Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Upsetting situation

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Sep 19 2024, 9:36 am
Last year I worked in a school as a morah, teaching 1-2 periods a day and also doing bookkeeping for the school. When I signed my contract for this year, the job description said morah and bookkeeper so I assumed that this set-up would continue. I found out at our "back to school meetings" that I was no longer assigned to teach any class periods and am doing bookkeeping only. While I am good at bookkeeping, I really valued being a morah and would have looked for employment elsewhere had I known about this change. Although I am no longer considered a teacher, I'm still expected to be part of the teacher rotation for lunch and recess duties. I am upset and feel so disrespected by the school. I already spoke to the principal and she doesn't see the change in my role as any problem. Am I wrong?
(Some details changed to protect my anonymity.)

EBY

Post Thu, Sep 19 2024, 10:13 am
It sounds like your point is totally valid, especially since it was written in the contract. I've never heard of someone not on teaching staff having to do lunch and recess duty!

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Sep 19 2024, 10:22 am
They sound disorganized and disrespectful… you can always threaten to leave on the basis of them not giving you what your contract says.

Schools are desperate for morahs. So irritating how schools treat staff like this

amother
Waterlily

Post Thu, Sep 19 2024, 10:45 am
Uh sorry that is beyond insane, and definitely you should not be doing lunch/recess or bus duty or whatever other duties are normally assigned to Morahs if you don’t get to teach any kids. If you’re ok with staying as a bookkeeper then put your foot down about that or just quit on them as soon as you find a Morah job, no notice necessary as you did not get the job specified in your contract.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Sep 19 2024, 10:51 am
What d you mean, the principle sees no problem in the change of your job?
First of all, she should be honoring the contract you signed. If they can break their word, you have every right to break the contract and leave.
Second of all, if you're no longer a morah the school has no right to ask of you to do lunch and recess. Are they asking others who work in the office to be part of the rotation? Why are you different?

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 19 2024, 12:37 pm
Thank you for the validation everyone!

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Thu, Sep 19 2024, 1:51 pm
If a teacher goes on maternity leave, would they consider you as a replacement?

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Sep 19 2024, 2:38 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
If a teacher goes on maternity leave, would they consider you as a replacement?

I've been asked to substitute when a teacher was out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics