Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Xenon glasses to slow down myopa
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Sep 20 2024, 3:19 pm
Anyone tried it? Did it work? How long did your child have it for? How much did it cost you?

Are atropin drops better?
Any help appreciated!

amother
Lime  

Post Sat, Sep 21 2024, 5:35 pm
Sorry I cant help.
Iv had experience with corrective lenses.
This sounds interesting.

What are these glasses?
Is it permanent change?
I havent heard of the drops either.
What do they do?

amother
Marigold  

Post Sat, Sep 21 2024, 5:41 pm
Is it Myosmart?

amother
Magnolia  

Post Sat, Sep 21 2024, 6:51 pm
BH we have had great success with miyosmart glasses lenses.

amother
NeonOrange  

Post Sat, Sep 21 2024, 9:07 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:

Can you tell me more?

Who prescribed them?

How high was your child’s rx and how fast was it going up?

Was there an adjustment period for the kid when s/he started wearing them?

How long as you using them?

Is it a forever thing or can they go back to normal lenses after some time?

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Sep 21 2024, 10:40 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:

Where are you located? I'm in Lakewood. Dr Cohen's office suggested it. I heard it's not available everywhere in America yet.
Are those the glasses you're talking about? For some reason they used another name.
Only center of glasses have the right prescription and around are blurry to make eyes work harder/more focused?
Did I understand correctly?

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Sep 21 2024, 10:45 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:

Sounds very similar to what they suggested.
How often do you have to replace? How much were the glasses?
How much "success" are we talking about?
Tysm for your help! Sorry for asking so many questions!

amother
Tuberose

Post Sat, Sep 21 2024, 10:55 pm
I am looking into using atropin for my dd now.
I regret I didn’t use for an older child who was at this point when he was younger.

My dr also suggested contacts (my dd is 8) designed to slow the progression. Maybe miSight

amother
Lawngreen  

Post Sat, Sep 21 2024, 11:05 pm
We are trying atropin but frequently forget and it’s very hard to get the drops in dc eye

Dc doesn’t want contact lenses

Would love to learn more about the glasses. Cost? Do I need to go to a special store for these glasses lenses? Is it hard for dc to get used to?

amother
Dill  

Post Sat, Sep 21 2024, 11:37 pm
Dd was not a candidate for the glasses, I think because she has astigmatism also. Her eyes are too sensitive for the atropine drops. She is currently in special contacts that will hopefully help! Going to the eye doctor this week to check on her progress.

I find it so great that there are ways to slow the progression of myopia. As a kid my prescription jumped so rapidly, I wish this existed in the 90s!

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Sep 21 2024, 11:58 pm
amother Dill wrote:
Dd was not a candidate for the glasses, I think because she has astigmatism also. Her eyes are too sensitive for the atropine drops. She is currently in special contacts that will hopefully help! Going to the eye doctor this week to check on her progress.

I find it so great that there are ways to slow the progression of myopia. As a kid my prescription jumped so rapidly, I wish this existed in the 90s!

Interesting! I was told my ds is not a candidate for contacts because of his astigmatism!!

amother
Celeste  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 12:35 am
amother OP wrote:
Interesting! I was told my ds is not a candidate for contacts because of his astigmatism!!

My daughter has astigmatism and uses ortho-k lenses. I was told they were her best option when the atropine drops weren't helping enough.

Bh she's doing great.

zebra111  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:13 am
Im in israel but also use these glasses for some of my kids. I tried it for 3 of them...it works for 2 of them, didnt help with 1 (inrerestingly the one with astygmatism..). For 1 it didnt help the first 6 months (she went down another .75) but after that she actually improved a whole number in both eyes. For the other, she was going down about a full number every 9-12months..since starting these 2 yrs ago shes gone down total .5.
Theres maybe a day adjustment where my kids complained it was annoying they had to keep moving their heads (as its blurry on the periphery). After that nothing.
Price wise here they cost about 2000shekel a pair, that probably doesnt help u but may help someone else.
Happy to answer any other ques

amother
  NeonOrange  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:20 am
amother OP wrote:
Where are you located? I'm in Lakewood. Dr Cohen's office suggested it. I heard it's not available everywhere in America yet.
Are those the glasses you're talking about? For some reason they used another name.
Only center of glasses have the right prescription and around are blurry to make eyes work harder/more focused?
Did I understand correctly?

Dr cohen told us it’s been around in Israel Canada and Japan for a few years, and now he and one dr in Michigan are the only ones in the US with them. He has then done February. I presume it’s the same thing marketed under a different name. I also thought they said mysight when I was making a follow up appointment but maybe she really said myosmart. We are following up with a checkup in six months to see if we should try it.

He said it’s about $500
And he said contacts for this is about $2k a year

amother
  NeonOrange  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:27 am
zebra111 wrote:
Im in israel but also use these glasses for some of my kids. I tried it for 3 of them...it works for 2 of them, didnt help with 1 (inrerestingly the one with astygmatism..). For 1 it didnt help the first 6 months (she went down another .75) but after that she actually improved a whole number in both eyes. For the other, she was going down about a full number every 9-12months..since starting these 2 yrs ago shes gone down total .5.
Theres maybe a day adjustment where my kids complained it was annoying they had to keep moving their heads (as its blurry on the periphery). After that nothing.
Price wise here they cost about 2000shekel a pair, that probably doesnt help u but may help someone else.
Happy to answer any other ques

What was their rx before they started and how fat had they been going up?

It’s the lenses with the circles on it right?

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:29 am
My son has been taking atropine drops for over a year. His doctor suggested to try them first before moving on to the glasses (at least in Israel the drops are cheaper). After taking the drops for 6 months he still needed a new prescription but then we upped the dosage and 6 months later his eye sight stayed the same! I have friends who the drops didn't work for their kids and they got the glasses (the ones here are misight but they are probably similar)

zebra111  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:32 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
What was their rx before they started and how fat had they been going up?

It’s the lenses with the circles on it right?

Yes. They look totally regular though.
One kid was at -3.5 at age 7 and went down ridiculously quickly (I think about 1.5 in 5 months..). She then went down a bit more after the first pair. They have a guarantee that if u go down more than .75 within a yr they give u a new pair for free. I almost didnt continue with her but decided to give it another chance, and at her next check up her eyes had improved a whole number.
The other one was at -4.5 when we started, was going down about a full number a yr at that point. Shes had them now for 2 yrs and has in that whole time gone down .5. She started them older, around age 10.

amother
  NeonOrange  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:37 am
And then do they have to wear them forever? Or is it just a treatment and trains the eye and they can go back to regular afterwards?

My 7 year old went up 100 in 6 months. My 11 year old keeps going up (but at the last checkup these lenses didn’t exist in America lol). Now he’s at 350 a year ago 300, a year before that 150!

zebra111  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:38 am
U have to keep using them until around 17-18 when the eye stabilises I believe

amother
  NeonOrange  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:44 am
zebra111 wrote:
U have to keep using them until around 17-18 when the eye stabilises I believe

Thank you
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children