Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to prepare ds - first boy to have a bar mitzvah

amother
OP  

Post Today at 2:45 pm
In his whole grade. Many parallel classes, large school. He will be the very first boy.
He started school a year late so he’s almost a year older than his classmates.
It hasn’t been much of an issue before. He adjusted to his class well, made friends, keeps up with school work.
Even though he knows he’s the oldest, he’s having a hard time being the first boy to have a bar mitzvah.
He does not want the attention. He doesn’t want to look different.
It’s strange for him to be a bar mitzvah boy at the end of 6th grade when some of the seventh and eighth graders didn’t even have their bar mitzvah yet.
While we still have a few months it’s something I want to know how to deal with.

mha3484  

Post Today at 3:08 pm
I got an email about this recently. I don't know if it will help you but its not easy. https://bigtalks.org/bar-mitzvah/

My son was the third in his class and it was a big adjustment.

Sorry I read again end of 6th grade isnt too bad. My son had two classmates with august birthdays right before 7th grade. Is that what your referring to? Or is it smack in the middle of 6th grade?

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 3:20 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I got an email about this recently. I don't know if it will help you but its not easy. https://bigtalks.org/bar-mitzvah/

My son was the third in his class and it was a big adjustment.

Sorry I read again end of 6th grade isnt too bad. My son had two classmates with august birthdays right before 7th grade. Is that what you’re referring to? Or is it smack in the middle of 6th grade?

Thank you
What kind of organization is this? Are there therapists that meet with the boys?
Where is this located?

Which grade/month was your son?
What was the hardest adjustment for him?

My son’s birthday is at the very end of 6th grade. Usually the last week of school. No one else in his class will have a bar mitzvah until the middle of seventh although I was told that in other classes there will be boys turning 13 in the beginning of seventh.

mha3484

Post Today at 3:28 pm
My son is a December birthday. He had two classmates the week 7th grade started and then a few months then his. Then a slow trickle through out the year. Most of his class was spring/summer birthdays. I think for him he had to be serious about certain things that wasn't on everyone's radar. The clothing was a big change. Making sure to stop what he was doing for maariv, feeling more obligated overall was just a shift.

up high

Post Today at 5:24 pm
My son was also the first, and only one, wayyyy ahead of his classmates. His classmates are 11, turning 12. He was bar Mitzvah 1/2 year ago and is bh doing very well.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 6:23 pm
up high wrote:
My son was also the first, and only one, wayyyy ahead of his classmates. His classmates are 11, turning 12. He was bar Mitzvah 1/2 year ago and is bh doing very well.

Was he in 6th grade?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics