Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Double take mishpacha
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 12:42 am
This is the reason I don’t hire post hs/seminary girls for my business.

What do other think about the story?

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 12:45 am
Heavily on the employer's side, except at how she rushed the girl to feel ready to take the entire business on all by herself when the boss went in maternity leave. I couldn't help but wonder if Meirah would have been a tad more realistic, perhaps she wouldn't have had this happen to her.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 12:57 am
I couldn't choose sides with this one...

mha3484

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:00 am
I thought meira tried to cheap out hiring a 19 year old for a job better done by a mature woman who has work experience and could run an office herself. Pay a few more dollars and you will find someone far more stable and qualified. You get what you pay for.

I work for a 2 person business and would never recommend it to anyone else. Every sick day, every vacation day is such a giant pain. An ideal office would have the owner plus two employees.

LovesHashem  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:02 am
I think Russy coukd have been more honest about why she was leaving. It wasn't mainly about money, it was because she hated the work and was miserable.

singleagain

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:06 am
Please post the link?

tweety1

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:07 am
I actually thought Russy was right. Hadn't she consulted with daas Torah I would've felt differently. But she did, and she listened. She says she was going to do what daas Torah says regardless. Daas Torah carries alot of weight imo.

kerem

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:17 am
I did not agree with Russy until I read that she asked Daas Torah. To me, this changed everything, though I do think she could have been a little more forthcoming to her boss.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:25 am
I agree you get what you pay for. My husband runs a business and when he wants someone to do a good job he pays extremely well! And he pays on a lower end. He does not accept the same loyalty. But it’s usually not for the same kind of job that requires lots of years experience. Hard to imagine somebody out of seminary ready to run a job like this while her boss is on maternity leave.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 1:37 am
Meira had built up the business, and it was her baby. She was totally committed to it. Her problem was that she expected Russy to have the same level of commitment as she did.

Russy was a bit immature, but she acted professionally. She needed to get a job post-seminary, so she got a job, and was willing to do her best for it, but she had a loy of other things going on in her life, like college courses and shidduchim. She wasn't invested personally in any way that Meira had, perhaps unconsciously, expected.

farm

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 2:22 am
Meh a really silly one. It’s obvious boss has zero claim. What if girl worked for her and messed up with a customer? Or sent a non professional email? And continued to do so despite attempts and training and remediation? Would boss think twice before giving her 2 weeks notice and firing her? Girl and boss have the same degree of loyalty and menchlechkeit owed and expected to each other. Girl did everything right. She gave it her all until a better opportunity fell in her lap. Then she asked daas torah, gave an extra week’s notice, and offered to give extra time training someone new. Kol hakovod to her. What if girl got engaged and told boss she’s moving to Israel? Would boss be all upset? I mean, anyone is allowed to get upset but to think that girl did anything wrong is just not factual.

amother
Khaki  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 2:33 am
In what world does the employer even have claim? So confused why this is even a double take. I don't even see Meira's side here. Russy is an employee, not a slave or a partner. Meira will learn the hard way how valuable dedicated, well trained employee's are and she will learn not to heavily rely on just one.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 2:35 am
kerem wrote:
I did not agree with Russy until I read that she asked Daas Torah. To me, this changed everything, though I do think she could have been a little more forthcoming to her boss.

I thought it was interesting they mentioned daas Torah. That's a first for the column no?

amother
Charcoal  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 2:45 am
Really Russy shouldn't have accepted the job in the first place. Or at least been upfront that it wasn't the line of work she was really interested in.
And yeah realistically for Meira, hiring a girl straight out of sem wasn't the best move. I've worked in HR before and the young girls need so much more support and are also liable to get engaged and then leave. She would have been better off hiring someone more mature and with experience.

penguin

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 2:51 am
Definitely should have hired s/o some w work experience, & probably some familiarity w software!

GLUE

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 2:56 am
After the economy in the US melted down in 2007, I was reading something, someone wrote about millennium work ethnic.
He was saying how Co. are firing people that have been in the Co. or working in the industry for 20 or more year and hiring young kids right out of collage to save money. They are expecting the same type of work from the younger generation, many times without proper training. When the young adults fail or quit because they can't handle the work, it's never the Bosses fault it's always the workers fault because millennium's have no work ethnic.

I did not read this double take this is what I am getting from reading the comments, did I get it right?

notshanarishona  

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 3:51 am
amother OP wrote:
This is the reason I don’t hire post hs/seminary girls for my business.

What do other think about the story?

Can you scan it for those of us who didn’t read it?

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 4:07 am
I think Russy was not right leaving on Meira when the main reason she was hired was to take over for maternity leave
She should have at least been open about the fact that she doesn't like the job and would leave if a better opportunity comes up so Meira shouldn't waste her third trimester training for nothing.
To Meira it looked like Russy liked the job and she was pretty clear with her for when she'll need her most
And it doesn't sound like she was fully open with daas Torah the psak was for any job that you want to quit she didn't mention at all the fact that her boss is due soon

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 6:43 am
didn't read it
gotta say
it is a job
it is work
she's not a partner, no incentive to work as if an owner
it is not a marriage
reality check

sorry for pp owner however hers is not a realistic expectation

watergirl

Post Sun, Sep 22 2024, 6:49 am
notshanarishona wrote:
Can you scan it for those of us who didn’t read it?

singleagain wrote:
Please post the link?

The stories are available in the website for the magazine.

Last edited by watergirl on Sun, Sep 22 2024, 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room