Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
ASD

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 12:27 pm
Besides ABA, which therapies have you given your preteen high functioning kids that you felt was successful? My son is in need of so much therapy and I've tried so many different routes but we are at a loss as to what else we can give him. Any ideas or insights would be appreciated!

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 9:46 pm
Bump

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 9:53 pm
OT and speech is helpful.

amother
Khaki  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 10:00 pm
I would look a little out of the box and more body-based. Craniosacral therapy, reflex integration, myofunctional therapy, equine therapy, safe and sound protocol, brain balance, vision therapy.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 10:08 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
I would look a little out of the box and more body-based. Craniosacral therapy, reflex integration, myofunctional therapy, equine therapy, safe and sound protocol, brain balance, vision therapy.

Can you elaborate on what kind of therapies these are? From your list the only ones I've heard of are reflex integration and vision therapy.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 10:09 pm
Has anyone seen results with a social worker? Obviously I know every child is different I'm just trying to get insight and ideas here.

amother
  Khaki

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 10:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Can you elaborate on what kind of therapies these are? From your list the only ones I've heard of are reflex integration and vision therapy.
Equine therapy=horse therapy

Myofunctional: focuses on proper breathing and tongue placement, which can have a very regulating effect on the nervous system

Craniosacral therapy: therapy involving light touch to the cranium and sacram, works on cerebrospinal fluid and fascia and can have overall healing effects

Safe and sound protocol helps move the nervous system out of fight-flight-freeze and into rest-digest-socialize.

amother
Darkblue

Post Yesterday at 11:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Has anyone seen results with a social worker? Obviously I know every child is different I'm just trying to get insight and ideas here.

The social work approach is more language based and abstract. Even when it was just social work play-based, it didn’t seem to really generalize outside of the therapy sessions. To my son, he just went there, played a game, and that’s it. He didn’t get more than that out of it 🥴🤦🏻‍♀️

As for myofunctional therapy, you have to be on top of doing the daily carryover if you actually want it to help. Most importantly, your son has to be receptive and cooperative with it too. Unlike mine who glared at us and announced “I’M GONNA CHEW AND EAT HOW I WANT!!!!” It really brought out his ODD 😆🥴

amother
Sienna

Post Today at 12:33 am
My son is treated by a social worker and it's the best therapy he's ever had. I think it depends on the person and the approach rather than the qualification.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 6:06 am
amother Sienna wrote:
My son is treated by a social worker and it's the best therapy he's ever had. I think it depends on the person and the approach rather than the qualification.

Are you located in Lakewood area?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries