Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I need ideas or support for this dumb problem
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 2:34 pm
The reason why I like carbs is because it's bland. I don't like the sensory overload of dynamic flavors. There is something very calming to me about sitting and eating plain boring carbs.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 3:30 pm
So eat quinoa. Or rice cakes.

lalaland1

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 3:36 pm
Maybe chia seed pudding?

amother
  Yolk

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 3:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
The reason why I like carbs is because it's bland. I don't like the sensory overload of dynamic flavors. There is something very calming to me about sitting and eating plain boring carbs.
Highly doubt this is the reason. Cucumbers are very boring and bland but I never heard of anyone binging on them.

Cereal is bingeable because it's ultra-processed to hit all the just-right notes. It's designed to be a highly palatable food.

chocolate moose  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 4:01 pm
my nuritionist calls cereal "candy". it's really just sweet carbs. it;s not a good breakfast for anyone to eat. you would be better off - and so would your family - with something else. yogurt with seeds and nuts, avocado toast, scrambled eggs in a wrap.

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 4:07 pm
Maybe try buying individual cereal one portion size therefor u can feel like u are finishing it all , I do much better with a small bag of pretzels then opening up a huge bag and taking out a portion I feel good that I finished my bag

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 4:17 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Highly doubt this is the reason. Cucumbers are very boring and bland but I never heard of anyone binging on them.

Cereal is bingeable because it's ultra-processed to hit all the just-right notes. It's designed to be a highly palatable food.

I like dry, plain foods. You don't have to believe me. I don't binge on ice cream or chocolate or cookies or Chinese food. I binge on plain pretzels, crackers, Cheerios, unsalted corn cakes. It feels calming to me.
If I was truly bingeing because its high processed than my binge list would look very different.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 4:20 pm
I know cereal is unhealthy, I enjoy many healthy foods. What I need help with is not going to the cereal in the first place. Not opening the pantry. When I feel the urge to have cereal, instead I should....?
I'm looking for a behavior change not a food exchange.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 4:53 pm
I could have written this. I especially love sugared cereal with milk. I love how the milk turns sweet. I feel so satisfied when I eat a few bowls of cereal and milk. Of course I’ve gained so much weight from doing that.
Only thing that has helped me is to just tell myself- “I don’t eat cereal “. I’ve tried to limit it and say/ just one bowl, but it doesn’t work.
Instead I buy a health cereal called- puffed Kamut. It’s basically puffed air 😊 and it’s tasteless. I add a packet of Splenda, sometimes a drop of honey and instead of milk I use almond milk. I don’t go overboard with that because it’s simply not as addictive.
Maybe that will work for you? That and a sliced apple for crunch is what I use as a replacement.

Another idea- don’t eat anything after your supper. If you finish supper at 6 or 7 then no more food until the next morning. Just water. I find that lots of bowls of cereal have been eaten in the evening.

Good luck

amother
Bubblegum

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 5:10 pm
I’m just saying…. I hear you!! Cereal is my favorite food. I can literally eat a full box every morning. Sadly , I’ve completely cut it from my diet. Only way for me to lose weight and stay healthy. Hatzlachah !!!

As far as my breakfast, I prepare a yogurt bowl for myself with fruit , yogurt and granola.

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 5:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
I know cereal is unhealthy, I enjoy many healthy foods. What I need help with is not going to the cereal in the first place. Not opening the pantry. When I feel the urge to have cereal, instead I should....?

Can you buy cereal you don't like for the family?
like if you find trix gross, then buy trix...there are probably cereals you don't like...
then maybe buy the one you really love for once a week and really enjoy it in a mindful way...(and measure it out...like 4 cups of cereal with as much rice milk as you want...something like that...)
I have this with cholent...I make a heaven overnight cholent that I serve all Friday...I can eat bowl after bowl...a whole week I can be so portioned but then boom...so now I allow myself 4 cups of cholent every friday (yes I measure) plus overnight potato kugel and I am extra careful a whole week....

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 5:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
You need to stay away from food. Stay away from the kitchen. Go for a walk outside? Call someone on the phone? Something calming. You're looking to relax, not to eat, the eating is just the mechanism you're using to try to relax.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 5:51 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
You need to stay away from food. Stay away from the kitchen. Go for a walk outside? Call someone on the phone? Something calming. You're looking to relax, not to eat, the eating is just the mechanism you're using to try to relax.

Yes there is a relaxing component but when I'm hungry and stressed/tired/overwhelmed, that's when the cereal stuff pops up. Kills 2 birds with one stone. I don't eat cereal every day and I don't eat cereal to destress. It's the combination.
I think I just need to cut it out completely.

I like all non sugary cereals. It would be a shame to get rid of those and feed my children only sweet cereals. I do buy ice cream that I don't like and chips that I don't like.

amother
Charcoal  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 7:27 pm
amother OP wrote:

Practice disrupting the cycle and changing the behavior no matter how silly it seams. Walk up to the cabinet take the box put it on the table and put it away. Do this twice a day no matter what. See how that changes your mindset.

amother
  Lily

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 7:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

But regular cereal isn't unhealthy. It's just the quantity which is.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 7:38 pm
I can’t stop the binge eating habit as hard as I try, but what I have managed to do is to change what I binge eat. So I’ll do nuts or a bag of carrots ect. So basically I have completely cut out cereal. I know lots of ppl say do t restrict ect. But this works for me. And another thing is when you realise that these foods are made to be addictive then you realise why you can’t even have one serving. No one tells an alcoholic to drink in moderation. So why do we tell sugar/ carb addicts to eat it in moderation.

Good luck it’s a constant struggle.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 8:00 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
Practice disrupting the cycle and changing the behavior no matter how silly it seams. Walk up to the cabinet take the box put it on the table and put it away. Do this twice a day no matter what. See how that changes your mindset.

Just stam or when I'm going to the kitchen to eat?
I can try this for sure.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 8:02 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
I can’t stop the binge eating habit as hard as I try, but what I have managed to do is to change what I binge eat. So I’ll do nuts or a bag of carrots ect. So basically I have completely cut out cereal. I know lots of ppl say do t restrict ect. But this works for me. And another thing is when you realise that these foods are made to be addictive then you realise why you can’t even have one serving. No one tells an alcoholic to drink in moderation. So why do we tell sugar/ carb addicts to eat it in moderation.

Good luck it’s a constant struggle.

I think someone told me it's called volume eating. You eat large amounts of things that are actually not much calories and it's supposed to be a good exchange for the bingeing feeling.
I'm definitely leaning towards the no cereal rule. It literally never ends well.

amother
  Charcoal  

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 5:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Just stam or when I'm going to the kitchen to eat?
I can try this for sure.

Your current cycle is want cereal, get the cereal, binge eat cereal.

Do anything different! Take the box out when you dont want it. Put it on the table for 5 minutes and put it away. Keep it on the table when you feed your kids. Keep it two inches to the left in the closet. Take 1 peice and eat it standing on one foot. Pretend it's medicine and just have 1 peice with a glass of water. Do anything to teach your brain a different routine and different options. Exposure therapy that you dont always have to go A>B>C. Stopping binge cravings is HARD, teach your brain there are other things possible. Love yourself as if you are teaching a child. It takes patience.

amother
  Charcoal

Post Tue, Sep 17 2024, 5:59 pm
amother Lily wrote:
But regular cereal isn't unhealthy. It's just the quantity which is.

This would still be unhealthy even if we were talking about binging on plain dehydrated apple chips. It the ed mindset thats unhealthy, this starts with the behaviors and thoughts. The specific food is irrelevant.

Agreed that health is not about 1 good or 1 bad food but how much each food makes up of the overall diet. Quanitity matters but this discussion isnt about healthy or unhealthy food. The unhealthy part is the mindset.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise