Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Different cuts of meat

happymommy6  

Post Yesterday at 5:27 pm
Hi! I have a bunch of different cuts of meat. Would love to know how to cook each of them. Different websites contradict each other. One says chuck roast definitely should be long and slow. The other says dry heat.
Asking for french, chuck, shoulder and minute roasts. Recipes a bonus:)
Looking for simple delicious recipes. Thanks!
Most of mine are sweet and sour, ketchup, brown sugar, lemon juice etc. Looking for a change!
Thanks!

oohlala

Post Yesterday at 5:29 pm
I’d love some good simple recipes too. I stare at all the meats in the store and never buy them bec I have no idea how to cook them and I hate recipes with tons of sugar and sweet sauces.

Amarante  

Post Yesterday at 5:52 pm
Chuck and shoulder roasts need to be braised as they are tough and so require long slow cooking to break down the tough muscle and melt the collagen. In other words, a braise or a stew.

Think of the anatomy of a cow. The front part of the cow like the shoulder does a lot of work and so the meat is tough. Here is a good chart and explanation

https://canadabeef.ca/cooking-methods/

Has

happymommy6

Post Yesterday at 6:50 pm
Thanks!
But some cuts you can marinade and then roast. Think London broil

Amarante

Post Yesterday at 6:59 pm
happymommy6 wrote:
Thanks!
But some cuts you can marinade and then roast. Think London broil

Typically you don’t roast London Broil.

You marinate it but cook it quickly so it is still rare or at most medium rare and then slice it against the grain which effectively tenderizes tougher cuts of meat by cutting most of the tougher connective tissue.

mom2mysouls

Post Yesterday at 8:18 pm
Amarante wrote:
Typically you don’t roast London Broil.

You marinate it but cook it quickly so it is still rare or at most medium rare and then slice it against the grain which effectively tenderizes tougher cuts of meat by cutting most of the tougher connective tissue.

This way always comes out tough for me. I rather bake it for long on lower temp and it gets soft.

nicole81

Post Yesterday at 8:27 pm
Shoulder roast makes a great classic roast beef. Basically a dry cook with some basting on high heat until the center is rare. Slice thinly. Doesn't reheat well though unless you're careful to get it to *just* warm.

Chuck roast I think tastes garbagey unless it's cooked sous vide.

French roast, which is a made up name, is hopefully the underblade cut. It does well at 350 for an hour per pound. Sliced and reheats beautifully.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics