Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Protein
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

michimochi

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 7:51 pm
Do lentils count as a protein in this diet? Lentils and split peas?

Something you can do to stretch your budget is get whole chickens when you do buy chicken, and use every part. Save the bones and make bone broth. That has a good amount of protein and no carbs!

egam

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 8:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
What powder is tasteless?

None. You can taste and feel them all unfortunately.

mochacoffee  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 8:13 pm
Cottage cheese is very high in protein. Half a cup has about 13 grams and a cup has about 25/26 grams. There are tons of recipes online using cottage cheese in recipes. Cottage cheese mousse, cookies, pancakes, bagels. People even just bake small circles of cottage cheese with everything but the bagel spice as a healthier chip. I would look into any recipes containing cottage cheese and blend it up and start adding it into things.

There are tasteless protein powders out there. I put protein powder in a lot of my food to make sure I'm getting more protein throughout the day. If it's a baked good, I'll put in vanilla protein powder.

AlwaysCleaning

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 8:15 pm
Try eggs in different varieties (fritata, sunny side up, hard boiled)
Canned salmon
Heat a can of Refried beans with a jar of salsa, it makes a rlly great dip
Barilla protein pasta
Feta in salad
Roasted Chickpeas or a chickpea salad

mochacoffee

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 8:17 pm
Also, there are some foods that you eat that may have a higher protein option.
For example, chobani makes a high protein yogurt with around 12-14 grams of protein in each. Target also has high protein yogurts that's a different bran. Target has high protein ice creams.

Also, protein bars are a great way to get protein in throughout the day instead of snacking. Those are expensive though so I started making my own versions which are much cheaper and healthier. High protein banana cake - using half ww flour, adding in chia seeds, few scoops of protein powder etc. Homemade granola bars - adding in chia seeds, peanut or almond butter, oats, honey, few scoops of protein powder and whatever else the recipe called for. High protein pumpkin oat bars. High protein carrot muffins. There are a lot of high protein dessert ideas that you can make at home.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 8:38 pm
mochacoffee wrote:
Also, there are some foods that you eat that may have a higher protein option.
For example, chobani makes a high protein yogurt with around 12-14 grams of protein in each. Target also has high protein yogurts that's a different bran. Target has high protein ice creams.

Also, protein bars are a great way to get protein in throughout the day instead of snacking. Those are expensive though so I started making my own versions which are much cheaper and healthier. High protein banana cake - using half ww flour, adding in chia seeds, few scoops of protein powder etc. Homemade granola bars - adding in chia seeds, peanut or almond butter, oats, honey, few scoops of protein powder and whatever else the recipe called for. High protein pumpkin oat bars. High protein carrot muffins. There are a lot of high protein dessert ideas that you can make at home.

Thanks.
We keep chalav Yisroel so finding good whole milk Greek yogurt is very hard

amother
  Burgundy  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 8:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
Why do you say fat free cheese slices, is full fat cheese less protein? 🤔

Full fat is fat with the protein, fat free is protein and but no fat. If you are trying to increase protein but not fat as well thats why the fat free would be better but its up to you.

Lets say fat free cheese is 25 calories a slice 4g protein
full fat is 60 calories 4g of protein and has another 4g of fat
Its less protein per calorie

amother
  Burgundy

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 8:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. Is there a good kosher tasteless protein powder that doesn’t change taste or texture?

Our family buys orgain from costco which is parave and we are very happy with it but everyone's tastes are different.

amother
Chocolate  

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 11:34 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
Our family buys orgain from costco which is parave and we are very happy with it but everyone's tastes are different.

Organ definitely has a strong flavor.

amother
  Chocolate

Post Sun, Sep 15 2024, 11:39 pm
OP if you can swing this, it’s more expensive in the long run but if you use it 2-3x times a week you can make it last about a month. https://www.nutrisupremevitami.....1-lb/

I take a blender cup, put in a spoon or so of regular coffee, add a little hot water to melt the coffee, then add 2 scoops of protein powder mix with the hot water and coffee to melt (don’t have to melt all the way as the blender helps it blend) , many times I’ll add a huge spoon of peanut butter, a frozen banana, and then a decent amount of milk and possibly some ice cubes (but I usually skip cuz if it’s not a lot of ice cubes it doesn’t make it slushy and just melts into the drink) blend and enjoy. It’s extremely good and tastes like a delicious creamy milkshake.

lovelylife

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 12:28 am
Protein as an addition - not a main. Still ups your protein intake.

Add a cup or two of red lentils to butternut squash/carrot/sweet potato soup. Blend.
Add 2 cans of white beans instead of cream or potato to any creamy soup.
Add greek yogurt instead of mayo to any creamy dressing. If you want to keep it pareve, silken tofu does the same job, you just have to blend it.
Add cottage cheese to pasta sauce.
Add greek yogurt to smoothies for protein (I do this instead of protein powder, cuz not a single one tastes good. I've tried them all.)

Protein as a main options - budget friendly.

Use the chicken from the shabbos chicken soup - I fry it with onions, and use for tacos.
Cans of salmon (you mentioned you're getting bored of tuna)
You can try making a mashed chickpea salad (I like the one from rainbowplantlife.com)
Edamame is a great snack (I love to microwave the whole ones with salt and suck them out of the shell. The shelled ones are great roasted with oil and salt. Also a great salad crouton).
Whole chickens are usually cheaper - you can roast at the beginning of the week and have a rotiserrie chicken in the fridge. Great to add to salads, wraps, make chicken salad out of....

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 3:04 am
amother Burgundy wrote:
Full fat is fat with the protein, fat free is protein and but no fat. If you are trying to increase protein but not fat as well thats why the fat free would be better but its up to you.

Lets say fat free cheese is 25 calories a slice 4g protein
full fat is 60 calories 4g of protein and has another 4g of fat
Its less protein per calorie

No I didn’t say anything about no fat, or calories. I’m not counting calories and I’m not cutting fat. Why the assumption?

Im looking to add more protein that’s all

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 3:07 am
amother OP wrote:
No I didn’t say anything about no fat, or calories. I’m not counting calories and I’m not cutting fat. Why the assumption?

The assumption is based on Diet Culture.
Those in it, don't even realize it.
Those out of it, can't unsee it.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 3:16 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
The assumption is based on Diet Culture.
Those in it, don't even realize it.
Those out of it, can't unsee it.

Yes. It’s so sad. Why does everything “nutrition”
have to be about diets and cutting out?
In fact healthier nutrition is about adding rather than cutting out

DVOM

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 3:25 am
Whole Greek yogurt

Chick peas (my favorite protein! Saute with onions, add tomato sauce and spices, stew for a bit, add some chunks of fresh mozzarella and stick it under the broiler. Yummy!)

Beans are so yummy. Try a vegetarian chili (because you said you don't like chip meat) full of veggies and spice. Or a veggie bean soup. So good!

amother
Foxglove  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 4:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. Is there a good kosher tasteless protein powder that doesn’t change taste or texture?

If you get pure whey protein isolate in a natural flavour it should be almost tasteless. I don't know if there's c"y, but Google around. When I say "almost" I mean that I can taste it unless I add cinnamon to my smoothie, then I don't taste it at all.

amother
  Foxglove  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 4:23 am
amother OP wrote:

I'm not the ima you responded to. Just my experience, but when I was trying to increase my protein, I did also want to lose weight so I noticed the following:

It can be difficult to take a very high protein diet without also increasing daily intake of calories, often to more than what the typical person needs. This is because most high protein foods also have high fats (like animal products) or carbs (like beans, lentils). In moderation, these can all be healthy so it's not a bad thing. And if you're looking to increase your protein but not to have more protein than what's regularly recommended, you'll probably be fine.

But if you're looking to have more protein than what's recommended daily (sorry, I forgot what your OP specifically asked for, so maybe this doesn't apply to you), and if you're also not looking to gain weight, then it's something to be aware of. Whey protein isolate is one of the only things I found that didn't give you more calories than what you specifically wanted from the protein.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 4:54 am
amother Foxglove wrote:
I'm not the ima you responded to. Just my experience, but when I was trying to increase my protein, I did also want to lose weight so I noticed the following:

It can be difficult to take a very high protein diet without also increasing daily intake of calories, often to more than what the typical person needs. This is because most high protein foods also have high fats (like animal products) or carbs (like beans, lentils). In moderation, these can all be healthy so it's not a bad thing. And if you're looking to increase your protein but not to have more protein than what's regularly recommended, you'll probably be fine.

But if you're looking to have more protein than what's recommended daily (sorry, I forgot what your OP specifically asked for, so maybe this doesn't apply to you), and if you're also not looking to gain weight, then it's something to be aware of. Whey protein isolate is one of the only things I found that didn't give you more calories than what you specifically wanted from the protein.

Thanks but I didn’t say anything about trying to lose weight. Why does that have to be the assumption? Why are we so weight focused?

amother
Aqua  

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 5:01 am
If you're looking to increase protein, liver is the way to go. The most bang for your buck, and relatively cheap.

amother
  Foxglove

Post Mon, Sep 16 2024, 5:10 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks but I didn’t say anything about trying to lose weight. Why does that have to be the assumption? Why are we so weight focused?

I didn't bring up weight loss. I was responding to your post about why someone else brought it up. And what I tried to convey was that it's hard to go higher than rdi protein without specifically gaining weight. So I could see why someone would raise lower calories in another area while increasing protein. Unless someone specifically says they're trying to gain weight, it's normal to assume they aren't. But whatever. If that doesn't apply to you, move on. Who cares?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics