Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Thoughts on eternity band
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
  Pumpkin  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 4:07 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
False. People are turning more to mined as the value of lab is dropping because they like the exclusivity of mined.

This is not true. All of my (well off) friends are buying lab grown, because they’re getting a better product for less. And mined diamonds aren’t exclusive

People with money don’t just spend for the sake of spending

Certain high end brands will stay the same because you’re paying for the brand name or design, and even then I would not be surprised if some brands entered the lab grown field as well. Many already made the move to ethically mined, and everyone is much more environmentally conscious these days

Unless you’re getting brand name jewelry, you don’t care where your diamonds come from. It’s usually custom from your jewelers in the dd, and getting a good deal is a brag. Getting flawless colorless diamonds for your tennis necklace that is no name custom is a flex, over stupidly throwing away an extra 50k because the diamonds are “natural”

amother
Charcoal  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 4:15 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
This is not true. All of my (well off) friends are buying lab grown, because they’re getting a better product for less. And mined diamonds aren’t exclusive

People with money don’t just spend for the sake of spending

Certain high end brands will stay the same because you’re paying for the brand name or design, and even then I would not be surprised if some brands entered the lab grown field as well. Many already made the move to ethically mined, and everyone is much more environmentally conscious these days

Unless you’re getting brand name jewelry, you don’t care where your diamonds come from. It’s usually custom from your jewelers in the dd, and getting a good deal is a brag. Getting flawless colorless diamonds for your tennis necklace that is no name custom is a flex, over stupidly throwing away an extra 50k because the diamonds are “natural”

De Beers is dropping their line of lab grown diamonds and going back to mined, exclusively. That signals that the truly wealthy are not interested in lab grown and prefer their jewelry to have a certain cachet. Once everyone is dripping in lab grown diamonds anyway, the truly wealthy will pivot to something other than diamonds for their "special" jewelry. I predict that the eternity band trend will be changing to some other piece once they do so.

amother
  Burntblack  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 4:22 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
De Beers is dropping their line of lab grown diamonds and going back to mined, exclusively. That signals that the truly wealthy are not interested in lab grown and prefer their jewelry to have a certain cachet. Once everyone is dripping in lab grown diamonds anyway, the truly wealthy will pivot to something other than diamonds for their "special" jewelry. I predict that the eternity band trend will be changing to some other piece once they do so.

No it signals that the marketing lies finally caught up with de beers and they don't want to cut into their profit margins by having a perfect replica at a fraction of the price.

The only thing really expensive in the jewelry market right now is precious metals. Maybe the wealthy will only buy 24k gold and platinum but the problem is, there's no way for it to "look" more prestigious than everything cheaper.

Maybe very rare stones?

amother
  Springgreen  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 4:55 pm
amother Burntblack wrote:
Which is beyond silly IMO.

If someone says I only wear gold and I won't wear gold plated, I fully understand that. Gold plated will tarnish, causes allergic reactions in some, and in a few months, looks dull. If they say I only wear precious gems but not cz, that also makes sense. Cz is obvious a mile away and doesn't have the fire or brilliance of a precious gem.

Saying I only wear mined and not lab because it's somehow better is like saying natural babies are more human than IVF babies.

Hate this IVF comparison.
A mined diamond retains more value than its lab grown counterpart. I would hate to pass down to my daughters worthless chunks of lab grown diamonds.

amother
  Pumpkin  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 4:57 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:

De beers hasn’t been popular among the “truly wealthy”, or even wealthy, for decades. They are the Lord & Taylor’s of Jewelers. And they only control a fraction of the market nowadays, so I won’t be looking to them for trend expectations regardless

amother
  DarkOrange  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:02 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
Please stop using the analogy of IVF babies - it’s so offensive.
Yes actually jewelers can see under a loupe the difference between lab and mined.
To the OP - Mazel tov - enjoy your baby and enjoy your ring! May you wear it in good health for many years. You don’t owe anyone an explanation (even though some imamothers would make you feel otherwise)

No you cannot. I did enough research on it in person and literature. The only person that can using specific procedures is a licensed gemologist.

ittsamother  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:02 pm
Out of curiosity, why specifically are people upset over the IVF comparison?

amother
  Pumpkin  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:06 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
Hate this IVF comparison.
A mined diamond retains more value than its lab grown counterpart. I would hate to pass down to my daughters worthless chunks of lab grown diamonds.

It’s a good comparison because it’s accurate where the only difference is made in a lab vs made in the earth. Scientifically they are the exact same

And lab brown retains value just is valued at less because the cost is less. And diamonds don’t hold value well regardless since they’re incredibly marked up

And even if they did- do you only buy things for the resale value? I take this into consideration for lots of my purchases, but not for diamonds. My brand name jewelry holds its value for now, and I really prefer to buy things in gold. I’d rather diamonds be on my purse then on my ears (iykyk)

amother
  DarkOrange  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:10 pm
ittsamother wrote:
Out of curiosity, why specifically are people upset over the IVF comparison?

I'm wondering too. It's a funny comparison don't get me wrong, but in actuality it's a pretty decent analogy.

amother
  Clover

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow so much judgement in one thread.

I’m not supported. We don’t get any help at all. I don’t qualify for any government aid.

And for the poster who said isn’t the baby the gift- have you ever gone through an extremely difficult pregnancy?

Who said I don’t live simply and a kollel lifestyle? Does one jewlery purchase negate that?

Nuance.

I have gone through a difficult pregnancy, and what got me through was knowing I will iy"H have a delicious baby to cherish and raise.

If the Jewelry helped you through, well, good for you, because B"H sounds like you got it.

What was your original intended question? I think posters are getting the feeling that your disappointed in not getting mined diamonds, but could be that's totally off.

amother
  Tuberose

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:14 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
I'm wondering too. It's a funny comparison don't get me wrong, but in actuality it's a pretty decent analogy.

Not really.. IVF babies are arguably more “precious” because years of tears sweat and money went into the process.
And no one at all can tell the “difference” between IVF vs not while an expert jeweler can often tell the diff between lab and mined.

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:27 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
De beers hasn’t been popular among the “truly wealthy”, or even wealthy, for decades. They are the Lord & Taylor’s of Jewelers. And they only control a fraction of the market nowadays, so I won’t be looking to them for trend expectations regardless

Regardless, if everyone is wearing an eternity band no matter the origin of the diamond, that piece has no cachet and the truly wealthy trendsetters will be pivoting to something else as their special milestone piece. Maybe something with pearls--the really expensive natural type--not freshwater ones.

amother
  Burntblack  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:33 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
Regardless, if everyone is wearing an eternity band no matter the origin of the diamond, that piece has no cachet and the truly wealthy trendsetters will be pivoting to something else as their special milestone piece. Maybe something with pearls--the really expensive natural type--not freshwater ones.

Let the rich enjoy their pearls. I don't find pearls nearly as pretty as diamonds and other colored gems.

I have some pearl jewelry and while it's pretty, it doesn't shine or standout the way gemstones and diamonds do.

amother
  Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:35 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:

Eternity bands haven’t really been milestone gifts for some time now. It depends on the person but among my friends it’s a bag, watch or a car. If it is jewelry it’s usually something from a high end brand

amother
  Charcoal

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:39 pm
amother Burntblack wrote:
Let the rich enjoy their pearls. I don't find pearls nearly as pretty as diamonds and other colored gems.

I have some pearl jewelry and while it's pretty, it doesn't shine or standout the way gemstones and diamonds do.

Everyone should wear what they like, of course, but for people who want to stay on trend and have a limited budget to spend, they should know what is worth spending money on if they want to buy something that will not look outdated in a few years. If you are stretching yourself to spend 2k or however much on something that you hope to still be in style 20 years from now, diamond encrusted jewelry may not be the way to go.

amother
  DarkOrange  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:40 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
Not really.. IVF babies are arguably more “precious” because years of tears sweat and money went into the process.
And no one at all can tell the “difference” between IVF vs not while an expert jeweler can often tell the diff between lab and mined.

An expert jeweler cannot tell the difference. As I said only a licensed gemologist using very specific procedures can. Even under a microscope they can't tell. I didn't enough research on this matter.

amother
Quince

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow so much judgement in one thread.

I’m not supported. We don’t get any help at all. I don’t qualify for any government aid.

And for the poster who said isn’t the baby the gift- have you ever gone through an extremely difficult pregnancy?

Who said I don’t live simply and a kollel lifestyle? Does one jewlery purchase negate that?

Nuance.

Hi, op. I've refrained from chiming in because somehow this topic always brings so much judgement.
I like jewelry. Yes I/dh spend a couple thousand on jewelry after I have a baby. Yes I think it's very meaningful and I expect and appreciate a gift after giving birth. I also live a simple klei kodesh lifestyle. (For example...We don't vacation, literally ever, and other things are very simple.)

I totally get you. I've thought about getting an upgraded diamond ring but the only way to afford that would be zircon or lab. And I feel like every time someone complimented it I would feel like a fraud and feel compelled to say "oh it's not real!!!!". I really really want an eternity ring though (despite all the naysayers here about it being for women who have been married 50 years and so on, fact is that it's pretty common now). And the only way would be lab so I'm trying to adjust my thinking.

amother
  Springgreen  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 6:01 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:

It’s an inaccurate analogy. People are not a finite resource. Mined diamonds are.

amother
  Burntblack  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 6:08 pm
It’s an inaccurate analogy. People are not a finite resource. Mined diamonds are.

There are more than enough diamonds to be had. The whole idea of finite resource is a marketing tactic.

ittsamother  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 6:09 pm

But why is that relevant to the analogy? The point is that if I place two rings down in front of you, you would never know which is lab and which is mined because chemically they are the exact same, they will react the same way to all circumstances, their makeup is the same. It just so happens that one took a very long time deep in the earth to come into being and one took a very short time in a lab to come into being but end result, they are the same item.

It's not like a CZ or moissanite which is inherently a different creation and therefore cannot compare to a diamond. These are both 100% diamonds, they were just formed through a different procedure.

I think the people who are getting offended at the IVF analogy are only doing so because in their minds they still feel lab diamonds are somehow inferior and therefore it's insulting, while to those using the analogy it's not insulting at all because their entire point is that a lab diamond is no different than a mined diamond.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics