Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Honey + Rosh Hashana + BLW

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 3:51 pm
First Rosh Hashana with a baby BH and wondering what to do about all the food having honey.

What do ppl normally do? Make seperate items for baby? For reference, my baby is almost 1, so is it even an issue?

I don't want to make 2 seperate types of chicken, etc.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Yesterday at 3:52 pm
Easy answer is use silan, that's the original honey in the gemara anyways

Also, almost 1 is fine to have honey. Nothing magically changes the day of the birthday. Also it was a leap year last year Wink

Busybee5

Post Yesterday at 4:02 pm
Yes you need to make separate food or don't put honey on all your food this year. It's not halacha! It's very important not to give honey to your baby although they say baked/cooked is ok. I personally wouldn't risk it still.

LovesHashem

Post Yesterday at 4:13 pm
Baked/cooked honey is fine. It's raw honey that's an issue.

Brit in Israel

Post Yesterday at 4:15 pm
just raw honey is a danger,
honey cookies, honey glazed roast veg etc are ok

imaima

Post Yesterday at 4:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
First Rosh Hashana with a baby BH and wondering what to do about all the food having honey.

What do ppl normally do? Make seperate items for baby? For reference, my baby is almost 1, so is it even an issue?

It’s not halacha to put honey into everything.
You can also preselect the food that you offer the baby. I don’t think one rosh ha shana can ruin blw.

amother
Acacia

Post Yesterday at 4:42 pm
Cooked honey is totally fine.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Yesterday at 4:51 pm
Yes I make sure to have food without honey
Chicken soup is fine

I don’t put honey in everything anyway

theoneandonly

Post Yesterday at 4:57 pm
https://www.webmd.com/baby/whe.....honey
Cooked honey is also unsafe for babies

amother
Jasmine

Post Yesterday at 5:01 pm
Cooked and raw honey is not recommended for babies under 1 year

cookier  

Post Yesterday at 5:11 pm
Cooking temps don’t get hot enough to kill botulinum spores, so it’s not quite as simple as “cooked doesn’t count.”

However, looking at the numbers, your baby’s risk would be very low at almost 1, especially if they’re eating mostly table food. There are only 100 or so cases in the US each year, and roughly 98% of those are in babies under 6 months. About half of cases are in California and Pennsylvania depending on the year. New York and New Jersey only report 4-6 cases most years. And on top of that, depending on the year honey or corn syrup is the cause of ~20% of cases.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about it.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 6:51 am
cookier wrote:
Cooking temps don’t get hot enough to kill botulinum spores, so it’s not quite as simple as “cooked doesn’t count.”

However, looking at the numbers, your baby’s risk would be very low at almost 1, especially if they’re eating mostly table food. There are only 100 or so cases in the US each year, and roughly 98% of those are in babies under 6 months. About half of cases are in California and Pennsylvania depending on the year. New York and New Jersey only report 4-6 cases most years. And on top of that, depending on the year honey or corn syrup is the cause of ~20% of cases.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about it.

This is what I'm wondering. That it's close enough to 1 but not quite there yet.

new oldie

Post Today at 7:02 am
Maybe ask your pediatrician? It’s probably a quick call, and I’m sure whoever answers the phone has gotten the question and might even know the answer.

amother
Babypink

Post Today at 7:25 am
I used to use silan and other RH ingredients. Honey only for dipping challah and in honey cake, so I just wouldn't give those to baby.

may I merit to worry about honey again one day

amother
Honey

Post Today at 7:38 am
There is nothing wrong with cooked honey
I don't put honey in absolutely every dish I make
Some baby's will be 12months old already by rosh hashana even if they where born after succos
Very close to be day is fine
My baby will eat all good and backed good including honey cookies . Only item won't be served is challa with honey and DC will already be 12 months old even though bday didn't pass.
Post birthday I still would be careful serving baby challa on honey , same as peanut butter need to be careful for choking hazard since so sticky need put only very light smear

amother
Phlox

Post Today at 7:40 am
amother Honey wrote:
Some baby's will be 12months old already by rosh hashana even if they where born after succos
My baby will eat all good and backed good including honey cookies . Only item won't be served is challa with honey and DC will already be 12 months old even though bday didn't pass.
Post birthday I still would be careful serving baby challa on honey , same as peanut butter need to be careful for choking hazard since so sticky need put only very light smear

That's not true about cooked honey. It's still not safe.

coffee icecream

Post Today at 7:49 am
Idk I wouldn't..
My baby would be a yr after rosh Hashanah but as per pediatrician she recommended not. Yes it's rare and I don't know when it officially changes meaning the minute he turns 12 months so only then he's good. Could be fine maybe few days before but she recommended waiting till hes 12 months as she's seen kids affected by it that were so sick , it's not worth it. Go ahead if you want to take a chance but I decided to just wait the few days.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Today at 8:41 am
amother OP wrote:

Almost one year old is practically 12 months and making separate items for baby is kind over the top. Start trusting yourself and your mama bear instincts.

missmuffetsmum

Post Today at 8:57 am
amother Honey wrote:

You're amother colour Laugh

cookier

Post Today at 1:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
This is what I'm wondering. That it's close enough to 1 but not quite there yet.

There’s no magic switch that flips when they’re 12 months, in fact one yearly survey showed a 63 week (almost 15 months) old toddler diagnosed with infant botulism. It’s more about the acidity in their digestive tract. When babies start eating solid foods they have to produce more acid than when just consuming milk, so if your baby is predominantly eating adult foods without trouble, their digestive tract is probably the same as a 1 year old.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics