Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Genuinely curious how people do it

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 7:43 pm
I live on a block with a lot of people in chinuch and not any professionals. I find that a majority of these families have 1-2 parents in chinchh and 5-8 kids. I really want to know how they actually pay their bills. Their kids are dressed nicer than mine. Is it Medicaid? WIC? Tuition breaks?

amother
Cerise  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 7:49 pm
What answer will make you feel better? Gemachs? Help from families? Medicaid, wic, maybe community assistance? Credit card debt?

It's not really helpful to look at other people's finances. Everyone had a different situation.

amother
Foxglove  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 7:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
I live on a block with a lot of people in chinuch and not any professionals. I find that a majority of these families have 1-2 parents in chinchh and 5-8 kids. I really want to know how they actually pay their bills. Their kids are dressed nicer than mine. Is it Medicaid? WIC? Tuition breaks?

Medicaid, wic, food stamps, tuition breaks, clothing and shoe vouchers before yom tov, chasdei lev, clothing/sheitel discounts for chinuch families, food distributions

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 8:09 pm
Exactly what foxglove said. Name a program, they're on it. They probably also aren't legally married so they get more money. I live on a block like this also. I work super hard and it's so hard to see.
Most of my block is also part of a certain yeshiva that is known to give lots of bonuses/gift certificates

amother
  Foxglove

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 8:17 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Exactly what foxglove said. Name a program, they're on it. They probably also aren't legally married so they get more money. I live on a block like this also. I work super hard and it's so hard to see.
Most of my block is also part of a certain yeshiva that is known to give lots of bonuses/gift certificates

Right I forgot to add in NY for sure there are other programs they are on...like money for utility bills, cell phones, internet, babysitting/playgrpup vouchers etc...

I have no problem with yeshiva guys figuring out how to make the system work for them. I do have a problem when they buy huge expensive houses and have extremely large mortgages and then say they can't pay tuition. If you can't afford tuition how can you afford to have a huge house. I think it's part of the reason why tuition makes so many people resentful...for example I work full time and have no cleaning help or anything and am not given tuition breaks, while the next guy might be spending recklessly but because he is in kollel he qualifies for big breaks, which I am probably subsidizing.

amother
  Cerise

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 8:28 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:

Not being married doesn't entitle you to more money. I don't know why everyone here thinks this. They ask for everyone living in the house, married or not. There's no unmarried parent sign on bonus.

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 9:07 pm
You never know how someone else is making it, or not.
Unfortunately, many people carry large amounts of debt. Someone I know (husband in kollel, wife a morah) told my husband he has 150k in credit card debt.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 9:11 pm
Hi! Chinuch family here. While we only have 3 kids we personally have wic, medicaid, get discounted food for YT, and get family gifts for new clothes several times a year. We also pay less taxes/can claim less income because of parsonage.

Eta we also get money for food every couple of months from our community.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 9:12 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
What answer will make you feel better? Gemachs? Help from families? Medicaid, wic, maybe community assistance? Credit card debt?

It's not really helpful to look at other people's finances. Everyone had a different situation.

This 💯. Don't be genuinely curious or genuinely annoyed about other people's finances. It leads nowhere good. There is no secret or one size fits all answer
Everyone has their own story.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 9:19 pm
How is this a productive line of questioning?

How does it help you to know how they pay their bills?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics