Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Degree in OT

amother
OP  

Post Yesterday at 7:00 am
Any OT’s here that can give me some info on this? Considering going to school, how long/hard is schooling, how is the pay, do you have flexibility?
Tia

amother
Jean

Post Yesterday at 7:02 am
My baby’s OT just told me that apparently there’s a new rule that new OT’s who will be graduating in 2027 and later will have to get a doctorate, a masters is no longer sufficient.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Yesterday at 7:52 am
PTs have been getting clinical doctorates since the early 2000's

amother
Lemonlime  

Post Yesterday at 7:56 am
As an ot for many years I wouldn't recommend this field. Schooling is extremely difficult and time consuming. The pay hasn't gone up with inflation and your salary is usually capped at a modest rate. You don't have a huge earning potential. If you work for an agency you will have flexible hours but you won't make a lot of money or have any benefits. If I was choosing a career today it wouldn't be OT.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 8:04 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
As an ot for many years I wouldn't recommend this field. Schooling is extremely difficult and time consuming. The pay hasn't gone up with inflation and your salary is usually capped at a modest rate. You don't have a huge earning potential. If you work for an agency you will have flexible hours but you won't make a lot of money or have any benefits. If I was choosing a career today it wouldn't be OT.

Thanks for your response
What would you choose if you were doing it over?

amother
  Lemonlime  

Post Yesterday at 8:12 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for your response
What would you choose if you were doing it over?

I have many interests and don't know for sure but probably something in the tech field, or something creative like graphic art/photography etc... I would stay away from the health related industry even though when I chose my career that was the most solid field to go into.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 9:05 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
I have many interests and don't know for sure but probably something in the tech field, or something creative like graphic art/photography etc... I would stay away from the health related industry even though when I chose my career that was the most solid field to go into.

I hear, thanks
Do you feel the same way regarding other career paths as well, that it’s better not to go for a degree, or specifically these industries?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Yesterday at 9:19 am
Not worth it unless you really love the field and are super passionate about it and can't see yourself doing anything else
School is long and hard and you will spend hours and days away from your family in class, studying for tests, writing papers, and doing clinical work and internships

You will take out close to 100k in student loans

If you work in a hospital or medical.setting you are better off than in a school. But even that is not great earning potential

amother
PlumPink

Post Yesterday at 10:15 am
I feel similar to lemon lime, though I absolutely love the work. The pay was ok when it went into the field a couple of decades ago, but rates have not gone up enough to survive COL increases, so it's a bust financially.

amother
Purple

Post Yesterday at 10:33 am
If it is something that you are really interested in and loves then I say go for it. School is long, hard, and expensive. Earning potential is not terrible but not great either. What is nice is that depending on the setting, you can make your own hours or have a lot of flexibility. I would say observe some OTs in various settings (you need observation hours anyway to apply to programs) and see if it is something you are super passionate about. If not then I would recommend finding something else with better earning potential and less time/money/energy investment. I graduated a couple of years ago and not making a great income, but enough to live on for now combined with husband’s income (husband was in Kollel and just took a part time job after we had our second).

amother
Dill  

Post Yesterday at 10:49 am
I love love love being an OT. So do all my OT friends.

amother
Copper

Post Yesterday at 11:03 am
amother Dill wrote:

I wish I had your enthusiasm! What setting do you and your friends work in?

amother
  Lemonlime

Post Yesterday at 11:11 am
amother Dill wrote:

And me and all my OT friends regret our choice. Where do you work? Are you working flexible hours in a school setting and your dh brings in the main income?

amother
  Dill

Post Yesterday at 11:37 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
And me and all my OT friends regret our choice. Where do you work? Are you working flexible hours in a school setting and your dh brings in the main income?

I have worked in pediatric clinics, SNF and do home health now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics