Recruiters barely want to look at me. They keep telling me 5 hours is part time and it’s very hard to find.
Lots of jobs I reached out to on my own told me the same or the one or two that would accommodate didn’t work out for other big reasons.
I feel like I’m looking for the impossible but at the same time I look around at lots of my friends and neighbors and most of them are all working 5 hours a day (or less!!)
I know it’s easier when you are at the same place for very long so you get the benefit of cutting hours but there got to be another way. What am I missing?! I’m really desperate for a new job

shabbatiscoming  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 12:15 am
Some professions just dont eally have a part time option.
What is your profession?

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 12:22 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Some professions just dont eally have a part time option.
What is your profession?

It’s office work.
I know people in the same field that definitely have shorter hours or remote options or no Fridays etc. but I can’t seem to find an office that I already know would hire like that with an open position…

amother
NeonGreen

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 2:20 am
Reach out to anyone you know in a place that accommodates and let them know you are looking to switch. If you remind them every so often, they will probably reach out when there is an opening because most places give employees a recruiting bonus.

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 7:14 am
5 hours is part time. That being said most women in Lakewood area work part time. I don’t know what you specialize in but keep looking.

Super2020

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 7:22 am
Are you asking for anything else other than shorter hours? I know ppl that want shorter hours but get paid as if they are working full time plus they want insurance benefits. When asking to work 5 hours a day you need to be flexiable with other things

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 7:26 am
I worked in one of the big lakewood offices and plenty of women worked part time. But no one was hired that way. You started off 9-5 and over the years you were able to negotiate.

amother
Snow

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 7:32 am
Have you looked in the BP, voice , macherusa, etc. Recruiters might be hired for more higher end positions. There’s def lots of part time jobs in Lkwd for women !! I actually don’t know anyone who works 9-5 lol.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 9:50 am
Perhaps the salary you are seeking is way more than 5 hours a day worth of work?

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 9:56 am
amother OP wrote:
It’s office work.
I know people in the same field that definitely have shorter hours or remote options or no Fridays etc. but I can’t seem to find an office that I already know would hire like that with an open position…
When you say office work, do you mean a secretary?

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 9:56 am
I think its not unrealistic but you it will take time for you to find it.
If you are desperate to start now then yes a bit unreasonable.
I was also on lookout for a job that ppl told me is not reasonable but if you wait around you will eventually find it.

DrMom

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 9:58 am
How about working in a medical office? Those establishments often have hours that are shorter than 9-5.

Or a school?

hello987

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 10:08 am
I am in Lakewood and looking too and seem be having a hard time. I am looking for a bookkeeping position about 20 hours a week and am having a hard time even though I am really experienced. The job market is really not what it used be unfortunately!

amother
NeonPink  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 10:49 am
There was a time when there was a shortage of workers.
Many companies did anything to keep their current workers and gave them very good hours.
The job market has shifted in Lakewood and companies aren’t so desperate for workers.
I find that companies aren’t willing to consider less than 9:30 to 3 for new hires
Once someone has been there for years they will work with them since they proved their worth.
I have huge flexibility but I know that majority of my company does not.
I’m sorry! We got so used to it being an employee market…

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 10:53 am
Try apex, my DH works there and said nearly all the women leave at 2

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 11:11 am
hello987 wrote:
I am in Lakewood and looking too and seem be having a hard time. I am looking for a bookkeeping position about 20 hours a week and am having a hard time even though I am really experienced. The job market is really not what it used be unfortunately!

Yes, there are hardly any options as it is and with me not being able to work 9-3 it cuts my options even more. I'm not even talking about salary. nothing even gets to that point. the minute the recruiters or the offices hear that I can only work 9-2 the discussion is over or the interview is not even set up. I have tons to offer and I'm being told that I'm so valuable with my knowledge and experience but there's no way they would hire for less then 6 hours daily. Its so so frustrating. Don't know where to turn.

amother
  NeonPink

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 11:18 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes, there are hardly any options as it is and with me not being able to work 9-3 it cuts my options even more. I'm not even talking about salary. nothing even gets to that point. the minute the recruiters or the offices hear that I can only work 9-2 the discussion is over or the interview is not even set up. I have tons to offer and I'm being told that I'm so valuable with my knowledge and experience but there's no way they would hire for less than 6 hours daily. It’s so so frustrating. Don't know where to turn.

Would you be able to do nights at all
I wonder if you agree to an hour at night they would be ok.
Hugs💕 It is so frustrating!!!

oohlala

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 11:25 am
Yes maybe if you offer to log in again at night for another hour or so they could work with it…
Hmm now that the job market is shifting, maybe more pple will consider teaching?

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 11:56 am
I've been working at night until now and it is such a killer. I'm so done with that. I really don't want to offer that especially not to be completely committed to that because things come up. Its really not practical once you have a family to do this consistently. unless hours are so flexible otherwise. Like my friend who comes and goes at her job at any random hour during the day but then puts in the hours she needs to fill at night or weekends on her own time. but If I'm working 9-2 every day its not like that one less hour during the day I'm just chilling or doing all my housework then. Its an hour that I need to take care of something else, so its not like I really have an extra hour to my day and just need to fill it instead at night.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 12:41 pm
What type of office experience do you have?

Have you worked in the real estate industry at all?

I might know of a position for you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries