86%  [ 98 ]
Yes, just let it go  
 13%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 113

amother
  Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 9:56 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
My friend won a trip abroad through a Chinese auction. The problem was, the organization overestimated how much money this campaign would bring in, and they didn’t bring in enough money to send the winners on the vacations promised. They tried to guilt my friend into not taking the trip, but she did at the end so I’m not sure exactly what happened. These auctions and raffles are so sketchy.

LOL

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 9:58 pm
These stories are all making me so frustrated on your behalf! I have won things once in a blue moon in the past and never had an issue. I had no idea it's this common for it to be a frustrating thing!

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 9:58 pm
It's very common that raffle winners don't ever see their prizes.

FlatbushGirl goes after these cons on Instagram who promise prizes and never deliver.

Super2020

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 10:07 pm
I would let it go after I reminded them. I had a similar story and just let it go even though the principal of it bothered me a lot.

amother
Anemone  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 10:34 pm
Have your husband contact them. It’s obnoxious but they’re more likely to respond to him. Also if he’s pragmatic like my husband, he wouldn’t care to call every day because it’s just what needs to happen.

If that doesn’t work I’d drop it because it’s not worth the frustration.

I once won a gift certificate from a Chinese auction. The store honored the certificate but they made me feel like a beggar for claiming it.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 10:40 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
Have your husband contact them. It’s obnoxious but they’re more likely to respond to him. Also if he’s pragmatic like my husband, he wouldn’t care to call every day because it’s just what needs to happen.

If that doesn’t work I’d drop it because it’s not worth the frustration.

I once won a gift certificate from a Chinese auction. The store honored the certificate but they made me feel like a beggar for claiming it.

This goes against all of my classical-feminist sensibilities. Queen If he can call every day, I can call every day. If he can get aggressive on the phone I can get aggressive on the phone. I can do this!

My plan is as follows- call again tomorrow. Be MUCH tougher on the phone. Be very clear about how many times I've called by now with no results, and ask what their plan is and why they haven't sent it til now. Assure them that I'll be calling every day until it happens. Ask for the email addresses of all relevant parties and follow up with an email. Report back here with what happens. Wink

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 10:43 pm
All these stories are so sad. I have a service business and donate gift certificates to organizations once in a while and I treat the winners as regular paying clients. Why would they donate a prize if they have no intention of honoring it?

amother
Vermilion  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:04 pm
Where’s the yashrus with some of these organizations?! Feh!

amother
Birch

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
I attended a customer appreciation event a few months ago. I was lucky enough to win the grand prize in a raffle, a $250 gift certificate to a choice of stores. I clearly heard my name called, and it's not the type of name that's all that common. I went over to the business owner to thank them after but there was a whole crowd around them so I figured I'll just wait for them to call me about it. Well, they never called. I meant to give it a few days and call myself and it slipped my mind completely, and I would only remember at times I couldn't take care of it, like Shabbos or in middle of the night. Finally I managed to call them and spoke with a receptionist and she took down the info and said someone will follow up. No one ever did. I called again a little bit later, different receptionist told me "Oh, Malky in marketing will handle it, I'll transfer you, leave a message." Do you think anyone ever called me back? Shocker, no. I called again later, they took down my info yet again. Still nothing! I called again later, they took down my home address and email address and said a gift card would be mailed or emailed to me.

It has now been 3 weeks since then, and absolutely nothing has showed up. On the one hand, I'm upset at the principle of it- I won fair and square, why are they not giving me the prize? On the other, I'm starting to feel like a bit of an idiot. Like, this shouldn't be happening, are they just planning to spin me along endlessly with no plans of ever sending me the gift certificate?

I'm going to call again tomorrow and make a bigger fuss. I HATE confrontation but I'm going to do my best and get aggressive if I need to. But like, what if they still never send anything? What then? Do I call every day just to harass them? I'm tempted to cuz I'm that annoyed. Mad But at the same time it's making me feel really weird. $250 is not petty change to me though so I'm still reluctant to just give up.

What would you do?

I know who you are and what business your speaking about. First of all the raffle was for $200 not $250 and I believe you were called after the event. Second of all, the last time you called was the only time you specified what gift card you wanted. (Toy store) They know about it. It's being taken care of. No need to call again. It wasn't forgotten about and should be sent to you this week.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:15 pm
Omg this same thing just happened to me last week.

I won a giveaway that was an item and $250 (same amount!!) and I was so excited and then apparently they decided that the two winners actually split the prizes so I just get this random item I didn't even want and the other winner gets the $250.

They did NOT make that clear at all when I entered and I feel so jipped.

I planned on using the $250 to treat myself to something nice and now I feel like I lost $250. I wish I never won.

amother
Tanzanite  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:30 pm
Amother Birch, your post is way out of line. You have no business posting such identifying information, regardless if it's OP or not.
At least have the decency to tell the person over the phone that it's being taken care of. Have the decency to communicate with them directly instead of posting an obnoxious post on here.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:30 pm
amother Birch wrote:
I know who you are and what business your speaking about. First of all the raffle was for $200 and you were called after the event. Second of all, the last time you called was the only time you specified what gift card you wanted. They know about it. It's being taken care of.

Oh cool. Sure, it's possible it was $200 instead of $250, my memory could be wrong regarding events from 7 months ago. I'll be happy with $200 as well, it's far better than zero.

I was never called, I checked my phone history from the business number and received no calls, ever. I only have a string of outgoing calls. I guess it's possible they called, once, from some other number and left no message, in which case how would I ever even know...

I only specified which gift card I wanted the last time I called because that was the first time anyone ever actually expressed understanding of what I was calling about and gave me a chance to tell them my choice. Prior to that it was just people taking my message and assuring me they'll pass it on.

And even in my last call, I was told "Ok, we'll send you something either in the mail or to your email address, I'll call you soon to let you know which to expect." And then I never got that call back about it. You can understand how to me it seemed like, after three weeks with no further contact, it was dropped yet again, right?

I can't tell from your tone whether you're just notifying me it's being taken care of or if you're calling me out a little bit. I feel like I was only ever polite and patient on the phone, but I'm sure if you read the timeline from my perspective my frustration makes sense.

In either case thanks for the update, it's cool to bump into someone actually relevant to the story on Imamother! Small world.

amother
Nectarine  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:31 pm
These stories are so frustrating. I wouldn’t let it go. But it pains me to see that this happens.

I have somewhat amusing similar story. My child’s school gave out a prize for a fundraiser, $100 to “Jerusalem pizza” (not the actual name, but actual name is a common name of a kosher establishment). There is a “Jerusalem pizza” located about a mile from the school, but my gift card was actually to an unrelated “Jerusalem pizza” about three hours away in another state. I assume whoever made the purchase made a mistake, and it was probably a young girl at her first job. I didn’t want her to get in trouble. I had a friend who lived near the other place so I gave her my gift card

amother
  Tanzanite

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:35 pm
My in laws won 2 round trip tickets to Florida, plus a camera from a very popular organization. When they went to claim the prize, they received tickets for specific dates that couldn't be changed, and an old model camera. They were very disappointed. They didn't get to go to Florida because it was a very weird & inconvenient timing. It's so frustrating.
My friend won a set of furniture from a local furniture store. When she went to claim the prize at the store, the store claimed that they never confirmed that they'd donate the furniture & the organization just put the prize in the brochure without confirmation from them.

amother
  Nectarine  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:40 pm
amother Birch wrote:
I know who you are and what business your speaking about. First of all the raffle was for $200 not $250 and I believe you were called after the event. Second of all, the last time you called was the only time you specified what gift card you wanted. (Toy store) They know about it. It's being taken care of. No need to call again. It wasn't forgotten about and should be sent to you this week.

This is odd. Why should OP have to chase down her prize and then shamed for doing so ?

amother
Clematis  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:49 pm
I once won a cake in a bakery but owner was not happy about particular school, I don't even remember why.
He said "oh they always do that in this school, no I'm not giving anything!" And ripped the certificate in front of me and put it in the garbage!
Happened a long,long time ago but hard to forget! I was shocked!

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:51 pm
My daughter went from store to store for weeks leading up to her school's Chinese auction. In the cold, in the dark. Got a bunch of little certificates donated from different stores to help her school have a Chinese auction and raise money for them.
There was an extra certificate after the raffles were over and her principal gave it to her (was small about $30 or $50). I used it the next time I frequented that store for my dd and the proprietor was like YOU'RE the one that one the certificate, I thought... never mind.
Made me feel like two cents, I shouldn't have been made to feel like a begger for using a certificate.

There's an organization that is known to pressure winners to "donate the prize back to us".

amother
  Clematis  

Post Mon, Sep 23 2024, 11:53 pm
I give out certificates to schools all the time for wash and sets. Unfortunately some ppl are just not menshlich that's why ppl have rules. If you have a free wash and set didn't bring in your wig the week before yom tov when sheitel mâcher is swamped with work.
I also had a lady tell me "I had a certificate but I lost it but I anyways wanted to come to you."
Me:Ok.
Can you please have it ready tomorrow?
Me:Ok
At pick up: "oh ty, I just found my certificate!"
Obviously bh not everyone but some ppl really take advantage!

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 12:00 am
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
I'm always skeptical of these prizes and specials ... Like if you win a wig they will throw a garbage wig at you ... Cut,baby hairs, coloring not included Nerd
Also with promos I went to a gown rental and after we measured all alterations and made up a price I said ill be using the $100 off as advertised so they said sure but that will be another $100 for alterations ...I took the gown cuz it was stunning but never patrionized that place again

I also never believed in the prizes, thats why as gratitude I will mention that I ordered a pump before my recent baby at baron medical supply (brooklyn) . They had an advertisement if you purchase a pump -covered by insurance- you get to win a bugaboo butterfly.

Guess what, I won. It was such a hug from hashem. Things are beyond tight and I didn't have a stroller where to put this baby into.

Yes I did get a brand new stroller. They were kind to mention that I get the equivalent value if I want to take something else.

Was super impressed from their service and honesty

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Sep 24 2024, 12:32 am
amother Clematis wrote:
I give out certificates to schools all the time for wash and sets. Unfortunately some ppl are just not menshlich that's why ppl have rules. If you have a free wash and set didn't bring in your wig the week before yom tov when sheitel mâcher is swamped with work.
I also had a lady tell me "I had a certificate but I lost it but I anyways wanted to come to you."
Me:Ok.
Can you please have it ready tomorrow?
Me:Ok
At pick up: "oh ty, I just found my certificate!"
Obviously bh not everyone but some ppl really take advantage!

How did she take advantage?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette