Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I need ideas or support for this dumb problem
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 9:17 am
I've figured out that my biggest binge trigger is cereal.
It's my favorite food to eat and it's so easy and always around but for some ridiculous reason, I have cereal and it turns into 4-5 bowls of cereal and then I start eating all kinds of other garbage and it's all downhill.
I'm not a perfect eater and there are other bingey foods in my life but this is one I need to tackle.
I have gained and lost the same 5 lbs for almost 3 months because of periodic binges and almost every time it starts with cereal.
How do I stop? I keep saying I will, I last a few days of eating healthy and everything and then one day I just am too tired or wiped and I go for the cereal and it's snowballs from there.
I know stupid problem. Just dont eat the cereal. But Im not sticking to my rule.
Anyone have any ideas to help me with this? How to stop or rather not start with the cereal?
So so embarrassed.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 9:22 am
Short term suggestion: don't bring the cereal into your home.
Long term, I would suggest therapy to get to the root of emotional eating.
Hugs, I've been there before and it sucks.
I just don't allow myself to start with my trigger foods- lots of self control but I'll take that anyday over the post-binge self hating:(

amother
Yolk  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 9:26 am
Do you eat it with milk? Keep yourself fleishig all the time

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 9:40 am
My silly thing with cereal is that the box doesn’t come to the table. I pour a bowl of cereal, put the box away, then bring it to the table and pour the milk. For me, I won’t purposely go back to the cabinet to get the box afterwards. If this is a deeper rooted issue for you I don’t know that this would help, but it stops me from overeating cereal.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 12:30 pm
I can't not have cereal in the house, this is what my family eats for breakfast.
I like the idea of putting it back after one bowl but I really think it's time to just cut it out of my life. I just don't know how to stick to it.
I eat very little fleishigs overall, thats not practical and definitely not practical for the mornings.

Thanks for the person who asked me if I eat it with milk. I used to have a habit of cups of dry cereal one after the other. I didn't realize until right now that I have actually broken that habit at some point. Yay me!

I've tried therapy for my bingeing, I didnt really get very far with it. I know why I binge and how it "helps" me feel. The knowledge doesn't turn off the food noise and the cravings. Bingeing turns that off. My brain tells me to binge and then it's a war in my head, tons of food noise, stress and I give in to shut it all up. I wish I could drive the original "idea" of ohhh maybe eat ______. Therapy has not helped with the practicality of my bingeing, it just gave me awareness and understanding of it. Which is helpful to a degree.
Anyway I didn't want this to be a thread about my binge struggles it more about how to cut out trigger foods- or more accurately- gateway foods.

I can't seem to actually do it.

lovelylife

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 1:24 pm
Make the cereal into a complete meal.
Add don't restrict.

Some options off the top of my head:

Instead of milk, add a protein shake to the bowl.
Make a greek yogurt bowl, top with some fruit and cereal.
Or a fruit smoothie bowl, topped with some cereal.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Geranium  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 1:36 pm
Intuitive eating. Stop the food rules. If you tell yourself it’s bad you want it more. Don’t restrict. If you allow yourself to have it it won’t be as “fun” anymore

amother
Milk

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 1:38 pm
A cup of milk is like 160 calories or something. If you exchange that for a cup of oat milk which is 40 calories then you’re off to a good start. Get diet cereals too? Rice cake type stuff.

amother
  Geranium

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 1:40 pm
amother Milk wrote:
A cup of milk is like 160 calories or something. If you exchange that for a cup of oat milk which is 40 calories then you’re off to a good start. Get diet cereals too? Rice cake type stuff.

What is diet cereal?🤔

patzer

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 1:56 pm
Maybe don't eat cereal when you're very hungry. It can be a challenge to control food intake when your stomach is growling for more.
Maybe the next time you want cereal, eat a satisfying, nutritious food first, and then enjoy your cereal once your hunger is somewhat satisfied.

amother
Myrtle

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 2:02 pm
amother Geranium wrote:
What is diet cereal?🤔

Fiber one!! Reminds me so much of HS. That was the hottest cereal 15 years ago

amother
Hunter

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 2:49 pm
amother Milk wrote:

Cracking up at your amother name Laugh LOL

amother
Lily  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 2:56 pm
Sounds like you can benefit from OA.

tulip3

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 3:04 pm
Prepare egg quiche or a protein smoothie and eat that first and then eat the cereal for dessert.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 3:22 pm
tulip3 wrote:
Prepare egg quiche or a protein smoothie and eat that first and then eat the cereal for dessert.

If you are craving sugar and carbs, try eating protein first. Great idea

simcha12plus

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 3:28 pm
you have to replace the cereal with something else.
if you are a triggered/binge eater, then the urge won’t go away. So you have to find something else that is yummy for you but not as calorie dense. You have to replace reward with other reward.
what can you find in your life that you like, is sweet, crunchy, and delicious to you that you will eat EVERY time you have cereal craving?
for example: I want cereal because now I want sweet and crunchy. What can I eat now, that I actually like, that is sweet and crunchy and will give me those textures, but isn’t hundreds of calories?

(and yes, a big bowl of cereal is hundreds of calories. you can weigh and measure your portion and you will see that, so you need to get rid of the cereal to save hundreds of calories a day)

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 4:45 pm
Yes. Cereal is a big issue for me. I didn’t watch the SouthPark Ozempic episode (because it’s not clean and in general I don’t watch) but apparently it’s the “cereal lobby” fighting against Ozempic to keep people fat. They have a whole car chase where the cartoon cereal characters are shooting at the van that’s transporting Ozempic.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 5:30 pm
simcha12plus wrote:
you have to replace the cereal with something else.
if you are a triggered/binge eater, then the urge won’t go away. So you have to find something else that is yummy for you but not as calorie dense. You have to replace reward with other reward.
what can you find in your life that you like, is sweet, crunchy, and delicious to you that you will eat EVERY time you have cereal craving?
for example: I want cereal because now I want sweet and crunchy. What can I eat now, that I actually like, that is sweet and crunchy and will give me those textures, but isn’t hundreds of calories?

(and yes, a big bowl of cereal is hundreds of calories. you can weigh and measure your portion and you will see that, so you need to get rid of the cereal to save hundreds of calories a day)

I wish I knew what it was about the cereal. I think I actually like the bland taste of it. Proteins taste so intense.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 5:30 pm
amother Lily wrote:
Sounds like you can benefit from OA.

BTDT gained all the weight back plus more.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 5:32 pm
amother Geranium wrote:
Intuitive eating. Stop the food rules. If you tell yourself it’s bad you want it more. Don’t restrict. If you allow yourself to have it it won’t be as “fun” anymore

Tried that too. I practiced with an IE nutritionist eating a bowl of cereal every day. I still had the urge to eat more bowls of cereal. It did nothing to weaken the cravings for multiple bowls of cereal in a row.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise