Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Thoughts on eternity band
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

kenz  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 9:17 am
amother Amber wrote:
I get you op. I recently got lab stud earrings. It’s something I’ve always wanted and when lab became popular I asked my husband to buy me those as why waste thousands on real. After getting effusive compliments from a friend who probably had the real thing I felt like a fraud. I didn’t say anything but felt weirded out. I felt like she was excited about the cost of them vs just owning them. A pair like I got can easily go up to 30k in real. Mine were around 5k. I do have some real very expensive jewelry so people may assume I have the real deal.

5k is not considered expensive jewelry?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 9:28 am
amother Freesia wrote:
Anyone on here like me and just doesn’t value jewelery? I can’t comprehend wanting an eternity band enough to drop thousands on it. I’d be so disappointed if my husband bought me one, what a waste of funds.

I started my own thread. I'm fascinated.
I do enjoy jewelry, just not the big bucks stuff. It's my taste, not because I can't afford it.

writinggirl  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 9:39 am
ittsamother wrote:
Good for you!! I honestly don't see the point in spending thousands of dollars for something sparkly if you can get something equally sparkly and durable for way less.

And as lab diamonds are going to get more and more popular, regular diamonds will lose their value anyway because there will be less of a demand for it.

ETA: What's the best way to buy a moissanite bracelet or ring?

Just the opposite- I would think regular diamonds will become even more valuable, desirable and exclusive as the lab grown industry continues to grow. Other lab grown gems have been around for a while (ie ruby, sapphire, emerald) and they haven’t affected the price of natural gems.

amother
  DarkOrange  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 10:01 am
amother NeonPurple wrote:
I paid 5K for 40 pointers lab grown full eternity band...
but they are ovals so maybe that also upped the price....there is also different quality in lab as well (just as in mined....)

Ovals are alot more. Every point makes the price go up. Not much but for 3 points bigger it's significant. I didn't want bigger than .37 because I was afraid that it will be too big. I'm glad I didn't go bigger as is I'm still doubting if I should've gone a little smaller. I wanted ovals but it was way out of my budget. An oval eternity band is also more stones. Ovals in general are more expensive than round combined with the fact that you need more stones An oval eternity band is alot more than a round stone band.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 10:05 am
amother Honey wrote:
Not true. Kollel life is a luxury and usually they are being supported. The working families typically have no one to back them.
I was able to afford a lot more when dh was in kollel vs later years when we were supporting ourselves . Bh I got jewelry back than because I haven't gotten a new piece in years!

In my circles, kollel couples, who have any extra money due to their parents’ generous support/help, put that money away towards a down payment for a house (or future simchos, or other necessary foreseeable expenses). They don’t blow it on frivolous extras. Maybe it’s because they don’t see their parents spending on expensive jewelry or other luxuries.

signed - a kollel wife of nearly 4 decades, B”H

amother
  DarkOrange  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 10:06 am
kenz wrote:
5k is not considered expensive jewelry?

It is. It's very expensive but you can't judge. The last time I got a real piece of jewelry was 10 years ago. Dh wanted to spend 5k on me now. He wanted to use it on something else. I hinted to him I'd rather do jewelry.
Now, I had the choice of 1 magnificent eye catching piece or divide it. I decided that I don't must have the nicest and most expensive whatever. For me it's alot more worth to get something a drop less stunning and 2 things. I did. I bought 2 pieces of jewelry and good watch. I always had $100 watches. I got a brand. The 2 pieces I got are gorgeous and I love it just as much even though I didn't spend 5k on each.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 10:07 am
Wow so much judgement in one thread.

I’m not supported. We don’t get any help at all. I don’t qualify for any government aid.

And for the poster who said isn’t the baby the gift- have you ever gone through an extremely difficult pregnancy?

Who said I don’t live simply and a kollel lifestyle? Does one jewlery purchase negate that?

Nuance.

amother
  Pumpkin  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 10:10 am
writinggirl wrote:
Just the opposite- I would think regular diamonds will become even more valuable, desirable and exclusive as the lab grown industry continues to grow. Other lab grown gems have been around for a while (ie ruby, sapphire, emerald) and they haven’t affected the price of natural gems.

As with almost everything, supply and demand controls the prices. If there is less demand for mined diamonds, the value drops as do the prices

amother
  Pumpkin  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 10:16 am
I will say that lab grown diamonds are still real diamonds. They have the exact same chemical properties they are just created in a lab. The main difference is that they are less expensive (and dangerous) to produce as mined diamonds so they cost less to buy. It’s not like cz or moissanites or whatever else. They are literally actual diamonds.

It’s actually the exact same as comparing a naturally conceived baby with an IVF baby. Even though the IVF baby was “created” in a lab it’s still a real baby!

amother
Springgreen  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 11:08 am
amother Pumpkin wrote:
I will say that lab grown diamonds are still real diamonds. They have the exact same chemical properties they are just created in a lab. The main difference is that they are less expensive (and dangerous) to produce as mined diamonds so they cost less to buy. It’s not like cz or moissanites or whatever else. They are literally actual diamonds.

It’s actually the exact same as comparing a naturally conceived baby with an IVF baby. Even though the IVF baby was “created” in a lab it’s still a real baby!

Not the same comparison at all. At the end of the day, mined diamonds are a finite resource so they will always have more value. Lab diamonds will likely cost less and less as they become easier to produce.

ittsamother  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 11:43 am
amother Springgreen wrote:
Not the same comparison at all. At the end of the day, mined diamonds are a finite resource so they will always have more value. Lab diamonds will likely cost less and less as they become easier to produce.

As I've learned on this site, the price of mined diamonds is already very inflated artificially. They're not all that rare, there's no real reason they should cost what they do, unlike gold. The prices have been jacked up to make them more valuable and rare in people's eyes. So as the demand for them drops as people start seeing they love the feel and look of lab diamonds just as much and they are way less, I feel like the producers and sellers just won't be able to demand those high prices anymore, many buyers will just turn to lab-grown.

s1

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow so much judgement in one thread.

I’m not supported. We don’t get any help at all. I don’t qualify for any government aid.

And for the poster who said isn’t the baby the gift- have you ever gone through an extremely difficult pregnancy?

Who said I don’t live simply and a kollel lifestyle? Does one jewlery purchase negate that?

Nuance.

I'm not judging YOU, I'm judging the society where these purchases are the norm.
(I'm not in the USA, noone I know spends $2000 on jewellery)
I wish you and your baby good health and happiness and a ksiva vchasima tova.

writinggirl

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:00 pm
ittsamother wrote:
As I've learned on this site, the price of mined diamonds is already very inflated artificially. They're not all that rare, there's no real reason they should cost what they do, unlike gold. The prices have been jacked up to make them more valuable and rare in people's eyes. So as the demand for them drops as people start seeing they love the feel and look of lab diamonds just as much and they are way less, I feel like the producers and sellers just won't be able to demand those high prices anymore, many buyers will just turn to lab-grown.

To my knowledge, that’s not how luxury items work. If everyone is walking around in lab grown, then mined diamonds will just become more coveted. See my post up thread.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:24 pm
What part feels like a fraud, that the diamonds aren't real or that you're wearing this peice of jewelry?

amother
  NeonPurple  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:46 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:

Exactly!! like the poster said, "you can't tell with the naked eye..." well obviously not! there isn't anything to tell!! chemically it is identical to a diamond so you can't tell the different with a naked eye or a microscope either!
the only difference is if the diamond was conceived naturally or in a lab (similar to ivf)

amother
  NeonPurple

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 5:48 pm
writinggirl wrote:
To my knowledge, that’s not how luxury items work. If everyone is walking around in lab grown, then mined diamonds will just become more coveted. See my post up thread.

except many many wealthy ppl are going lab....natural is NOT considered more luxurious...in fact many vegan, tree hugger types are going lab as well due to their stance against blood diamonds.

amother
  DarkOrange  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 6:03 pm
Exactly!! like the poster said, "you can't tell with the naked eye..." well obviously not! there isn't anything to tell!! chemically it is identical to a diamond so you can't tell the different with a naked eye or a microscope either!
the only difference is if the diamond was conceived naturally or in a lab (similar to ivf)

Well said. Under a microscope you can't tell either.

amother
  Chicory  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 6:28 pm
except many many wealthy ppl are going lab....natural is NOT considered more luxurious...in fact many vegan, tree hugger types are going lab as well due to their stance against blood diamonds.

False. People are turning more to mined as the value of lab is dropping because they like the exclusivity of mined.

amother
  Burntblack  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 6:57 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
False. People are turning more to mined as the value of lab is dropping because they like the exclusivity of mined.

Which is beyond silly IMO.

If someone says I only wear gold and I won't wear gold plated, I fully understand that. Gold plated will tarnish, causes allergic reactions in some, and in a few months, looks dull. If they say I only wear precious gems but not cz, that also makes sense. Cz is obvious a mile away and doesn't have the fire or brilliance of a precious gem.

Saying I only wear mined and not lab because it's somehow better is like saying natural babies are more human than IVF babies.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 7:06 pm
Please stop using the analogy of IVF babies - it’s so offensive.
Yes actually jewelers can see under a loupe the difference between lab and mined.
To the OP - Mazel tov - enjoy your baby and enjoy your ring! May you wear it in good health for many years. You don’t owe anyone an explanation (even though some imamothers would make you feel otherwise)
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics