Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Experience with Strabismus in Babies

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 9:40 am
I've been noticing my baby's eyes not following each other and crossing since he was very young.
When I pointed it out to the doctor at a 6-month appt, he said to keep an eye on it and see how it does.
So when I took him for a checkup last week, (almost 10 months old), I showed it to the dr again and he suggested I go to a pediatric ophthalmologist to check him out.
We have an appt later this week so let's see what the doctor will say but I started going down the Dr Google rabbit hole and I need some reassurance.
Seems like for most children, glasses and patching isn't always effective and they need surgery?
What has been your experience with strabismus in such a young age?
Glasses are bad enough as it is, I'm really worried
Any advice, reassurance, or questions I should ask the doctor are all welcome.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:25 am
Bump

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 10:35 am
There are exercises. It can go away.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 2:10 pm
Each child is totally different when it comes to strabismus. I’ve had one who wears glasses and patches and another who has pseudo strabismus where it just appears the eye is wandering. So far we are not needing surgery so really depends on the severity and if there’s anything else going on.

gdgirl

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 2:15 pm
and sometimes its pseudo strabismus. looks like they cross because of wide bridge of nose. so best not to jump to conclusions and wait to see what the ophthalmologist says. hatzlacha.
that being said there is variety in treatment method and surgery isnt always the answer so id get a second opinion if in fact the doctor recommends that

simcha12plus

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 2:15 pm
my son was born with this.
if it is a tightness of the muscles, exercises may not be enough.
He was cross eyed and his eyeballs could NOT move to the outer edge of his eye. his muscles were too tight to allow that.
He had the surgery done at six months. There was no recovery period for the surgery.
he is 12 and he has a bit of a lazy eye now. his eye wanders a tiny bit. That might have been helped with exercises and patching but he wasn’t disciplined enough with it and he didn’t do the exercises.
he did do patching for a while.
he got glasses for the first time this summer for distance vision.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 5:20 pm
Very interesting to see the varied responses.
With my son I've noticed it with one eye wandering off in either direction, with the other eye the same or both wandering inwards so I can't see how it would be pseudo strabismus but let's see what the Dr will say.
We will be seeing Dr Marc Lustig, he's supposed to be very experienced in such areas, let's see what he'll say.

amother
RosePink

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 6:18 pm
We noticed issues with my daughters eye movements at a couple of months old. She was followed for a while, patched, glasses, waited, and eventually at age 4 had surgery. My daughter was totally fine almost immediately after (needed drops for a few days iirc), and it correctly the problem BH.

BEZH your child will be fine without surgery but if surgery is required, know that it's the best thing for your child, and a bracha that it exists.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 6:19 pm
Dr. Lustig is excellent! I would trust whatever he says.

I had one kid who needed surgery for strabismus and one who had it treated successfully with a patch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics