Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tefillin - Bar mitzvah

justforfun87

Post Today at 12:16 pm
Yes, I just woke up. A bit sticker shock there. I am a big believer in buying what you can afford but is there a certain thing about "upgrading" for a mitzvah or just buy him the most basic?

amother
Amber

Post Today at 12:30 pm
Everyone buys what they can afford. I happen to have got him a little bit of a more upgraded pair. My sofer had three levels. I was going for the middle level one. Although I know plenty of people who bought the lower level. At the end of the day, I felt that if I can afford to upgrade it for him as hopefully this will be his pair for life I would. It was only $300 more for his highest level so I did that

amother
Hunter

Post Today at 12:32 pm
If there anything that you should spend more for then do it for his teffilin . It is something that he will wear every single weekday for the rest of his life. Cut down on everything else for his bar mitzvah and do it the most basic (even if you can afford more) but not teffilin!

Ruchel

Post Today at 12:37 pm
He'll wear it everyday bh. My fil zal helped a distant cousin get one, that's how important it is. But I don't think you have to buy platinum ones either. I'd go for the good ones. Also it depends on what you spend on the rest. If you are already not having a party et vs spending a lot on the rest.

amother
Peony

Post Today at 12:50 pm
How soon is the bar mitzvah? I reached out to the sofer about 6 months in advance so I could pay in installments rather than at once. I felt more comfortable this way and was able to buy a mid range pair.

amother
Daffodil

Post Today at 1:25 pm
We are simply people. Live mostly below our means. We buy mehudar tefillin. It is a mitza that iyh our children will have with them and use daily for the rest of their lives. They will stand proud knowing they have the best most mehudar tefillin.
--there is a difference when buying tefillin between paying market retail with Mark up verse as money going straight to the sofer for price of the quality of the yiras shamayim, klaff, batim, beautiful ksav etc

amother
Lavender

Post Today at 3:07 pm
I have a relative that is a sofer. They told me that some people look to save a buck and buy cheap tefillin from elsewhere. Then they come to him to check a few months later because somethings looks off. And he finds major issues and it ends up costing more. Or bidieved kosher. This is one mitzvah you should not skimp. You don't need to buy top of the line, but make sure the sofer is a yareh shamayim.

amother
Mayflower

Post Today at 3:14 pm
I really stretched myself to buy mehudar for my first few boys and regret it. One of them lost his first pair a few months after he started wearing them. I replaced them with tefilin half the price ($1k instead of $2k) and will likely only spend the lower amount for the rest of my boys.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Today at 3:32 pm
Off topic but everyone should buy an apple AirTag to put in tefillin bag. A friend of mine was able to recover her sons lost tefillin upstate an hour away from where they were.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics