Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Fiddler on the roof
Previous  1  2

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 6:26 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
It's a movie about abandoning yiddishkeit and making fun of Torah. With singing and dancing. I don't think it's worth wasting time on.

I don’t see it that way. It’s about our sad history in Europe and how important tradition is to us.

Molly Weasley  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 6:45 pm
For what it's worth, I think there's also a changing scene

cnc

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 6:55 pm
Molly Weasley wrote:
For what it's worth, I think there's also a changing scene

Only in the "newer version " movie.
The original does not have that scene.

chestnut  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 6:59 pm
amother Oak wrote:
Is it a jewish story?

It's about a shtetl life in Ukraine. It's a classic.

Last edited by chestnut on Tue, Sep 17 2024, 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

chestnut  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 7:00 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
It's a movie about abandoning yiddishkeit and making fun of Torah. With singing and dancing. I don't think it's worth wasting time on.

Did you watch it? If so, you absolutely missed its points.

chestnut  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 7:02 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
Most of it is appropriate.
There are women singing.
There's at least one scene of kissing, but it's like a second.
It takes you to the inside of a church for one scene.

There's a scene that disturbed me as a kid, where at the wedding of Tzeitel and Mottel, everyone starts to fight, and Perchik quiets everyone and proposes to dance publicly with Hodel. People say its forbidden. He says, its not forbidden. Then he says, "go on, ask the rabbi!".
The rabbi says , "well, its not exactly forbidden, but.."
That's enough for Perchik and Hodel and they immediately start dancing together.
First, everyone is upset, but then, one by one, all the men demand to dance with their wives, and even the rabbi is seen happily dancing with a girl.

It's not a frum story

amother
  Catmint

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 9:28 pm
chestnut wrote:
It's not a frum story

Of course not.
But as a kid, (and as an adult as well) it disturbed me to see the rabbi depicted as a wishy washy guy who would dance with women.

amother
  Tealblue

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 9:37 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
Of course not.
But as a kid, (and as an adult as well) it disturbed me to see the rabbi depicted as a wishy washy guy who would dance with women.

Agreed. My great great grandparents left Russia to America during that Era so was interesting for me to see a story played out during that time but its clearly anti frum

chestnut

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 9:46 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
Agreed. My great great grandparents left Russia to America during that Era so was interesting for me to see a story played out during that time but its clearly anti frum

It's not anti frum

B'Syata D'Shmya  

Post Wed, Sep 18 2024, 1:23 am
amother Catmint wrote:
Most of it is appropriate.
There are women singing.
There's at least one scene of kissing, but it's like a second.
It takes you to the inside of a church for one scene.

There's a scene that disturbed me as a kid, where at the wedding of Tzeitel and Mottel, everyone starts to fight, and Perchik quiets everyone and proposes to dance publicly with Hodel. People say its forbidden. He says, its not forbidden. Then he says, "go on, ask the rabbi!".
The rabbi says , "well, its not exactly forbidden, but.."
That's enough for Perchik and Hodel and they immediately start dancing together.
First, everyone is upset, but then, one by one, all the men demand to dance with their wives, and even the rabbi is seen happily dancing with a girl.

That scene was perfect for me to see what a slippery slope is.
From not exactly forbidden to mixed dancing....

Molly Weasley

Post Wed, Sep 18 2024, 1:42 am
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
That scene was perfect for me to see what a slippery slope is.
From not exactly forbidden to mixed dancing....

Good point

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Sep 18 2024, 2:11 am
My parents always spoke about what a lovely movie it was, and I watched it as a preteen and teen several times. But when I watched it as a young adult the first time it hit me how horrible it was, showing how as the time went on, in their very limited Jewish education, they just didn't know right from wrong. Each line that was crossed was justified, until the last line of marrying a non Jew - and only because of tradition.

Also, it really portrayed the Rabbi and the more religious/educated Jews in a negative light.

I never had any desire to watch it again since. Though I do think plenty of the songs are brilliant - If I were a rich man, and the sentimentality of Sunrise, Sunset.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Sep 18 2024, 2:17 am
When watching it you have to remember it's NOT a Jewish movie.
It wasn't written or directed by a Jew....

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 18 2024, 2:27 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:
When watching it you have to remember it's NOT a Jewish movie.
It wasn't written or directed by a Jew....

Joseph Stein (the writer) was Jewish.

amother
NeonPurple  

Post Wed, Sep 18 2024, 2:47 am
Its a classic piece of art.
Its very much not a hashkafa class in sem (Although there is what to be learnt from it)
If you are looking for a Jewish movie with a BY theme, this is not it.
If you want to watch a brilliant sociological historical musical with shades of white grey and black go for it.

amother
  NeonPurple

Post Wed, Sep 18 2024, 2:55 am
FWIW, one of my biggest takeaways from this movie is how tradition is NOT enough. Shabbos cannot be wonderful only because of the traditional food we eat. Our connection to community and hashem cannot just be external and based on clothing. Our children(and ourselves) need more then just 'this is how its done'. Our rabbi cannot be the ONLY connector to spirituality. We musn't have a 'he said so' attitude. Our girls cannot stay with just the fluff and stuff when in comes to yidishkeit. We all need heart and depth and the ability to question and discover. Otherwise we will end up like tevia in the 2024 version.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Wed, Sep 18 2024, 3:02 am
amother Snapdragon wrote:
My parents always spoke about what a lovely movie it was, and I watched it as a preteen and teen several times. But when I watched it as a young adult the first time it hit me how horrible it was, showing how as the time went on, in their very limited Jewish education, they just didn't know right from wrong. Each line that was crossed was justified, until the last line of marrying a non Jew - and only because of tradition.

Also, it really portrayed the Rabbi and the more religious/educated Jews in a negative light.

I never had any desire to watch it again since. Though I do think plenty of the songs are brilliant - If I were a rich man, and the sentimentality of Sunrise, Sunset.

From some you learn what not to do, Use the movie to realize the dangers of assimilation.

We so much want to be like the nonJews, and be liked by them but its a dangerous dance (the opening dance horrified me).

I did like the first daughters marriage to a man with whom she could build a bayis neeman beYisroel instead of a rich older man buying his wife...and the song "Miracle of Miracles"

I also like the respect and reverence Tevye showed his wife. That was not common in those days among the non Jews.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics